Rawle Alkins - SG - Word of God - ARIZONA

• 1011 replies
Re: Rawle Alkins
« Reply #640 on: February 06, 2016, 01:27:09 PM »
In terms of pure talent, I actually like Whitehead better.  He's a little more athletic and his shot was a lot more advanced then Alkins shot is at the same stage.  The problem with Whitehead is he is somewhat immature, and I sort of mean that euphemistically.

You think whitehead is more athletic than Rawle?
Slightly, yes.  Whitehead is no lower then mid first round this year. His game was ahead of Rawle's at this stage.  If he didn't hurt himself with character issues last year, the proper risk adjusted advice, would have been for him to enter the draft, because players get drafted on potential.  But he has definitely helped himself tremendously this year.

boo3

« Reply #641 on: February 06, 2016, 05:12:32 PM »
Whitehead has been playing great lately.. Lot more unselfish. Putting it together...

« Reply #642 on: February 06, 2016, 05:28:35 PM »
In terms of pure talent, I actually like Whitehead better.  He's a little more athletic and his shot was a lot more advanced then Alkins shot is at the same stage.  The problem with Whitehead is he is somewhat immature, and I sort of mean that euphemistically.

Slightly, yes.  Whitehead is no lower then mid first round this year. His game was ahead of Rawle's at this stage.  If he didn't hurt himself with character issues last year, the proper risk adjusted advice, would have been for him to enter the draft, because players get drafted on potential.  But he has definitely helped himself tremendously this year.
Very doubtful he's a mid first rounder this year. Undrafted is much more likely than getting selected 16th.

cjfish

« Reply #643 on: February 06, 2016, 06:00:18 PM »
Mid 2nd

« Reply #644 on: February 06, 2016, 06:13:25 PM »
Are the Rawle posts now in the Whitehead thread ?

« Reply #645 on: February 06, 2016, 09:44:14 PM »

Very doubtful he's a mid first rounder this year. Undrafted is much more likely than getting selected 16th.
You haven't been watching him lately.  This MCD AA is a mid first rounder, if for no other reason it is a weak draft.

paultzman

« Reply #646 on: February 07, 2016, 02:04:01 PM »
Zach B tweet response today on Alkins eligibility question;

"yeah strong buzz is he may not be eligible"
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:11:57 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #647 on: February 07, 2016, 02:22:58 PM »
Zach B tweet response today on Alkins eligibility question;

"yeah strong buzz is he may not be eligible"

Of course. Now I'm confident we land him.

wpc77

« Reply #648 on: February 07, 2016, 02:24:50 PM »
It's been the buzz for months.  Best not to focus too much on this one, unfortunately

« Reply #649 on: February 07, 2016, 02:25:10 PM »

You haven't been watching him lately.  This MCD AA is a mid first rounder, if for no other reason it is a weak draft.
I watch him 1-2 nights a week. He's definitely improved and is playing at an All Big East level. Still would be very surprised if he's a mid first this year.

« Reply #650 on: February 07, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »
Eligible questions or not, you keep going hard at Rawle. One, getting a recruit of his stature, at this point, generates great buzz for the program, especially with the NYC connection. Second, you can always hope that at worst this turns into a Lovett situation where we get him on campus and with the program for a year.

Because we've landed Ahmed, RF and Ponds - and with Lovett and Owens coming back - you can take a chance on Rawle. This isn't the Lavin "all eggs in one basket" scenario we saw play out the last few years of his tenure.

« Reply #651 on: February 07, 2016, 02:36:48 PM »
If he decides to go to St. Johns the NCAA will make sure he is not eligible if he choses Arizona or UNC the NCAA will say he is qualified

Just look the infractions the Cuse got if it was St  Johns the penalty would have been doubled

wpc77

« Reply #652 on: February 07, 2016, 02:55:29 PM »
Eligible questions or not, you keep going hard at Rawle. One, getting a recruit of his stature, at this point, generates great buzz for the program, especially with the NYC connection. Second, you can always hope that at worst this turns into a Lovett situation where we get him on campus and with the program for a year.

Because we've landed Ahmed, RF and Ponds - and with Lovett and Owens coming back - you can take a chance on Rawle. This isn't the Lavin "all eggs in one basket" scenario we saw play out the last few years of his tenure.

Sure, the staff should keep pursuing him for the first reason that you gave.  I am just suggesting that we as fans should put little to no weight into him ever playing a game for us
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 03:00:31 PM by wpc77 »

« Reply #653 on: February 07, 2016, 04:05:36 PM »

Sure, the staff should keep pursuing him for the first reason that you gave.  I am just suggesting that we as fans should put little to no weight into him ever playing a game for us

Agree, wpc.  I'll repeat here what I said on the other board....  Alkins could commit to us, as a partial qualifier, and then turn pro (without ever playing a game).

« Reply #654 on: February 07, 2016, 04:13:28 PM »
I feel like if he didn't play one game that would reaaaallly hurt his draft stock. Think he's gotta play one season, no?

cjfish

« Reply #655 on: February 07, 2016, 04:19:48 PM »
If he comes he will play at least one season, even if he is only a partial qualifier.  He is a guard and guards are never drafted on potential out of HS.  He needs to show he can do it on the D-1 level.  Thon Maker situation is different.

« Reply #656 on: February 07, 2016, 05:02:11 PM »

Agree, wpc.  I'll repeat here what I said on the other board....  Alkins could commit to us, as a partial qualifier, and then turn pro (without ever playing a game).
Didn't that happen a couple years back with PC
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 05:04:01 PM by 96 Schermerhorn Street »

paultzman

« Reply #657 on: February 07, 2016, 05:04:25 PM »

Didn't that happen a couple year back with PC

Ricky Ledo Syndrome :)

« Reply #658 on: February 08, 2016, 12:03:01 AM »
If he comes he will play at least one season, even if he is only a partial qualifier.  He is a guard and guards are never drafted on potential out of HS.  He needs to show he can do it on the D-1 level.  Thon Maker situation is different.
Truth. Guards need at least one year in D1 to be drafted on potential.  They need that one year to show they have that potential.  Look up Lenny Cooke for example.

Marillac

« Reply #659 on: February 08, 2016, 12:08:21 AM »
Truth. Guards need at least one year in D1 to be drafted on potential.  They need that one year to show they have that potential.  Look up Lenny Cooke for example.

Additionally, Alkins needs to prove that his advanced age and body are not the primary reasons for much of his success. He could very easily find himself playing four years on college otherwise.