Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 730 replies

crgreen

Re: Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2013, 08:13:09 PM »
Man CR and his tangents ;)

I am all for taking risks but I don't know if we are there with scholarship distribution yet.

Certainly wasn't thinking for this class.   But we definately lose Orlando, Gift and Marco after next season.  Very likely Jakarr and possibly D'Lo.   So at least 4 rides and possibly 5,  with a core of Jordan, Green, Branch, Pointer, Balamou, Obekpa, Hooper, and Jones  back for 2015.  We'll need bigs anyway - if we get an elite big, that would be terrific.  But if not, more than willing for Steve to take an end of the bench roster spot flyer on a Ryan Hollins or Mike Fey.   In his 9 years as a head coach Steve Lavin has only signed 4 scholarship players over 6'9 - Dan Gadzuric, Jerome Moiso, Ryan Hollins and Mike Fey.  Gadzuric and Moiso were elite, early contributors.  Hollins and Fey were "sleeper" project guys, who developed over time in the program.   All but Fey were NBA players, Fey was a 15/8 guy in the NBDL, with a real nice Euro career.

Moose

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2013, 08:25:17 PM »
Man CR and his tangents ;)

I am all for taking risks but I don't know if we are there with scholarship distribution yet.

Certainly wasn't thinking for this class.   But we definately lose Orlando, Gift and Marco after next season.  Very likely Jakarr and possibly D'Lo.   So at least 4 rides and possibly 5,  with a core of Jordan, Green, Branch, Pointer, Balamou, Obekpa, Hooper, and Jones  back for 2015.  We'll need bigs anyway - if we get an elite big, that would be terrific.  But if not, more than willing for Steve to take an end of the bench roster spot flyer on a Ryan Hollins or Mike Fey.   In his 9 years as a head coach Steve Lavin has only signed 4 scholarship players over 6'9 - Dan Gadzuric, Jerome Moiso, Ryan Hollins and Mike Fey.  Gadzuric and Moiso were elite, early contributors.  Hollins and Fey were "sleeper" project guys, who developed over time in the program.   All but Fey were NBA players, Fey was a 15/8 guy in the NBDL, with a real nice Euro career.

I was talking to someone else and we agreed '15 would be the time we can start taking a risk again.  '14 we have to replace arguably Sanchez and Sampson.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 03:29:29 AM »
Heeeelllllll nnnnnnnooooooo

Six ten, 260? Has he murdered anyone? If not, hell yes. Travion Leonard ate our lunch this year. And probably everyone else's. A big fat dope is exactly what this team needs. Georgetown's offered, Pitt's going to. Sold. I'd rather have Sean Muto II than another wing.

Travion Leonard?
He had 8 pts and 4 boards.
Canty was the frontcourt player who killed us for Fordham

And Teague on Seton Hall.  But DeLa Rosa is nowhere near Teague.

There's a pretty long list of front court players who had one of their best games of the season against us.
Remember Jefferson from Baylor?  (20 pts 14reb)
Canty (15/16)
Teague (22/5)
Lubbick (16/10)
Rudd (18/11)
Yarou dropped 18 in the BE tourny game

I'm not saying I want this guy.  I admittedly don't know enough.  In general though, I'm a big fan of having one behemoth on the roster, because there are always a handful of matchups where they're needed. 
And, if you draw a team with two bigs in the 1st round of the NCAAs you could be shit out of luck if your roster isn't well rounded.   
Continuing a long tradition of St. John's allowing oppossing players to have career games against us!  ::) :(

Foad

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 09:32:04 AM »
You want another Coker?

By Coker do you mean Dele Coker the 6'10" 4-star recruit? Yes please, I'd love another Dele Coker. As long as he's not tutored by anyone called Quartlebaum or Roberts I'd be fine with it. Q: If this staff can't take a project and turn him into a player, why are they worth all the money they're getting? Q: if this kid is no good how come he's hearing from Georgetown, Pitt and Uconn, three teams with a history of putting big men in the NBA? What do they see that you don't?

Caveat. I've never seen whoever this guy is and never heard of him before this thread. Maybe he's a big fat slob with zero work ethic. But if not <cliche> you can't teach size </cliche> but you can teach footwork. Big men mature late. Assume Sampson and Obekpa leave after next year; Gift and Sanchez are gone: we have nobody bigger than 6'6". That's not's a recipe for success.

MCNPA

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 10:41:28 AM »
I agree with Foad here.  We will be losing a lot of height.  I looked at Rivals top 150 for 2014 and there are only 21 players 6'9" or taller. 

Not sure that Delarosa is the answer, but it may explain our interest in pursuing a guy like Uchebo for a senior like Gift. 

Moose

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »
You want another Coker?

By Coker do you mean Dele Coker the 6'10" 4-star recruit? Yes please, I'd love another Dele Coker. As long as he's not tutored by anyone called Quartlebaum or Roberts I'd be fine with it. Q: If this staff can't take a project and turn him into a player, why are they worth all the money they're getting? Q: if this kid is no good how come he's hearing from Georgetown, Pitt and Uconn, three teams with a history of putting big men in the NBA? What do they see that you don't?

Caveat. I've never seen whoever this guy is and never heard of him before this thread. Maybe he's a big fat slob with zero work ethic. But if not <cliche> you can't teach size </cliche> but you can teach footwork. Big men mature late. Assume Sampson and Obekpa leave after next year; Gift and Sanchez are gone: we have nobody bigger than 6'6". That's not's a recipe for success.

I agree with you.  I'm all for another Coker.  Adonis will never see 4 stars.  Probably won't even see 3 stars.

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 01:59:40 PM »
I'm picturing a smaller (if 6'10" can be called small) Curtis Johnson.

Moose

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 02:01:49 PM »

Well I mean he's better than that :)

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 02:10:18 PM »

Well I mean he's better than that :)

Jasiulonas?

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 05:11:38 PM »
Stats:

http://ctkhoops.d1scout.com/index.cfm?page=PlayerBio&TeamID=883&SeasonID=1536&ID=20974

I'm not sure I'd even recruit him to NYU with those numbers.

Not to mention, 250 lbs. is being kind.  That big (girth) at 6'10", he is easily at 300 lbs.

kob24

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 12:55:10 AM »
Foad my brother trust me. Heeeeelllllll NO!!!!!!! If u watched him and reread ur comment u would stand in front of a mirror put chalk in your hand and slap yourself.i agree that the wings and lack of size and skill kills this team, but that don't mean you have to recruit a big body kid that in my opinion isn't that skilled. Gtown can recruit a player like him because they have room for a mistake. St. John's doesn't. I don't want to knock him but right now he is a low to mid major.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:57:02 AM by kob24 »

paultzman

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 01:29:29 PM »
Surprising if true;

“@TheRecruitScoop: Florida State has offered 2014 big man Adonis Delarosa of the New Rens (NY), I'm told.”

Moose

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
Surprising if true;

“@TheRecruitScoop: Florida State has offered 2014 big man Adonis Delarosa of the New Rens (NY), I'm told.”

They like big men projects.  They can afford it to.  We still can't based on our ship distribution.

kob24

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 10:39:30 PM »
Florida state has no choice. They probably put all their eggs in one basket for wiggins and is behind the ball right now

paultzman

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2013, 04:40:08 PM »
I know we aren't and shouldn't be recruiting him, but thought this was interesting;

New York big still getting bigger
Adonis De La Rosa stood out easily enough at last year’s Reebok Breakout Camp–it was tough to miss the 6-10, 260-pound center. Now it’s even tougher to miss the Christ the King (N.Y.) center, as he recently measured in at 7 feet tall and 280 pounds.

De La Rosa’s size, solid hands and surprising athleticism given his frame have some of the top programs in the country poking around. In addition to last year’s offer from Drexel, he’s added two more in Georgetown and Florida State.

“I’m pending on an offer from Pittsburgh, but I have picked up a lot more interest,” he said. “Miami, Tennessee, Memphis, and a whole bunch of guys like Wake Forest and Kansas State, Kansas, and Minnesota, so it’s been going good so far and I’m just happy right now.”

A good student with a 3.50 GPA, De La Rosa said he’s waiting for his SAT scores before he starts taking his visits.

“At this point I’m really open to everybody, so I’m just weighing my options,” he said. “I just want a school that is great academically and can get me to the next level with a great coach that has produced pros.”

“@jmverlin: First set of notes from yesterday's Villanova team camp. Got stuff on St. Joe's Prep, @PVIHoops' Evan Taylor + more: http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2013/06/villanova-team-camp-notebook-part-1/
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 04:40:33 PM by paultzman »

crgreen

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2013, 06:18:43 AM »
Stats:

http://ctkhoops.d1scout.com/index.cfm?page=PlayerBio&TeamID=883&SeasonID=1536&ID=20974

I'm not sure I'd even recruit him to NYU with those numbers.

Not to mention, 250 lbs. is being kind.  That big (girth) at 6'10", he is easily at 300 lbs.

SOOOOO....you're saying NOT an Adonis?   :D

MCNPA

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2013, 09:28:16 AM »
The kid runs the court like Cujo.  This is not the player we need.

kob24

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
Adonis reminds me of one of my older players name Brian Williams. He played for Tennessee. When Brian was in Columbus high school in the neon he was over weight and couldn't score. It took him a whole aau summer and a year in prep school to get him in basketball form and then a whole year at Tennessee to see playing time. Adonis could end up like this but I think St. John's need studs right