Zach Brown - C - Miami, FL

• 369 replies
Re: Zach Brown - C - Miami, FL - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #180 on: January 02, 2017, 05:51:03 PM »
Sounds like time to move on to me
Yeah so he can end up at Iona.  ;) :)

« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2017, 07:18:38 PM »
If it doesn't pan out it doesn't pan out. Hope he gets his life together first honestly.

MCNPA

« Reply #182 on: January 02, 2017, 11:48:27 PM »
Maybe why we are recruiting hard for 17' lately?  I hope not because I'd like to see a big guy like him here, but who knows.  I'm sure the staff does.  Hopefully nothing?!?

« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2017, 12:05:11 AM »
I don't have much of a pulse on situation here but if he works out it's gravy. If he doesn't in good with plenty in '18. The '17 class is very weak imo. Then again '16 class was so loaded so hard for '17 to live up to that.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #184 on: January 03, 2017, 12:47:32 AM »
I don't have much of a pulse on situation here but if he works out it's gravy. If he doesn't in good with plenty in '18. The '17 class is very weak imo. Then again '16 class was so loaded so hard for '17 to live up to that.

I don't understand how a team without a center can look at Brown like his addition is gravy. Team needs to find a Tyrone Grant type bad. That kid from USF is gravy. A big man is a clear necessity.

wpc77

« Reply #185 on: January 03, 2017, 09:25:20 AM »

I don't understand how a team without a center can look at Brown like his addition is gravy. Team needs to find a Tyrone Grant type bad. That kid from USF is gravy. A big man is a clear necessity.

Agreed.  Especially with Yakwe looking lost so far this year.

« Reply #186 on: January 03, 2017, 09:44:37 AM »

How many true centers can you name in college basketball? Game is changing. I'm cool with rolling with Owens, Yakwe, Williams, Amar, Clark in the front court.

wpc77

« Reply #187 on: January 03, 2017, 10:53:39 AM »

How many true centers can you name in college basketball? Game is changing. I'm cool with rolling with Owens, Yakwe, Williams, Amar, Clark in the front court.

Agree re centers.  However, playing devil's advocate here, these are the issues with the guys which you listed:

Owens: rail thin and can get pushed around by stronger bodies

Yakwe: struggling and perhaps even regressing

Williams: injury history

Amar: limited skill set

Clark: knock on him at MSU was his defense in the post

Again, those are just the negatives, but we need another big (and not just serviceable) body. Ideally need a 5th year guy like Livingston (who, by the way, is 13 ppg, 5 rebounds per, 2 assists per for Texas Tech so far), but without the cop assault/mental hospital visit in his background.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:55:23 AM by wpc77 »

« Reply #188 on: January 03, 2017, 11:51:52 AM »

Agree re centers.  However, playing devil's advocate here, these are the issues with the guys which you listed:

Again, those are just the negatives, but we need another big (and not just serviceable) body. Ideally need a 5th year guy like Livingston (who, by the way, is 13 ppg, 5 rebounds per, 2 assists per for Texas Tech so far), but without the cop assault/mental hospital visit in his background.

This is where I think losing Sima hurt. I agree with everything you said above but it's not as prohibitive as lack of guard play would be. However 2018 has much better crop Naz Reid, Bol Bol (i think this has become less likely), Moses Brown. Some other guys not recruiting but I'd look into KJ Hymes, Valdir Manuel, Marcus Littles, Connor Vanover, but probably a transfer/juco at that point would be more likely. Keep in mind need to keep scholarship balance.

goredmen

« Reply #189 on: January 03, 2017, 11:55:13 AM »

The last 5 national championship winning teams have had a true college center

2016 Villanova - Ochefu
2015 Duke - Okafor
2014 Yukon - Nolan/Brimah
2013 Louisville - Dieng
2012 Kentucky - Anthony Davis

ras

« Reply #190 on: January 03, 2017, 11:56:23 AM »
Send Owens and Yakwe to big man camp and give them plenty of muscle milk.  Yakwe has potential, but may not live up to it and transfer is possibility. Bash, Clark, Williams at the 4 is good. But like many said, Williams is injury prone. The other 2, good, but undersized  Then one has to factor in injury. I would feel better w another big. One could argue we have Amar and Freud. I have been disappointed w them,  although Freud is young,  both seem to fancy themselves as 3s instead of real post players.

cjfish

« Reply #191 on: January 03, 2017, 12:30:38 PM »
pizza, supplements and the weight room daily for Owens, Yakwe.....for the whole team with Ahmed and Amar getting a pass
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:31:20 PM by cjfish »

Johnny23

« Reply #192 on: January 03, 2017, 01:02:01 PM »
You need another space eating big who can rebound if you want to be a top 25 team in the next year or two.

A 6'10+ bull is just what the Johnnies need.

Sure you can get by without one but look at all the big boys, Duke, UCLA, UK, UNC, KU, all have multiple big bodies.

I think Nova's downfall in the tourney this year will be the lack of a true big ie Ochefu.

wpc77

« Reply #193 on: January 03, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »

This is where I think losing Sima hurt. I agree with everything you said above but it's not as prohibitive as lack of guard play would be. However 2018 has much better crop Naz Reid, Bol Bol (i think this has become less likely), Moses Brown. Some other guys not recruiting but I'd look into KJ Hymes, Valdir Manuel, Marcus Littles, Connor Vanover, but probably a transfer/juco at that point would be more likely. Keep in mind need to keep scholarship balance.

Very true. Having one of our current guys develop very well by April, and a winning season, is probably going to help with the 2018 bigs

desco80

« Reply #194 on: January 03, 2017, 01:06:53 PM »
For some reason people think these 6'9 240lb "bull" -type players are easy to come by.  They're not. 
Ty Grant and Rico Gathers don't grow on trees.
Hell, Justin Burrell type players are hard to find.

And when you think you're getting one they end up like God's Gift or Orlando Sanchez and universally disappoint.

Johnny23

« Reply #195 on: January 03, 2017, 01:11:08 PM »
For some reason people think these 6'9 240lb "bull" -type players are easy to come by.  They're not. 
Ty Grant and Rico Gathers don't grow on trees.
Hell, Justin Burrell type players are hard to find.

And when you think you're getting one they end up like God's Gift or Orlando Sanchez and universally disappoint.

I don't think anyone is saying they're easy to come by but they are definitely out there. Just go through every Power conf roster in the country and I'm sure you'll see plenty of them.

With our current roster, we just need one of them, two at most.

cjfish

« Reply #196 on: January 03, 2017, 02:31:35 PM »
Have to think out of the box, G Thompson found big burly guys in the 80s who were often older and had not been to college.  Look at the Services teams and you may find one or more who are experienced and big and would be a mature man among boys.  Would love to see a 27 year old 6'8'' 250LB  power forward.  We a need big, mean spaceeater 

ras

« Reply #197 on: January 03, 2017, 02:44:59 PM »
We sure could use Zack for next year. But, at this point if he is a partial qualifier like Lovett, I wouldn't complain.

paultzman

« Reply #198 on: January 03, 2017, 02:47:54 PM »
We sure could use Zack for next year. But, at this point if he is a partial qualifier like Lovett, I wouldn't complain.

Wouldn't count on that either.

« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2017, 05:40:04 PM »

Wouldn't count on that either.

Unfortunately, ditto.