Derrick Walker, PF, MOKAN Elite, Ks. - TENNESSEE

• 178 replies

MCNPA

Re: Derrick Walker, PF, MOKAN Elite, Ks. - TENNESSEE
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2017, 02:41:40 PM »
Roster balance is always hard when you have to start from scratch with so many freshman in a given class.  I'm confident this staff knows how to address the issue.  We were going after very few, selected targets for 2017 once the two transfers came on board.  Add a big or two next year (depending on roster movement) and load up for 2018 and we should fine in that sense.  Matt was very successful playing the transfer game at Iowa St.

I'd be all over that.  I'm not convinced Kennedy was the magic recipe anyway.  We just need a strong and serviceable big to help us with interior game.

Poison

« Reply #141 on: February 03, 2017, 03:59:52 PM »
This is where real scouting comes into play.

If we can't get the 4 or 5 star then go find a kid who's a wide body 3 star type and let him develop.

Boston College used to be great at that when they were in the BE with Danya Abrams and some big white kid from Michigan in the early 2000's.

Those kids can be just as effective in college.

Except big Danye was a beast in high school, and everyone knew he could play. But yes, you make a valid point. We have been one of the worst evaluators of talent since Coach retired in 1992. IDK why we couldn't have spotted Kyle O'Quinn or AJ English, but to me, the answer is obvious... work harder. We know Matt hustles, but at this point, they need help from anywhere they can get it. We don't desperately need a big man. We desperately need three of them.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:22:37 PM by Poison »

« Reply #142 on: February 03, 2017, 04:29:05 PM »
You don't like Matt's recruiting to date?

Matt will target Juco & fifth year transfer pool it appears.

Matt should call Grasso and ask for some tips

When it comes to transfers, 5th year guys and finding unranked talent....I like Grasso

Marillac

« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2017, 04:33:33 PM »
Good luck in the SEC

What? I have seen no mention of him choosing

It's coming

Interesting. Everyone seemed confident, something must have changed. Makes the Grad transfer that much more of a need. I also don't like that our classes are getting unbalanced again. We are going to bring in zero freshman this year which means in 2-3 years we might have the youngest team in the country again. Maybe we hit the transfer market to combat that.

Walker would have given good balance, but we are still scheduled to have Ponds, Lovett, RF, Simon, and the OSNA kid in three years and even four out of those five would be a nasty group. I'm sure we'll pick up a highly rated young transfer or two in the next 14 months as well. An RF redshirt could also help there.

desco80

« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2017, 04:40:30 PM »
As long as the staff brings in top talent for the '18, this loss won't bother me. 

Take care of business w the junior class right now and we'll be fine.

wpc77

« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2017, 07:11:51 PM »
As long as the staff brings in top talent for the '18, this loss won't bother me. 

Sure, but getting good results in the class of 2018 is in large part continent on excelling on the court during the remainder of this season and in 17-18.  And we need a solid big to help do that.

Marillac

« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »

Sure, but getting good results in the class of 2018 is in large part continent on excelling on the court during the remainder of this season and in 17-18.  And we need a solid big to help do that.

Walker wasn't going to produce anything in 2017. It's not reasonable to think a three-star true freshman could outplay a pair of kids with three years of college experience that both were at least as highly regarded coming it of high school. Then factor in Ahmed, RF , and Yakwe.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 07:58:52 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2017, 08:09:11 PM »

Walker wasn't going to produce anything in 2017. It's not reasonable to think a three-star true freshman could outplay a pair of kids with three years of college experience that both were at least as highly regarded coming it of high school. Then factor in Ahmed, RF , and Yakwe.
If we got him you would be comparing him to Karl Malone.  :) As far as 3 stars I heard that the combined rosters of the two Super Bowl teams sport 2 five stars, 6 four stars and the rest are 2 and 3 stars.

Marillac

« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2017, 08:38:16 PM »

If we got him you would be comparing him to Karl Malone.  :) As far as 3 stars I heard that the combined rosters of the two Super Bowl teams sport 2 five stars, 6 four stars and the rest are 2 and 3 stars.

This is actually what I wrote on page four of this thread when it appeared he committed to us:  " Good news. Seems like a solid four year guy, but let's not expect anything  from him next year."
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:38:50 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2017, 09:29:08 PM »
Not to sound like sour grapes, but he is the 68th ranked power forward.  I would hope we can find a suitable replacement for him.

Exactly!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:32:13 PM by Moon Mullen »

« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2017, 09:31:12 PM »
The mania on the boards can drive the hysteria to a frenzy.  Time to realize a three star player is usually a three star player.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:36:30 PM by Moon Mullen »

« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2017, 10:36:18 PM »
I'm kind of surprised. Matt has good relationship with Mokan coaches from Iowa St days. Got Marvin and thought Walker would be next in pipeline.

I haven't seen Walker play but impression I get is he was of the Ronald Roberts mold in terms of under recruitment and upside. I'd like to stay away from a transfer unless a 1 yr rental.

2017 bigs are weak especially whats left and attainable.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

ras

« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2017, 10:36:47 PM »
He's a big body. W a good inside game. Would have been a nice 4 year player for us. . Between grad transfer, Jucos, red shirts transfers ,  and decommits, Matt will be on it.

wpc77

« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2017, 10:38:50 PM »

Part of getting good results is depth behind the guys you mentioned in case of injury, and to push the guys in front of him. A walk on from st francis prep who is 6"6" 200 lbs aint cutting it

Marillac

« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2017, 11:03:22 PM »

Part of getting good results is depth behind the guys you mentioned in case of injury, and to push the guys in front of him. A walk on from st francis prep who is 6"6" 200 lbs aint cutting it

I'm in full agreement on that. You can never have too many big bodies and solid four-year guys are the backbone of every good program not named Kentucky.

I was happy when it looked like we had him and I'd still rather have him than not , but it wouldn't surprise me to see the staff upgrade that roster spot with a young 4-star transfer like ala Simon.

« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2017, 11:28:18 PM »

I was happy when it looked like we had him and I'd still rather have him than not , but it wouldn't surprise me to see the staff upgrade that roster spot with a young 4-star transfer like ala Simon.

Bingo. Get a transfer to play and a transfer to sit. Successful offseason.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2017, 11:57:09 PM »
I'd like to stay away from a transfer unless a 1 yr rental.

I'm in agreement with you here.  Unless, the sit-out transfer is a complete stud, then I'd also rather stay away.

« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2017, 12:34:01 AM »
This team has got the pieces to compete for the NCAA's next year.  A transfer to stash for 2018 is great, but can't go into year 3 without a major upgrade to the low post with a big bodied kid who will rebound and defend.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:35:34 AM by rdstr25 »

« Reply #158 on: February 04, 2017, 12:52:29 AM »
Is it wrong of me to wish for failure of these prospects so that future ones might choose St. John's instead?

Johnny23

« Reply #159 on: February 04, 2017, 07:56:36 AM »
This is where real scouting comes into play.

If we can't get the 4 or 5 star then go find a kid who's a wide body 3 star type and let him develop.

Boston College used to be great at that when they were in the BE with Danya Abrams and some big white kid from Michigan in the early 2000's.

Those kids can be just as effective in college.

Danya Abrams was considered a top 70 recruit coming out of high school.  Abrams was actually a big time scorer and rebounder (coming out of HS).  He was also named "Mr. Basketball" in New York during his senior year in HS, too.

Abrams was more of a 4-star kid, and he had better credentials than Walker, coming out of HS.

You're missing my point. And I didn't recall Abrams being that highly ranked coming out of HS but even if he was, he still far exceeded expectations at the college level.

The point is the staff needs to cast a wider net for potential recruits. Between this region, Europe and every other area that this staff recruits, there has to be a few strong bigs left on the market.

No, I'm not missing your point.  Yes, Abrams was a top 70 recruit coming out of HS.  You saying, he exceeded expectations is subjective, but based on his HS ranking, then I'm not sure he exactly exceeded expectations on the collegiate level.

http://www.hoopscooponline.com/members/top100classof1993.html

I also think the staff should cast a wider net for potential recruits.  A poster called me a few days saying something similar.  We're certainly trying to build up the roster, and coming up snake eyes on the 2017 class, as far as bringing in freshmen, isn't quite the best look.   

Yeah that definitely would not be good if we don't get another big in here next year. I honestly didn't recall Abrams being that highly ranked coming out so I stand corrected and good call on that.