Questions?????

• 64 replies

hnk

Re: Questions?????
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2015, 02:33:15 PM »
Has the Dominator's defensive performance this year been the best in history of St. John's basketball?

As far as I know, yes

Foad

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2015, 02:58:20 PM »
Has the Dominator's defensive performance this year been the best in history of St. John's basketball?

As far as I know, yes

Hatten, Artest and Sharif Fordham are the most disruptive defensive players I can think of off the top of my head. Fordham especially was a great on ball defender. Pointer is probably overrated on the ball. He's great off the ball.

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2015, 03:00:44 PM »
Barkley was great too
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2015, 03:05:08 PM »
Pointer is chaos on defense. He's the the guy you pick first just so you don't have to play against him. Nothing worse than playing against a guy who wreaks havoc

hnk

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2015, 03:22:37 PM »
Amazing. I completely agree.

hnk

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
None of the guys Foad mentioned really blocked a tom of shots.

Foad

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2015, 03:50:17 PM »
None of the guys Foad mentioned really blocked a tom of shots.

There's more to defense than blocking shots. Hatten averaged 100 steals a year. Was Bob Werdann a better defender than Pointer because he blocked more shots?

hnk

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2015, 03:54:52 PM »
Foad, I won't compete with you but the Dominator as a few steals as well.

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2015, 03:59:14 PM »

As far as I know, yes

Hatten, Artest and Sharif Fordham are the most disruptive defensive players I can think of off the top of my head. Fordham especially was a great on ball defender. Pointer is probably overrated on the ball. He's great off the ball.

+fun

I dont really remember Fordham but Hatten was the best ive seen.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2015, 04:05:47 PM »
Foad, I won't compete with you but the Dominator as a few steals as well.

You know, every time I say something it's not an invitation to a steal cage death match. Sometimes I'm just chatting. Sometimes I'm even amiable.

Pointer has been a wrecking ball this year on defense. No argument. Is he a great defensive player? I don't know. He's certainly good. He's not a great on ball defender. He purposefully lets his man by so he can block shots at the rim. He helps too much. He doesn't defend the three point line particularly well. On the other hand he blocks shots. He disrupts the passing lanes. He hustles back. He defends bigger stronger players. He has been a revelation since the light bulb went on. It's just too bad the light bulb went on in January.

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2015, 04:06:02 PM »
I think Pointer should have got it but a case could definitely be made for Dunn. Look at the 7 first team big east members. They are all perimeter players with perhaps a slight exception of Henton. This was a guards league and Dunn was responsible for guarding the other teams best guard, something he did great at.

Still there was more than a few times this year where Dom Pointer was on a whole different level than everybody else.

boo3

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2015, 04:39:05 PM »

As far as I know, yes

Forgot about Sharif, he was a damn good defender.   Agree about Dom..  A great help defender.  If I had to lock one player up, say Kris Dunn for example, not sure Dom would be the guy..  I might actually lean Rysheed actually..  Problem with Rysheed, like Dom, is that if his head isn't in it, it can be real bad.

Never had to worry about those other three though.  Lock you down....  Barkley also, yes.

SJUFAN

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2015, 04:48:42 PM »
I think Pointer should have got it but a case could definitely be made for Dunn. Look at the 7 first team big east members. They are all perimeter players with perhaps a slight exception of Henton. This was a guards league and Dunn was responsible for guarding the other teams best guard, something he did great at.

Still there was more than a few times this year where Dom Pointer was on a whole different level than everybody else.

Dom tends to make the spectacular play from behind, so it tends to stand out more. But as Foad stated, his on the ball defense isn't great.   

hnk

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2015, 05:46:07 PM »
April 26 is NBA opt in day for college players.

Marillac

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2015, 06:15:40 PM »
Pointer is chaos on defense. He's the the guy you pick first just so you don't have to play against him. Nothing worse than playing against a guy who wreaks havoc

Rumor is that he patterned his defense off your posting style.

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2015, 08:44:17 PM »

Rumor is that he patterned his defense off your posting style.

Hahah look what I said about Baldi 2+ years ago..

"Guys, ask baldi a straight up question and he'll give you a straight up answer. Play around and go back and forth with him and this is what you'll get. Just like Dom Pointer, baldi is at his best when the game gets into an up and down chaotic mess."
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:48:26 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »

Marillac

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2015, 09:00:58 PM »

As far as I know, yes

Agree on all points.  I never understood Lavin's obsession with playing Dom on the ball against 6'0 guards when he was clearly best at playing forwards and helping. 

The guy can literally defend five positions...some better than others.  I don't ever remember a better help defender.

Sharif Fordham was a very underrated player...strong defender...better on the ball than Pointer without a doubt. 

Hatten could pick anyone's pocket, but didn't bring the effort as consistently as Dom.  When he wanted it, though, lookout.

Moose

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2015, 10:16:16 PM »
I want a Sharif Fordham on my team every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Remember who broke the Slice news

TONYD3

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2015, 10:32:36 PM »
Moose - what do you think if these recruits? You were worried about next year. Besides Sampson are these guys any good ?

Moose

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2015, 10:41:39 PM »
Moose - what do you think if these recruits? You were worried about next year. Besides Sampson are these guys any good ?

I was told not to worry about next year by posters on here.
And I'm following that advice.
Remember who broke the Slice news