Big East Year 2

• 28 replies

Tiznow

Re: Big East Year 2
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 09:09:42 PM »
The Big East hit its stride long before it became a 16 team conference. 

Nova, Gtown and St Johns turned NCAA hoops upside down in 84. 

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 09:46:45 PM »

As you will recall Boston College Got to the elite 8 damn near an all Big East final four!

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 10:06:45 PM »
"It seems silly to say an organization in Year 2 is at a critical crossroads, "

ESPN calling for our demise already...big surprise
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:07:22 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Tiznow

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 10:29:10 PM »

As you will recall Boston College Got to the elite 8 damn near an all Big East final four!

I recall the BC game was down to the wire with their small guard - Michael Adams I think - coming close to pulling off an all four BE final four.

I enjoy the underdog status of the revamped league.  The league had little respect when it was formed.

If the league recruits well and has good coaches it will have success in the NCAA.  I like the smaller number of teams playing at least twice a year.  This should lead to better rivalries.

The schools have knowledgeable fans in big markets.  They will come out if the league produces good games and story lines.

Moose

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 10:30:08 PM »
Dana O'Neill is a Philly based writer who I've always found very pro BE.

Last year wasn't a good year for the BE.  Even the # of teams who made it barely made it and didnt perform well. 

It needs to be stronger this year.  Because the longer it takes to get its feet wet the threat is it will fall into the background.
Remember who broke the Slice news

QuanMan

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 10:37:22 PM »
ESPN is now a direct competitor of the Big East. Last year's onslaught of negative journalism towards the conference from their team of writers and personalities was downright embarrassing throughout the winter. Unfortunately everyone needs to take everything coming from them with a grain of salt for the foreseeable future, their lack of coverage on the BE really has me hoping that Fox Sports can develop a reliable CBK show that can compete w Gameday in the coming years. Nevertheless, don't expect any positive PR coming from the likes of Bilas, Katz and all the way down to the Dana O'Neill's bc they're clearly instructed to put us down.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 10:37:36 PM »

I recall the BC game was down to the wire with their small guard - Michael Adams I think - coming close to pulling off an all four BE final four.

I enjoy the underdog status of the revamped league.  The league had little respect when it was formed.

If the league recruits well and has good coaches it will have success in the NCAA.  I like the smaller number of teams playing at least twice a year.  This should lead to better rivalries.

The schools have knowledgeable fans in big markets.  They will come out if the league produces good games and story lines.
I think BC made the Sweet Sixteen, and just missed the Elite Eight.  But if they made the FF, it would have been a show with Lou's sweater and Gary's sweaty sport coat -  :buck2:

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 10:47:14 PM »
It was 1985 not 1984 and if I remember correctly BC's last shot rolled around the rim
and fell out in a two point loss in the elite 8.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:48:20 PM by Moon Mullen »

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 11:43:51 PM »
ESPN is now a direct competitor of the Big East. Last year's onslaught of negative journalism towards the conference from their team of writers and personalities was downright embarrassing throughout the winter. Unfortunately everyone needs to take everything coming from them with a grain of salt for the foreseeable future, their lack of coverage on the BE really has me hoping that Fox Sports can develop a reliable CBK show that can compete w Gameday in the coming years. Nevertheless, don't expect any positive PR coming from the likes of Bilas, Katz and all the way down to the Dana O'Neill's bc they're clearly instructed to put us down.

Not true. TV and written coverage are completely separate. Their lack of positive reporting was due to lack of positive play. If Dana O'Neill is guilty of anything it is being pro Nova.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

QuanMan

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 12:12:30 AM »
I disagree Dave. The manipulative propaganda is real and it's a concerted effort throughout every segment of their staff. I'm not even trying to be a conspiracy theorist either, it's blatant and strictly business. I don't even blame them. The Big East won't sniff the ESPN family of networks for the next decade with the exception of the rare ESPNU game that involves a conference that is a partner of theirs that'll drive ratings.
Section 3
Section 116

Tha Kid

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »
I disagree Dave. The manipulative propaganda is real and it's a concerted effort throughout every segment of their staff. I'm not even trying to be a conspiracy theorist either, it's blatant and strictly business. I don't even blame them. The Big East won't sniff the ESPN family of networks for the next decade with the exception of the rare ESPNU game that involves a conference that is a partner of theirs that'll drive ratings.

Agree completely with Quan.  Dana may be a very minor exception but the overall coverage and interest is definitely skewed.

Prime example, not from BE.  The Florida State-ND controversial game.  ACC is an ESPN conference.  ND has games with NBC.  Add in that FSU is Nike and ND is UA for further partnership issues.

Every outlet's description of the game explained that ND threw a touchdown pass that put them ahead seemingly for a win that was negated due to pass interference.  At the very least, regardless of your biases, you have to mention all of the facts in that sentence.

ESPN's initial coverage in their article was this, before it became a national controversy and they had to address it with additional articles:  "Notre Dame's final drive was derailed due to offensive interference."  No comment on that they were at the 3, that Corey Robinson caught the pass for a TD that was obviously waived, nothing.

Days later, of course, ESPN edited their official game recap.

They are blatantly biased against non-ESPN schools and conferences, IMO....
"I drink and I know things"

cjfish

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 11:53:15 AM »

You are correct, Adams was great and late Sunday afternoon there were 3 in and BC in a barnburner.  I believe the NIT also had BE teams late that year, must look up.  Strongest conference year in NCAA history, no one even close

Tiznow

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 07:47:09 PM »

Not true. TV and written coverage are completely separate. Their lack of positive reporting was due to lack of positive play. If Dana O'Neill is guilty of anything it is being pro Nova.

She is guilty of leaving out the greatest accomplishment of the BE.  Was it an oversight, or did it not fit into the theme of the article?

The NCAA was a bomb for the BE last season, but the conference tournament featured the best player in the country in a packed MSG.  It was as good a crowd as any during the mega BE days.  The regular season out of conference play earned the BE a top five conference ranking.

There was plenty of positive play from November through mid March.  Let's not be guilty of not paying attention till March.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:48:38 PM by Tiznow »

desco80

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 08:02:42 PM »
  It was as good a crowd as any during the mega BE days.

I agree with you about her not giving the league enough credit for a good conference tournament, and certainly for the quality of ball that was being played from November to March.
But I love the BE tournament, and while I was impressed with the Creighton fans, the atmosphere was nothing like years past.   It was good, but there were some years when the BE tournament was better than the NCAAs.    I have no recollection of the 83-86 era, but I remember every tournament from about 94 on, and there's really no contest.   The local teams, like UCONN, Syracuse, Pitt, WVU .. brought huge contingents of fans.   And when we were competitive, think the 99 finals against UCONN, that was as good as it got for us SJU fans, but the other locals all played well into the 2000s.  And the later additions of Louisville, Cinci, and ND complemented the league nicely, and made solid showings come tournament time.   
Last year was exciting and fun, but it's more like what I imagine the Pac12 or Big12 tournaments are like every year, it wasn't the special event that the BE tournament had become.   
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:56:25 PM by desco80 »

Moose

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 08:05:02 PM »

She is guilty of leaving out the greatest accomplishment of the BE.  Was it an oversight, or did it not fit into the theme of the article?

The NCAA was a bomb for the BE last season, but the conference tournament featured the best player in the country in a packed MSG.  It was as good a crowd as any during the mega BE days.  The regular season out of conference play earned the BE a top five conference ranking.

There was plenty of positive play from November through mid March.  Let's not be guilty of not paying attention till March.

Voters disagreed.  Computer numbers can't tell the whole story.  What was the most Top 25 teams we had ranked?

Moose

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 08:09:30 PM »

Agree completely with Quan.  Dana may be a very minor exception but the overall coverage and interest is definitely skewed.

Prime example, not from BE.  The Florida State-ND controversial game.  ACC is an ESPN conference.  ND has games with NBC.  Add in that FSU is Nike and ND is UA for further partnership issues.

Every outlet's description of the game explained that ND threw a touchdown pass that put them ahead seemingly for a win that was negated due to pass interference.  At the very least, regardless of your biases, you have to mention all of the facts in that sentence.

ESPN's initial coverage in their article was this, before it became a national controversy and they had to address it with additional articles:  "Notre Dame's final drive was derailed due to offensive interference."  No comment on that they were at the 3, that Corey Robinson caught the pass for a TD that was obviously waived, nothing.

Days later, of course, ESPN edited their official game recap.

They are blatantly biased against non-ESPN schools and conferences, IMO....

Funny you mention the ACC love.  Rumblings of late have been that they have an SEC bias. 

Bottom line is people haven't' stopped tuning in.  Everyone continues to kneel at the altar of the ESPN.  Until people stop worshipping ESPN and tune into other channels and give other channels a chance, ESPN will keep chugging along.  ACC or SEC football bias.  Non BE basketball bias.  19 hour pre game NFL shows and NFL on every damn day of the week with lines of former NFL players who can't construct a full sentence spewing their expert opinion.

*By the way doesn't the Pac 12 have a deal with FS1 in some capacity?  They get similar treatment in your eyes?

Poison

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 08:29:09 PM »
The BE is not a major conference anymore. They are on par with the A10.

redslope

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 08:56:59 PM »
The Big East is effectively a new conference having just one year of history.  Go back to the origination of the conference and it was nothing but an idea for some regional schools that played basketball to come together--it was a new concept.  That concept was developed and in 1981 Mullin, Ewing and Pinkney came into the conference and conference took off.  The "new" conference needs another recruiting year like that--if we are successful with Briscoe it helps the conference.  (As much as we wanted Whitehead, I am glad he is in the conference and it should step up the rivalry between us and the Hall.)  We and the rest of the schools need to recruit with the thing we offer--Basketball is THE sport on campus not something to fill in time between football playoffs and spring practice.  The basketball players on our campuses are the BMOC's--not second to FB players.  We also need time to make the rivalries grow not something that happens in year one.

SJUFAN

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 08:58:07 PM »
The BE is not a major conference anymore. They are on par with the A10.

Maybe talent wise in year one, but not revenue wise, not even close.