Obekpa

• 479 replies

Poison

Re: Obekpa
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2014, 09:17:08 PM »
The internet really needs an idiot button.

It sure does.

Remember in December when you called anyone an "idiot" for not recognizing that Lavin was the answer? Just think how much easier that would have been if all you had to do was push a button. Maybe what the internet really needs is an, I'm sorry I called you can idiot, as it turns out, it looks like I'm the idiot, button.

« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2014, 09:38:28 PM »
I think what SJU should do is first fire Coach Lavin and then hire this board, or at least certain members, as the search committee.

And then when this search committee hires the next great coach as part of the job description the new coach needs to address publicly every rumor that goes out on twitter so we don't have to waste our Sunday evenings on a chat board speculating about what is going on.

I am going to tell Monasch that right now, he is the booth right next to me.

desco80

« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2014, 11:53:04 PM »
The program has become a joke under Lavin, and I'm f?$king sick of it.
We stunk under Norm, Jarvis was lazy, and Fran was almost as self absorbed as Lavin.   But this is a different type of sting.   This stings because he raised expectations, and convinced half our fan base that he was doing things the right way, that he had a plan he was following, and that there was a bright light at the end of the tunnel.   There isn't.  There's just a pile of Lavin do-do at the end of this rainbow.   

And I'm tired of hearing how he's good for the university.  He's not!   The guy has no credibility.  He's brought in a number of me first players, has been unable to get them to buy in, and has been unable to develop the few team players he does have.   

Just end this now.  His results aren't as bad as Norms, but it's obvious to me nothing good is going to happen under Steve.   Enough. 
Anyone but Lavin is my new nominee for head coach.

Do you really think the school would pay him two more years salary, and lay out money for a replacement as well?  I don't see it.

They would need to get help from donors to buy out Lavin.   If you believe the rumors and Baldis innuendo, those people are willing to pitch in.
But to answer your question, no.  I can't see SJU doing that.  This is the first coach they've paid big bucks, they're not going to all of a sudden be willing to pay two coaches over 1mil.   Unless Lavins contract allows him to be bought out for less than full value. 

MCNPA

« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2014, 12:07:53 AM »
I think what SJU should do is first fire Coach Lavin and then hire this board, or at least certain members, as the search committee.

And then when this search committee hires the next great coach as part of the job description the new coach needs to address publicly every rumor that goes out on twitter so we don't have to waste our Sunday evenings on a chat board speculating about what is going on.

I'm fine with keeping Lavin through his contract.  I just want Lavin to come up with some sort of answer to the severely depleted roster and 2014' recruiting class.  The answers I don't want are "we can play like Villanova next year" and "i like our roster as is". 

If he didn't say these ridiculous things, I don't think as many of the fans wouldn't feel this strongly about it.  Lavin made this a lot worse by opening his mouth to the media with mind boggling comments. 

His biggest mistake wasn't even our underachieving this year.  It was botching the 2014' recruiting class so badly that we have to do a total rebuild after this year with nothing in the cupboard except Felix Balamou and Christian Jones.  As good as Lavin's recruiting push was in the beginning, he has fallen off a cliff here.  I keep hearing about the 15' class, but we needed a few studs in this 14' class to prime so we aren't "the youngest team in America" for the next 4 years.

Marillac

« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2014, 01:55:58 AM »
If this was a sinking ship or any type of emergency, the first thing I'd have to do would be to knock half you guys out for your own good.  Jesus Christ do you guys panic quickly or what?  WTF.

To date, we've lost a kid to the effing NBA draft and his best friend who graduated.  This twit Jayon is just trying to keep his fifteen minutes going by throwing sh*t at the wall and seeing what sticks.  Lucky for him, if it doesn't quite stick, Marco Baldi will be happy to pick it up and slap it back on the wall along with some other sh*t he head from a guy in Columbus Circle wearing a St. John's hat. 

Relax guys. 

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:00:26 AM by Marillac »

LJSA

« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2014, 02:39:03 AM »
If this was a sinking ship or any type of emergency, the first thing I'd have to do would be to knock half you guys out for your own good.  Jesus Christ do you guys panic quickly or what?  WTF.

The problem with that is that you'd only be able to save two or three of us, while the rest burned to death or drowned while unconscious. Just be sure to remember your old buddy LJSA when it comes time to load the lifeboats.  ;D

« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2014, 08:12:45 AM »

I'm fine with keeping Lavin through his contract.  I just want Lavin to come up with some sort of answer to the severely depleted roster and 2014' recruiting class.  The answers I don't want are "we can play like Villanova next year" and "i like our roster as is". 

If he didn't say these ridiculous things, I don't think as many of the fans wouldn't feel this strongly about it.  Lavin made this a lot worse by opening his mouth to the media with mind boggling comments. 

His biggest mistake wasn't even our underachieving this year.  It was botching the 2014' recruiting class so badly that we have to do a total rebuild after this year with nothing in the cupboard except Felix Balamou and Christian Jones.  As good as Lavin's recruiting push was in the beginning, he has fallen off a cliff here.  I keep hearing about the 15' class, but we needed a few studs in this 14' class to prime so we aren't "the youngest team in America" for the next 4 years.
I'd love for Lavin to succeed...but he's too much of a fantasizer, I think.  He fantasized that the team would be good at the end of the season...now he fantasizes that we're going to have a great 2015 class.  The problem is he has the rest of us doing the same.  I wrote, "I think", because I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's not a liar.

« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2014, 06:25:42 PM »

To date, we've lost a kid to the effing NBA draft and his best friend who graduated.  This twit Jayon is just trying to keep his fifteen minutes going by throwing sh*t at the wall and seeing what sticks.  Lucky for him, if it doesn't quite stick, Marco Baldi will be happy to pick it up and slap it back on the wall along with some other sh*t he head from a guy in Columbus Circle wearing a St. John's hat. 

Relax guys. 

One who thinks he left for the NBA draft, he may not be drafted. Especially if they believe your scouting report.  :)

pmg911

« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2014, 07:02:16 AM »

Relax guys. 

Hooper will graduate his year..?

Will he be able to play right away with 2 years of eligibility left..?

« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2014, 01:28:29 PM »
Yes, Hooper graduates this year and will be able to play immediately. I believe he has two years of eligibility left.

Poison

« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2014, 02:05:08 PM »
Hooper is easily replaced, and upgraded. The issue is Sampson's and Sanchez' inside scoring. We can live without their defense which I thought was pretty lousy, and certainly not at a BE level, let alone an NBA one. We need 2 guys that can score inside, and we need at least one of them to be able to do that right away.

ras

« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2014, 02:05:30 PM »
Hooper is graduate student will be able to play immediately.     Johnyshorejohnny on redmen.com heard from a reliable source CO is leaving. I do not think this is an April fools joke.

paultzman

« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2014, 02:09:05 PM »
A reliable Redmen poster just confirmed Obekpa is definitely leaving. Any trend here guys or are we going to rationalize this one as well. Next shoe to drop?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:10:40 PM by paultzman »

goredmen

« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »
A reliable Redmen poster just confirmed Obekpa is definitely leaving. Any trend here guys or are we going to rationalize this one as well. Next shoe to drop?

Hopefully Lavin

ras

« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »
In a way this is worse than the Norm years . We had such high expetations. What would Lavins excuse be if we have 8  players on scholi. next year. Oh yeah Joey Delarusa and a walk on could always use 2 scholis.

« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2014, 02:25:51 PM »
Is it better to have loved and lost, or to have not loved at all?

With Norm there was no love, with Lavin there was tons, oozing potential with top class after top class, only to have all of them leave.....

DFF6

« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2014, 02:28:04 PM »

Love the avatar change Paultz!  I'm waiting for an infringement suit from Moose on mine. 

paultzman

« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2014, 02:30:28 PM »

Love the avatar change Paultz!  I'm waiting for an infringement suit from Moose on mine. 

I may see him in Borneo next week & will advocate for you.

DFF6

« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2014, 02:32:57 PM »

I may see him in Borneo next week & will advocate for you.

Awesome!  Thanks!  I'm happy to negotiate a reasonable licensing fee involving beer and wings.

Marillac

« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2014, 02:42:45 PM »
Hooper is graduate student will be able to play immediately.     Johnyshorejohnny on redmen.com heard from a reliable source CO is leaving. I do not think this is an April fools joke.

Maybe not from him, but maybe the good source he has didn't was fooled by a prank.  I'm not going to believe anything until tomorrow.