Obekpa

• 479 replies
Re: Obekpa
« Reply #240 on: April 03, 2014, 07:07:27 PM »
Dude is 20 years old right now, by the time he sits out a year he is 21, by the time he plays for his new school he is 22.

At 22, with no offensive game, GOOD LUCK getting drafted. If he stays another year at that school and is 23. It's over

Like Sampson, he needs to capitalize on ANYTHING he has now, or there wont be anything left later.
Yeah because we all know life is over at age 23.

In todays "potential" NBA world it is. Why draft a kid who you need to develop and is 23, when you could draft a kid you need to develop who is 19??

Killpatrick won't sniff the NBA due mostly to his age. Obekpa will be in the same spot.

« Reply #241 on: April 03, 2014, 07:14:17 PM »
Guys make the league at all ages even after bouncing around all over. Knicks took Prigioni at age 35. The stars eat up the salary cap and teams look to fill out their now 15 man rosters. If Kilpatrick is good enough you really think one year older makes a difference. john Starks and Anthony Mason came to Knicks at an advanced age even after Starks spent time bagging groceries. At least Kilpatrick was playing basketball.

« Reply #242 on: April 03, 2014, 11:18:55 PM »
I wonder if the players want Obekpa back after the stunt he pulled?
The remaining players took a vote: the results were 1-0 that he should leave.

HA!
Who did Harrison report his vote too? I don't think the coach is staying either.
Is it too late to hire Mckillop?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:20:00 PM by we are sju »

paultzman

« Reply #243 on: April 04, 2014, 05:11:08 PM »

LJSA

« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2014, 03:11:07 AM »
Is it too late to hire Mckillop?

Unfortunately, the time for that was probably before they named the court after him.

I'm starting to really wish he'd been hired the first time his name surfaced in a SJU coaching search.

Tiger

« Reply #245 on: April 06, 2014, 07:19:01 AM »
Please tell me I'm wrong.  I am sensing there was some kind of locker room  'explosion' around the last game of the regular season.  I'm speculating that this 'explosion' was between the staff and Obekpa and had to do with the staff's repeated (season long) request to do something and Obekpa's repeated determination not to do it.  Unfortunately, what ever was said, disrupted the team chemistry to point that everyone just wanted the season to end.  'Cause, basically the boys quit at the end of the year.  Can I blame the disappointments of the 2013-14 season entirely on Obekpa and not on anyone else?  There were times in January when I saw Obekpa's offensive game show signs of productivity, his free throws were better, but overall his development was slower than I would have expected.

Foad

« Reply #246 on: April 06, 2014, 07:37:54 AM »
Please tell me I'm wrong.

You're wrong.

jsk

« Reply #247 on: April 06, 2014, 11:01:59 AM »
I realize that CO has a blanket release. However, is it still a possibility that he realizes that the grass is not greener elsewhere and asks to be re-instated? I don't intend this as a joke, rather as a constructive comment. As Yogi said "It ain't over til it's over!"  ???

paultzman

« Reply #248 on: April 06, 2014, 11:06:32 AM »
I realize that CO has a blanket release. However, is it still a possibility that he realizes that the grass is not greener elsewhere and asks to be re-instated? I don't intend this as a joke, rather as a constructive comment. As Yogi said "It ain't over til it's over!"  ???

Not possible. Let's move on.

« Reply #249 on: April 06, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »
I realize that CO has a blanket release.

What is a blanket release?

paultzman

« Reply #250 on: April 06, 2014, 12:30:50 PM »

Besides teams in BE, he can go anywhere.

« Reply #251 on: April 06, 2014, 02:02:12 PM »

Besides teams in BE, he can go anywhere.

Thanks.

pmg911

« Reply #252 on: April 07, 2014, 01:40:22 PM »
Hearing Florida is in VERY good shape...    he told two schools in the north that he wanted to go someplace warm...

Foad

« Reply #253 on: April 07, 2014, 01:51:49 PM »
Hearing Florida is in VERY good shape...    he told two schools in the north that he wanted to go someplace warm...

Wherever you move me, I asked once and I tell you again, I don't want to go any place cold.

You don't have a choice.

Come on. Whoever controls it, just no place cold. Do that for me.

He's bronchial, that's why.

If he's bronchial we'll consider that.

I'd like to go someplace not cold.

Tha Kid

« Reply #254 on: April 07, 2014, 01:55:19 PM »

Man he's gonna be pissed when we hire Billy Donovan for next year!  ;)
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #255 on: April 07, 2014, 02:08:02 PM »
Well, the staff better be getting ready for possible soon to transfer Terps' Shaq Cleare.  Turgeon just signed another 7 footer, Cekovsky, to go with Trayvon Reed.  No more room at the inn, which means Cleare must have told Turge he's thinking of movin' on. Shaq has improved at a slower pace than Turge wanted, but he's only been playing bball for 5 years.  He's got very good size, and could make a good starter with a another year of practice under his belt. 

Only my speculation on this as I don't usually discuss potential xfers that haven't happened yet, but given the dire circumstances of SJ's, I want a heads up going out there to BE READY....3,2,1....Beggars can't be choosers....plus, Scott Drew's probably been sniffing Shaq up and down since Shaq attended HS in Texas.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:13:42 PM by bball purist »

pmg911

« Reply #256 on: April 07, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »

Wherever you move me, I asked once and I tell you again, I don't want to go any place cold.

You don't have a choice.

Its funny you used that exact scene from Goodfellas...

The attorney they are talking to the move in that scene, Ed McDonald, actually played himself in the movie. The very first CYO basketball team I coached in Brooklyn, we played against him all the time. He was from downtown Brooklyn and coached his son's  St. Savior team...

« Reply #257 on: April 07, 2014, 03:28:04 PM »

You don't have a choice.

The attorney they are talking to the move in that scene, Ed McDonald, actually played himself in the movie. The very first CYO basketball team I coached in Brooklyn, we played against him all the time. He was from downtown Brooklyn and coached his son's  St. Savior team...

Small world.  Just spoke to him, had no idea he was in goodfellas and actually did that in real life

« Reply #258 on: April 07, 2014, 03:55:36 PM »

You don't have a choice.

Small world.  Just spoke to him, had no idea he was in goodfellas and actually did that in real life
And Chuck Low was similar to his character - Morrie was skipping out on his electric bills to Con Ed for some time.  He needed to be "hunted down" to pay his bills.  I know because my dad's unit collected on his lame ass.

« Reply #259 on: April 11, 2014, 11:10:02 PM »
Interesting.....

StJohnsBasketball ‏@StJohnsBBall 
Definitely can. “@yelbeeez: Once a player has already been given his release, can he then change his mind and no longer transfer? #sjubb”