Rawle Alkins - SG - Word of God - ARIZONA

• 1011 replies
Re: Rawle Alkins
« Reply #740 on: February 13, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »
If Ron M was your 5th year player added to be on the bench serving a role to come in and be set up to shoot 3's maybe 10 15 minutes a game on a team that had more talent in their top 7 players would anyone be upset with a Ron type that came here for a year ?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:25:45 AM by mjmaherjr »

goredmen

« Reply #741 on: February 13, 2016, 12:22:18 PM »
Can someone give me some examples of 5th year transfers that came into the Big East and made a noticeable difference? Serious question

Not the Big East, but Lucas led Oklahoma St. to the Final Four the year after transferring from Baylor after the murder. Wichita St. has also done  well recently with them. Butler made it to the  Sweet 16 last year with Etherington and Lyons led Arizona to the sweet 16 a few years back.

Lee and Lewis from Louisville are two of their better players, someone mentioned Gibbs as well. I agree if you are going to bring in someone just to be a "leader" and eat minutes then we don't need that but if we can find an impact player then I am all for it. A guard who can shoot 3's and play defense or a rebounding big would help us for next year.

I would think that 5th year guys that are worth a damn, are looking to get to March. We are a ways away. 2 years

Yes, which is why I don't think we are going to be in the hunt for a top 5th year transfer this offseason. Eli Carter is really the only decent one to go to a team with no chance of playing in March but that's probably because they told him they'd let him shoot half of the team's shots which is what he is basically doing

« Reply #742 on: February 13, 2016, 01:33:14 PM »
At what position does it make sense to add someone?

At what position does it make sense to add someone ... to the team that's lost 15 games in a row? No one, we're set.

With 2 fifth year guys
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:34:00 PM by Marco Baldi »

Foad

« Reply #743 on: February 13, 2016, 01:52:45 PM »

At what position does it make sense to add someone ... to the team that's lost 15 games in a row? No one, we're set.

With 2 fifth year guys

Who are charitably not very good. Next year's roster will have Owens, who has not played in a year; Williams, who has not played in a year; Lovett, who has not played in a year; Ahmed, who has never played D1; two freshmen; 4 sophomores who've so far lost 15 games in a row; and two upperclassmen who have shown essentially nothing in 6 years combined. If you don't think that roster could use some experience, I don't know what to tell you.

« Reply #744 on: February 13, 2016, 02:08:31 PM »

With 2 fifth year guys

Who are charitably not very good. Next year's roster will have Owens, who has not played in a year; Williams, who has not played in a year; Lovett, who has not played in a year; Ahmed, who has never played D1; two freshmen; 4 sophomores who've so far lost 15 games in a row; and two upperclassmen who have shown essentially nothing in 6 years combined. If you don't think that roster could use some experience, I don't know what to tell you.

Experience is on the court. Not watching a Patriot league 5th year senior get your minutes.

Poison

« Reply #745 on: February 13, 2016, 02:13:56 PM »
Is SJU officially out of the Alkins recruitment

What would be official about that if he doesn't sign with another school?

Wods317

« Reply #746 on: February 13, 2016, 02:59:48 PM »

With 2 fifth year guys

Experience is on the court. Not watching a Patriot league 5th year senior get your minutes.

Hence why we want a impact player as a 5th year guy. If there are none out there for us then so be it but there are usually some and we should go after them. Granted the better teams with more to offer in terms of expectations will have a better shot but still worth a try to go after them.

« Reply #747 on: February 13, 2016, 03:07:47 PM »

With 2 fifth year guys

Hence why we want a impact player as a 5th year guy. If there are none out there for us then so be it but there are usually some and we should go after them. Granted the better teams with more to offer in terms of expectations will have a better shot but still worth a try to go after them.

Which is why I asked for examples of 5th year transfers into the Big East that made a good impact

Foad

« Reply #748 on: February 13, 2016, 03:37:35 PM »

With 2 fifth year guys

Which is why I asked for examples of 5th year transfers into the Big East that made a good impact

That's a pretty restrictive criteria. How long has the rule been effect, three years or something? Louisville is adding a 5th year transfer this year. Evidently Rick Pitino thinks it could have a good impact in the ACC, on a team that's a  perennial national championship contender in the best league in the country. Probably though a gritty 7-27 Saint John's team couldn't.

Wods317

« Reply #749 on: February 13, 2016, 05:08:14 PM »

With 2 fifth year guys

That's a pretty restrictive criteria. How long has the rule been effect, three years or something? Louisville is adding a 5th year transfer this year. Evidently Rick Pitino thinks it could have a good impact in the ACC, on a team that's a  perennial national championship contender in the best league in the country. Probably though a gritty 7-27 Saint John's team couldn't.

Yea I think the conference they transferred into is pretty irrelevant. Trying to prove your point by eliminating every possible example that people have named. im pretty sure if these guys can play for a top acc team they can play in the big east also.

« Reply #750 on: February 13, 2016, 05:08:58 PM »
Let's hope that rebound machine from St Francis College,the PG from American University or Lisa Ann can propel us to Louisville status
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 05:22:16 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #751 on: February 13, 2016, 08:28:30 PM »

With 2 fifth year guys

Yea I think the conference they transferred into is pretty irrelevant. Trying to prove your point by eliminating every possible example that people have named. im pretty sure if these guys can play for a top acc team they can play in the big east also.

Exactly what difference does it make if the example in the ACC, PAC 12 or Big 10 but not the BE, do we think the BE can't do what other conferences can?

Furthermore 5th year transfers that are considered successful generally are so because they play for already good teams.  Lewis and Lee for Louisville are good players, but their impact at Louisville would be more  pronounced then say if they transferred to SJU simply because SJU wasn't very close to being good. Matt Carlino of BYU who transferred to Marquette last year and averaged 15 pg and shot 40% from 3, pretty good right?  Who cares? Marquette still stunk.  Marquette was not 1 player away from being really good. If he transferred to say Arizona, who knows.  See my point.

Foad

« Reply #752 on: February 13, 2016, 09:13:07 PM »
Let's hope that rebound machine from St Francis College,the PG from American University or Lisa Ann can propel us to Louisville status

Utter nonsense. No one is saying that adding any 5th year senior would be a positive. Whereas you are saying that adding no 5th year senior could be a positive.

Watching you troll nowadays is like watching Willie Mays get hit in the head after circling under a fly ball in 1969 at Shea. It's a shame you didn't retire four years ago.

« Reply #753 on: February 13, 2016, 10:39:21 PM »

With 2 fifth year guys

Exactly what difference does it make if the example in the ACC, PAC 12 or Big 10 but not the BE, do we think the BE can't do what other conferences can?

Furthermore 5th year transfers that are considered successful generally are so because they play for already good teams.  Lewis and Lee for Louisville are good players, but their impact at Louisville would be more  pronounced then say if they transferred to SJU simply because SJU wasn't very close to being good. Matt Carlino of BYU who transferred to Marquette last year and averaged 15 pg and shot 40% from 3, pretty good right?  Who cares? Marquette still stunk.  Marquette was not 1 player away from being really good. If he transferred to say Arizona, who knows.  See my point.

This is exactly my point. We will not be a Tourny team next year in my opinion(2 years away). So why would we waste time on marginal 5th year guys?  Let the you guns take their lumps

« Reply #754 on: February 13, 2016, 10:40:09 PM »

Utter nonsense. No one is saying that adding any 5th year senior would be a positive. Whereas you are saying that adding no 5th year senior could be a positive.

Watching you troll nowadays is like watching Willie Mays get hit in the head after circling under a fly ball in 1969 at Shea. It's a shame you didn't retire four years ago.

Boring. You used that one already

« Reply #755 on: February 13, 2016, 11:16:33 PM »

With 2 fifth year guys

This is exactly my point. We will not be a Tourny team next year in my opinion(2 years away). So why would we waste time on marginal 5th year guys?  Let the you guns take their lumps

Then your points are really POINTLESS.  If you think SJU is at least 2 years away from the NCAA's then was is the issue with getting a 5th year bridge player who will be gone after next year anyway?

Foad

« Reply #756 on: February 14, 2016, 09:07:38 AM »

Boring. You used that one already

If you ever start trying again I'll come up with a new insult. Until then you only rate reruns.