Sweet 16 or bust?

• 50 replies
Re: Sweet 16 or bust?
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »
Making the dance is and should be the standard. Success should be winning the big east and winning some games in the tournament. We have good players and a tough but fair schedule. I think Lavin learns from his mistakes and gives us a successful season.

Agreed, at this point under Lavin making the NCAA’s on a consistent basis (ala Nova and Georgetown) has to be the goal, but it is very dangerous to judge a season on the NCAA Tourney alone in terms of how far you go.

As we know in a one and done scenario anything can happen.  Nova won 30 games, went 16-2 in the league and was a 2 seed.  Lost in the second round.  Tell me most of us would not take that every year as disappointing as that loss to UCONN was.  And again UCONN won the whole thing as a 7 seed last year, but they were about 20 seconds and a late 3 point play away from being booted in the FIRST ROUND last year again St. Joe’s.  Remember they were on their way out before they got an unlikely rebound and put back with foul and then won in OT.

Think about it if we are going to judge a coach simply by the NCAA Tourney then Coach K or even JTIII are two of the WORST coaches in college.  Because if you just judge them on their NCAA performance relative to their seedings they lose as much if not more to teams ranked lower than anyone else.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:16:55 PM by fordham96 »

Foad

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 02:17:29 PM »
Think about it if we are going to judge a coach simply by the NCAA Tourney then Coach K or even JTIII are two of the WORST coaches in college.  Because if you just judge them on their NCAA performance relative to their seedings they lose as much if not more to teams ranked lower than them than anyone else.

Too clever by half. If Shrewshetrencki wasn't such a good coach his teams wouldn't be seeded so high on such a consistent basis, by virtue of which consistent high seeds he has fewer opportunities to lose games to higher seeds, as opposed to worse coaches whose teams get low seeds, which allows them to beat high seeds. In other words [sic] Screwshinski loses to lower seeds because those are in the main the only seeds he faces.

On the other hand JT3 loses to lower seeds because he sucks.

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 07:22:56 PM »
Veteran team. I have higher expectations
Getting in is enough. The rest of tourney can be luck of the draw, etc. I expect a very good conference record and some wins that are deemed tough at the time they are played.  Time for the pre-season record predictions.

That's true about the tourney.  But a target of being seeded 8 or better is realistic.  At that seeding you should be favored to win a game and then let's see about Sweet Sixteen.
Agreed. Let's hope some of the weaker games on the schedule don't kill the SoS so much to prevent an 8 seed or better from happening, even in a good season.

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 07:27:34 PM »
Think about it if we are going to judge a coach simply by the NCAA Tourney then Coach K or even JTIII are two of the WORST coaches in college.  Because if you just judge them on their NCAA performance relative to their seedings they lose as much if not more to teams ranked lower than them than anyone else.

Too clever by half. If Shrewshetrencki wasn't such a good coach his teams wouldn't be seeded so high on such a consistent basis, by virtue of which consistent high seeds he has fewer opportunities to lose games to higher seeds, as opposed to worse coaches whose teams get low seeds, which allows them to beat high seeds. In other words [sic] Screwshinski loses to lower seeds because those are in the main the only seeds he faces.

On the other hand JT3 loses to lower seeds because he sucks.
The JTIII punch line - right from LF - love it.  I hope we beat them 3 times this year.

QuanMan

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 07:40:14 PM »
I really want to be playing on Friday and Saturday night in the Garden BE wknd. It hasn't happened in over a decade and I want the city on our back as the squad grabs it's first BE title since 2000. Too many years have passed where wearing your St. John's shirt around the Garden is irrelevant come Friday of BE week.

I want to knock out Cuse on their home floor, I want to demolish Duke again.

Top 25 throughout the year and a BE juggernaut throughout the conference schedule.

I want to see Dee win BE MVP as he climbs up the all time points record list.

Sheed 1st team BE, Dom BE DPOY.

Adonis best kept secret!
Section 3
Section 116

TONYD3

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 08:52:53 PM »
I really want to be playing on Friday and Saturday night in the Garden BE wknd. It hasn't happened in over a decade and I want the city on our back as the squad grabs it's first BE title since 2000. Too many years have passed where wearing your St. John's shirt around the Garden is irrelevant come Friday of BE week.

Top 25 throughout the year and a BE juggernaut throughout the conference schedule.

Adonis best kept secret!
YES

desco80

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 10:59:20 PM »
most critical season in long time...we must make tourney and land top recruiting class...or we are starting over

If we land a top 5 class, we'll still be starting over.

Might as well just give up then.

You could argue that we're doing just that every game we play with Lavin on the sidelines.

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 03:44:51 AM »

Adonis best kept secret!
You mean Adonis should BE kept a secret. At least for this year.

redslope

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 11:32:10 AM »
Need Thomas to continue to be the Windex Man he was in JC--10R's/game could go far in letting this team run covering up the lack of good o/s shooting

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 12:08:25 PM »
Need Thomas to continue to be the Windex Man he was in JC--10R's/game could go far in letting this team run covering up the lack of good o/s shooting

I almost dare not say it, but is this the year our outside shooting is above-average?  If harrison and greene are around 39-40% and jordan is over 35%, shooting some threes isn't such a bad idea.  I think jordan is the biggest question mark, but his shot started to look good late last season.

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2014, 12:34:59 PM »

I almost dare not say it, but is this the year our outside shooting is above-average?  If harrison and greene are around 39-40% and jordan is over 35%, shooting some threes isn't such a bad idea.  I think jordan is the biggest question mark, but his shot started to look good late last season.

The only way we would be above average is if Harrison and Greene maintained their %'s or even went up, Greene took more set shots, and both Branch and Jordan shoot above 33% with 2+ attempts per game.  On top of all of that, Pointer either has to stop shooting all together or hit 30% or more of his wide open threes and not take a single three if he is not wide open. 

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2014, 07:02:05 PM »
most critical season in long time...we must make tourney and land top recruiting class...or we are starting over

If we land a top 5 class, we'll still be starting over.
there are degrees of starting over...you get the poiint

paultzman

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 08:33:48 AM »
@NYPost_Brazille: St John's ranked 39th in first Ken Pomeroy rankings. #sjubb

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 09:40:20 AM »
I would really like to see us make the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tournament.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 09:49:36 AM »

I would be content with that, but the goal should be to win the championship. A goal of the NCAAs is weak IMO. If we want to compete with UK and Uconn, two powerhouses, we need to set our sights higher than that. I'm not saying I expect us to win it all, but you compete to win. Not to improve slightly.

Norm Roberts had a goal of the NCAAs.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:51:16 AM by Poison »

jayro

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2014, 10:11:37 AM »
I'm seeing a sweet sixteen or better. Why not - we have the experience and, I believe this year, the drive to make it happen. Yes I'm a homer and a glass 3/4 full person.  Better to be happy until/if we fail than miserable all the way through.  Just MHO. :)

cjfish

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 11:59:41 AM »

The only way we would be above average is if Harrison and Greene maintained their %'s or even went up, Greene took more set shots, and both Branch and Jordan shoot above 33% with 2+ attempts per game.  On top of all of that, Pointer either has to stop shooting all together or hit 30% or more of his wide open threes and not take a single three if he is not wide open.

I would be happy if DOM never took a 3.  If he could be reliable from 10-15 I would be happy.

cjfish

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 12:02:59 PM »

team BE, Dom BE DPOY.

Adonis best kept secret!
You mean Adonis should BE kept a secret. At least for this year.

Wow, you are more of an optimist than I am.  I like Jordan over Dee for any MVPs.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:05:53 PM by cjfish »

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 04:16:55 PM »

I would be content with that, but the goal should be to win the championship. A goal of the NCAAs is weak IMO. If we want to compete with UK and Uconn, two powerhouses, we need to set our sights higher than that. I'm not saying I expect us to win it all, but you compete to win. Not to improve slightly.

Yeah Poison, good luck with that goal of winning it all.
Maybe that because realistic after this year. If we get IB, Diallo, and Sampson, then the goals becopme so much higher.

This year we have to make the dance, and win atleast 1 game, we did the one and done thing in Lavins first year. Have to atleast get one this year, Anything more would be betters

Foad

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 05:25:47 PM »

Yeah Poison, good luck with that goal of winning it all.
Maybe that because realistic after this year. If we get IB, Diallo, and Sampson, then the goals becopme so much higher.

No. The odds of making a run with seniors is much higher than making a run with freshman. This isn't Kentucky.