Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 730 replies

Moose

Re: Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY
« Reply #360 on: March 07, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »
He had 12 points and either 9 or 10 boards, 1 assist.  He has post moves.  Arguably better than anyone on our team, not sure what that says.  Problems are conditioning is horrible still and he can't jump over a phone book.  Would still serve us a purpose and I stand by that.  Helped them break a press reliable inbounds option.  When he has the ball at the FT line he can shoot the jumper or make a nice cut pass which he did tonight.

I will say what I said after the game @Hall.  I wish we had a former big man to teach Chris and I think Adonis can benefit from some first hand experience as well if he was to come here.

Moose,

Just from seeing him in the Daily News, I like his size. Wouldn't want to see him lose weight, just tighten up and get stronger. What would you say ?

He's lost a lot of weight already.  I'm not Marillac and an expert on appropriate height weight ratio :)

He just needs to condition himself better.  He is probably playing more and more than he has before when condition was even less.  He is on the right track.  Whatever college gets him of course will give him better resources to continue his transformation.
Remember who broke the Slice news

DFF6

« Reply #361 on: March 07, 2014, 10:03:55 AM »
He had 12 points and either 9 or 10 boards, 1 assist.  He has post moves.  Arguably better than anyone on our team, not sure what that says.  Problems are conditioning is horrible still and he can't jump over a phone book.  Would still serve us a purpose and I stand by that.  Helped them break a press reliable inbounds option.  When he has the ball at the FT line he can shoot the jumper or make a nice cut pass which he did tonight.

I will say what I said after the game @Hall.  I wish we had a former big man to teach Chris and I think Adonis can benefit from some first hand experience as well if he was to come here.

Moose,

Just from seeing him in the Daily News, I like his size. Wouldn't want to see him lose weight, just tighten up and get stronger. What would you say ?

He's lost a lot of weight already.  I'm not Marillac and an expert on appropriate height weight ratio :)

He just needs to condition himself better.  He is probably playing more and more than he has before when condition was even less.  He is on the right track.  Whatever college gets him of course will give him better resources to continue his transformation.

If the size and skills are there but the conditioning needs work, that, IMO, is a no-brainer.  You have to think DeLaRosa wants to succeed at the next level.  In high school, being a 300 lbs mammoth in the middle is enough to be successful, so he's had little motivation to push himself.  With the right staff, this kid could be a special player, and one that we SJU fans usually look at on another team and ask ourselves, "how did we miss him??!"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:04:41 AM by DFF6 »

paultzman

« Reply #362 on: March 07, 2014, 10:10:28 AM »

Moose,

If the size and skills are there but the conditioning needs work, that, IMO, is a no-brainer.  You have to think DeLaRosa wants to succeed at the next level.  In high school, being a 300 lbs mammoth in the middle is enough to be successful, so he's had little motivation to push himself.  With the right staff, this kid could be a special player, and one that we SJU fans usually look at on another team and ask ourselves, "how did we miss him??!"

Have changed my mind on him. Worth the investment. Tom Konchalski thinks so as well. I saw his 6' 9" brother Joey there cheering Adonis on. He left FIU after two years.

edit - Just told more like 6'11
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:51:17 AM by paultzman »

hnk

« Reply #363 on: March 07, 2014, 10:25:07 AM »
I'd like to see him  twelve weeks after he starts jumping rope many times a day ten minutes at a time.  He has already made tremendous progress on his body.  He has soft hands and a decent touch.   He will be fun to watch as he gets better and better.  It's not that he can't get up and down the court.  It's that he needs work getting up into the air.

Moose

« Reply #364 on: March 07, 2014, 10:27:10 AM »
I'd like to see him  twelve weeks after he starts jumping rope many times a day ten minutes at a time.  He has already made tremendous progress on his body.  He has soft hands and a decent touch.   He will be fun to watch as he gets better and better.  It's not that he can't get up and down the court.  It's that he needs work getting up into the air.

He struggles up and down the court and in the air.  I'm less concerned about getting in the air.  We have enough freakish athletes jumping out of building that wouldn't know a post move if it smacked them in the face.  Plenty of players who couldnt jump over the Yellow Pages were craft and successful.

hnk

« Reply #365 on: March 07, 2014, 10:32:34 AM »
Mostly agree, but it would be nice if he developed a six inch vertical.   His wind is already way better than it was.

Tha Kid

« Reply #366 on: March 07, 2014, 10:33:38 AM »

Moose,

Once he gets on a college conditioning program, assuming he works hard at it, sooner or later he'll be an Adonis. ;)
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #367 on: March 07, 2014, 10:44:48 AM »

Moose,

I'm 6'1 235...I'd hardly qualify as an expert in height/weight ratio!  I think everyone should put on 15 pounds of muscle.

« Reply #368 on: March 07, 2014, 11:26:27 AM »
He's a big boy.  Physically reminds me of Sean Evans or a taller Anthony Glover.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:27:04 AM by redmen4life »

Moose

« Reply #369 on: March 07, 2014, 11:32:43 AM »
He's really close to Teague of Hall.  He is a little taller though and Teague is lot of muscle.  Adonis still has the baby fat.

Poison

« Reply #370 on: March 07, 2014, 11:39:49 AM »
Adonis Delarosa will announce his college decision April 18 and has a top five of South Carolina, St. John’s, Fordham, Rutgers and Hofstra, Christ the King coach Joe Arbitello told SNY.tv.

http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/delarosa-to-announce-april-18/

I have only seen a little video of this guy. Does it raise an eyebrow with anyone else that the other schools recruiting him have pretty bad programs? What's the upside here?

« Reply #371 on: March 07, 2014, 11:42:37 AM »
Adonis Delarosa will announce his college decision April 18 and has a top five of South Carolina, St. John’s, Fordham, Rutgers and Hofstra, Christ the King coach Joe Arbitello told SNY.tv.

http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/delarosa-to-announce-april-18/

I have only seen a little video of this guy. Does it raise an eyebrow with anyone else that the other schools recruiting him have pretty bad programs? What's the upside here?

Exactly what I was thinking.  Staff must be pulling a Norm. 

Marillac

« Reply #372 on: March 07, 2014, 11:48:05 AM »
He's a big boy.  Physically reminds me of Sean Evans or a taller Anthony Glover.

Atson looks huge there.  How tall is he?  First time I've seen a picture of him not screaming. 

Moose

« Reply #373 on: March 07, 2014, 12:00:25 PM »

Atson looks huge there.  How tall is he?  First time I've seen a picture of him not screaming. 

He is 6'5 if lucky.
Relax

paultzman

« Reply #374 on: March 07, 2014, 12:07:28 PM »
Atson is MAAC player at best. Why all the love for him?  Ask local evaluators like Konchalski & they will tell you Quinnipiac is a good fit.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:08:54 PM by redmen4life »

Marillac

« Reply #376 on: March 07, 2014, 01:17:02 PM »
Atson is MAAC player at best. Why all the love for him?  Ask local evaluators like Konchalski & they will tell you Quinnipiac is a good fit.

I've mentioned him once in my life and I asked how tall he was.  I wouldn't call that love. 

cjfish

« Reply #377 on: March 07, 2014, 01:44:10 PM »
Havent seen the kid but with his size and good hands with an ability to score in the post, sign him up.  Lack of hops is not a big deal, jumping overated. (see Jerry Lucas, wayne Embry, Dennis Rodman (rebounded mostly flatfooted). Shaq and, of course, Bird.  Good interior movement and boxing out with a big ass goes a long way.  He will get guys in foul trouble if he boxes out intelligently because they will try to jump over him.  Conditioning is definitely the only issue but I love lower body size.

« Reply #378 on: March 07, 2014, 01:46:35 PM »
The guy who was covering for Zagsblog tweeted and deleted that he talked to Lavin and Lavs said he liked Delarosa because he was "old school".

goredmen

« Reply #379 on: March 07, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
The guy who was covering for Zagsblog tweeted and deleted that he talked to Lavin and Lavs said he liked Delarosa because he was "old school".

Good thing that got deleted before anybody from the NCAA violations office saw it