Minnesota Predictions

• 50 replies

Foad

Re: Minnesota Predictions
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2014, 09:42:24 AM »
Minnesota 92 St. Johns 64....Shucks that was the score two times ago we played them

Good catch. The Times won't even have to do much editing, just swap some names out:

"I'm definitely caught off guard," the St. John's senior center said. "A week ago I would have never thought we would get blown out in the Garden two times in a row."

[...]

It is quite possible New Yorkers will adopt the Gophers. Minnesota (14-6) has played in the Garden five times in the last 10 months, dating back to the post-season National Invitational Tournament championship game.

[...]

It was a mark of how tough Minnesota is, and how far St. John's has to go.

[...]

It looked like practice for St. John's and a clinic for Minnesota.

[...]

"Needless to say we are extremely disappointed," St. John's Coach Brian Mahoney said. "What are the answers? I'm not sure. I guess we'll go back and try to juggle this thing around till we find some answers.

"There were a couple of loose balls we were slow to react to. We were standing around. We did a poor job attacking the zone.

Published: January 31, 1994

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »
Minnesota 92 St. Johns 64....Shucks that was the score two times ago we played them

Good catch. The Times won't even have to do much editing, just swap some names out:

"I'm definitely caught off guard," the St. John's senior center said. "A week ago I would have never thought we would get blown out in the Garden two times in a row."

[...]

It is quite possible New Yorkers will adopt the Gophers. Minnesota (14-6) has played in the Garden five times in the last 10 months, dating back to the post-season National Invitational Tournament championship game.

[...]

It was a mark of how tough Minnesota is, and how far St. John's has to go.

[...]

It looked like practice for St. John's and a clinic for Minnesota.

[...]

"Needless to say we are extremely disappointed," St. John's Coach Brian Mahoney said. "What are the answers? I'm not sure. I guess we'll go back and try to juggle this thing around till we find some answers.

"There were a couple of loose balls we were slow to react to. We were standing around. We did a poor job attacking the zone.

Published: January 31, 1994

Right when the Redmen curse started!

Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2014, 11:13:35 AM »
Taxi Driver - 78

Fargo - 75 

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2014, 02:31:12 PM »
Taxi Driver - 78

Fargo - 75 

Fargo?  Isn't that North Dakota?

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2014, 02:38:54 PM »
Taxi Driver - 78

Fargo - 75 

Yes, but movie set in Minneapolis
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:41:20 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
80-64 Johnnies.  If I don't have unbridled optimism about the team at 3-0 I never will.

D'Lo goes for 28, 10, and 5.  Obekpa for 15, 12, and 8.  Jordan for 20, 6, and 6.

Marillac co-signs nearly every detail of this prediction, but ups Harrison to 34 points and 12 rebounds.
80-64!

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:53:21 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2014, 03:33:14 PM »
Taxi Driver - 78

Fargo - 75 

Buscemi driving out of the parking garage bleeding like a mad man is one of the all time hilarious moments.

paultzman

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2014, 04:13:34 PM »
Funny, this is prediction of Minny beat writer;

@AmeliaRayno: My prediction: St. John's 68, Minnesota 52.

Tha Kid

« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2014, 04:44:35 PM »
80-64 Johnnies.  If I don't have unbridled optimism about the team at 3-0 I never will.

D'Lo goes for 28, 10, and 5.  Obekpa for 15, 12, and 8.  Jordan for 20, 6, and 6.

Marillac co-signs nearly every detail of this prediction, but ups Harrison to 34 points and 12 rebounds.
80-64!

Glad to have you on board.  And I hope you are right on DLo.  Think he can have a Huuuuge year w lots of national recognition if we play like a tourney team.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2014, 04:56:43 PM »
Taxi Driver - 78

Fargo - 75 

Buscemi driving out of the parking garage bleeding like a mad man is one of the all time hilarious moments.

yes! someone got my reference.

dR3w

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2014, 03:08:36 PM »
I'm not drinking the cool aid. This team is mediocre, to good, and this is being kind. Lavin is awful at coaching, great at excuses. At least he can't use the "we are the youngest team in the country" excuse anymore. Minn 90 -StJ 68. Maybe a little closer if Minn lets up in garbage time.
So just so were clear. Do you or do you not like Lavin? Couldn't really tell from your post
I guess I have to eat some crow.  I admit, that I totally underestimated our talent, and completely overestimated the strength of Minn.
 I've been on these boards since redmen.com was an AOL site.  Probably 20 years.  I don't post much, and as you can see, I don't know much about college basketball.  I have been hearing the preseason hype for so long, just to see terrible results.  
As far as the team goes, I was impressed with their athleticism.  I liked Harrison attacking the middle of the floor, not his horrible shot choices from the 3pt line.  I thought they hustled, and made things happen.  Dom has made a lot of great plays defensively, but still can't shoot.   If they could have hit free throws it would have been a borderline blowout.  I guess my vision was clouded by the effort they put forth in last years' NIT game as a number 1 seed, and the fact that some of those returning wanted out in the offseason.
I still think this is a flawed team … and with that said, Lavin can't coach around those deficiencies.  I don't think they will make the tourney, but I am hoping they do.  One injury to Harrison, Obekpa, or Jordan, and this team will be in serious trouble.
And I still don't believe in Lavin. So correct, I don't like his coaching … not the man.  He talks around the details.  I liked him a lot better when Dunlap was his #1 assistant.  Lavin's best attribute was his recruiting, and he appears to be failing terribly in that department, so what do we have?