Obekpa

• 479 replies

Pete88

Re: Obekpa
« Reply #260 on: April 11, 2014, 11:45:34 PM »
Who is that asking the question?

« Reply #261 on: April 11, 2014, 11:51:58 PM »
Appears to be random fan asking the question.   How is it relevant?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #262 on: April 12, 2014, 12:05:03 AM »

I think the thought is, why would the official SJU twitter page retweet it and reply if they knew Obekpa was definitely gone?

« Reply #263 on: April 12, 2014, 12:12:45 AM »

I think the thought is, why would the official SJU twitter page retweet it and reply if they knew Obekpa was definitely gone?
Someone's trying to get Obekpas attention

goredmen

« Reply #264 on: April 12, 2014, 01:03:27 AM »

But I thought him leaving was addition by subtraction because he had a bad attitude and low basketball IQ. I guess if the staff convinces him to stay he will then be touted as the best big man in the BE

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #265 on: April 12, 2014, 01:11:25 AM »

But I thought him leaving was addition by subtraction because he had a bad attitude and low basketball IQ. I guess if the staff convinces him to stay he will then be touted as the best big man in the BE

He got a tutor, looked in the mirror and said: "I'm good enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me!"
He's all better now.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #266 on: April 12, 2014, 01:45:25 AM »

Prime example is Harrison. Last year was like night and day from two years ago.
Can CO get his crap together, and be the second coming of Harrison, and change  his attitude? Then I would welcome him back.
If not (I hate to say it because he`s such a difference maker on the defensive end.), then GTF outta here. 
No one player is bigger than the team.

LoganK

« Reply #267 on: April 12, 2014, 09:00:46 AM »

He got a tutor, looked in the mirror and said: "I'm good enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me!"
He's all better now.

Lol

Wods317

« Reply #268 on: April 12, 2014, 10:22:21 AM »
I think we can use Obepka just because our front line is so thin but I'm not a fan of his game at all. He goes all out for blocks and leaves himself in terrible defensive and rebounding position. Add to that his offensive woes I think he is overrated. That being said he would still at this point be our player upfront which speaks volumes about our forwards.

« Reply #269 on: April 12, 2014, 10:37:43 AM »
I like Obekpa's game.  I think he would improve both defensively and on the offensive end.  I just don't like his attitude.  I'm ambivalent about him staying or going.  If I knew for sure that he refused to reenter the game, I would want him gone.  Some things are unacceptable from a player.

desco80

« Reply #270 on: April 12, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »
This is moot.  He's not coming back.

« Reply #271 on: April 12, 2014, 11:42:16 AM »
This is moot.  He's not coming back.

i would go as far as saying he seemed like a locker room cancer at times, just by outside look of it. No way to know what the truth is, just reading coaches minutes declining and body language.

« Reply #272 on: April 12, 2014, 02:46:55 PM »
If he does come back I am sure some will consider him part of this years recruiting class, and another top class reeled in by Lavin.  ::)

« Reply #273 on: April 12, 2014, 02:51:38 PM »
If he does come back I am sure some will consider him part of this years recruiting class, and another top class reeled in by Lavin.  ::)

Really don't think anyone will say that. This will without a doubt be his lowest quality recruiting class.

« Reply #274 on: April 12, 2014, 06:44:32 PM »
time will tell how good this year's recruiting class is. Rankings are not predictive in many many cases. Perhaps most.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #275 on: April 12, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »
What is the biggest need,  a shooter or big body?
Cougar O' Malley

bk8664

« Reply #276 on: April 12, 2014, 07:18:58 PM »

A big body.  If our returning players can't shoot next year, we're done anyway.  So might as well go for it and get a big body.

Poison

« Reply #277 on: April 12, 2014, 07:34:51 PM »

We don't have a single big man w a minute of experience. Those that think Pointer can help in that regard are ignoring all but 2 or maybe 3 of last years games. That kid has talent, but he doesn't play to his strengths and he's got the maturity of a 5 year old.

Hopefully, some high level coaches will jump to the league soon, and it will start a domino effect. In terms of shooters, definitely, that's a huge need. But not at the expense of every other aspect of the game. Hooper was streaky, and he could hit threes, but if he gives the opposing team back the same points, and then some, he's hurting us more than helping.

Lavin needs to find a shooter that also able to man up and defend. They don't grow on trees, especially in mid April. Thing is, at St.John's no one is a shooter, and no one has been since Mullin. The little success we've had has come from tough d. Let's try to get back there. We don't need anymore dainty players. You can't win with them unless they are incredibly skilled, and guys like Sampson and Hooper weren't.

« Reply #278 on: April 12, 2014, 09:11:54 PM »
just saw on twitter that @yelbeez said this to CO "I knew you'd come around. #sjubb welcome back.  RT @obekpa12:  Sometimes you need to be alone, in order to find out.... what you really want." 

This isn't anything confirmed but it was in response to a tweet CO tweeted ~8:30 PM ET.  We'll see what happens...if he's back i'm happy to have him and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that his attitude doesn't get in the way of him building his skill set and character in prep for a more lucrative and productive basketball career.  Not the normal off season for SJUBB...
Follow me @ek_underdog

« Reply #279 on: April 12, 2014, 09:22:51 PM »
just saw on twitter that @yelbeez said this to CO "I knew you'd come around. #sjubb welcome back.  RT @obekpa12:  Sometimes you need to be alone, in order to find out.... what you really want." 

This isn't anything confirmed but it was in response to a tweet CO tweeted ~8:30 PM ET.  We'll see what happens...if he's back i'm happy to have him and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that his attitude doesn't get in the way of him building his skill set and character in prep for a more lucrative and productive basketball career.  Not the normal off season for SJUBB...

Maybe some of us were a little too quick to hit the panic button.