Matt A

• 695 replies

Poison

Re: Matt A
« Reply #480 on: May 13, 2017, 01:03:02 PM »
The difference is that the new staff will solve their problems.

Really? How do you know that? It's mid-May. We have no one coming in and we lost 4 players since December. Granted Sima is a sissy, but the other 3 that left were supposed to be building blocks for the future. The continuity that we've been searching for took a big hit.

There may be time to overcome the mistakes that have been made. But if they go into the season without adding a Center/PF, the results will be theirs to own.

« Reply #481 on: May 13, 2017, 01:40:56 PM »
Losing Ellison is addition by subtraction. Those of you who are making a big deal out of losing Williams and Freudenberg are fair weather fans who think the world is coming to an end every time things don't go right in their "snowflake" world.

« Reply #482 on: May 13, 2017, 02:14:20 PM »
Losing Ellison is addition by subtraction. Those of you who are making a big deal out of losing Williams and Freudenberg are fair weather fans who think the world is coming to an end every time things don't go right in their "snowflake" world.

Honestly, I'm not sweating losing those players.  But, it doesn't particularly look good losing so many at once from a continuity standpoint. 

I'd love for the staff to rectify their problems, but I don't see how you can say it so absolutely.  There hasn't been anything to prove it, and comes off as blind faith. 

I think they can partially remedy their 2017 miscues by landing Wilson.  But, a big added in would also suffice.  Although, I think they're moving on to future classes with or without Wilson. 

Personally, I hope to see much better defense and more sharing of the basketball.  If we do those things, then I think--with the talent we have--we'll be fine.

« Reply #483 on: May 13, 2017, 03:15:29 PM »
I remember back in 1985 many people said that Chris Mullin would never make it in the NBA. I predicted that he would be an NBA All Star. It had nothing to do with blind faith. I understood his game. He was the 2nd leading scorer on the 1984 Olympic Team behind only Michael Jordan. Many thought he would not make the Dream Team, and he was the 2nd or 3rd scorer on that team. I never underestimate the resolve of this man.

He was hired by St. John's without any coaching experience. Never coached at any level. He has made his share of mistakes, but he was a better coach in his 2nd year than he was in his first, and will be a better coach in his third year than he was in his second. Coach Mullin gets the full five years and probably more time than from me to turn around this program, and he will succeed at turning it around. Not blind faith, but total respect for the man, for his basketball knowledge and determination to succeed.

Yes I fully expect this man to succeed and I will follow this team and root for him as he brings St. John's basketball back.

derk

« Reply #484 on: May 13, 2017, 03:47:45 PM »
You sound like that old fart from Rm.com who refused to speak against Norm. If it was up to him Norm would still be the coach and Harrington the President. I hope you are right but evidence to the contrary is beginning to surpass your hopes. At this point we need to sign someone just to show that we can.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 03:48:50 PM by derk »

« Reply #485 on: May 13, 2017, 04:01:23 PM »
You simply sound like an a rear of a donkey, which i am quite sure you are.

cjfish

« Reply #486 on: May 13, 2017, 04:36:59 PM »
old farts rule

Poison

« Reply #487 on: May 13, 2017, 04:51:49 PM »

The best thing about freshman is that they become sophomores. Ellison was not without his issues on the court, but we've lost valuable continuity. He spent two years starting. That's a lot of wasted time to be casually tossed into the addition by subtraction category.

Williams leaving didn't bother me so much at first because of how fragile he is, but would you take him back now?

« Reply #488 on: May 13, 2017, 05:43:42 PM »
It is a great point on continuity and the value of upperclassmen, but I at least see why Malik would leave given who we have in the fold.  Having practiced against Simon all year, I'm sure he thinks that minutes may be hard to come by with Lovett, Ponds, Simon and Mussini at the 1/2 spots, and Simon/Ahmed at the 3 spot.  Williams is not as clear and, yes, we all would take him back now as a big off the bench.  But if the kid wants to go to a place where a coach is telling him he may start and get 25 minutes a game on the regular, what are you going to do?

Wods317

« Reply #489 on: May 13, 2017, 06:13:17 PM »

The best thing about freshman is that they become sophomores. Ellison was not without his issues on the court, but we've lost valuable continuity. He spent two years starting. That's a lot of wasted time to be casually tossed into the addition by subtraction category.

Williams leaving didn't bother me so much at first because of how fragile he is, but would you take him back now?

I agree with the continuity point but such is the way of college basketball these days. Most programs seems like they are losing multiple kids per class so losing kids after 2 years or more of development is pretty common. As the previous poster said Ellisons minutes look to be limited this upcoming season so may have been best for him to find playing Time elsewhere.

« Reply #490 on: May 13, 2017, 07:53:19 PM »
Losing Ellison is addition by subtraction. 

I disagree. At the minimum he was valuable as a guard that could attempt to guard an opponents big two  And Williams was easily our most "polished?" big offensively plus he hustled.  They were flawed but they were ours.  I hate losing players to other schools. 

Poison

« Reply #491 on: May 13, 2017, 08:47:25 PM »

I agree with the continuity point but such is the way of college basketball these days. Most programs seems like they are losing multiple kids per class so losing kids after 2 years or more of development is pretty common. As the previous poster said Ellisons minutes look to be limited this upcoming season so may have been best for him to find playing Time elsewhere.

If you lose the player before they develop into the player you envisioned them becoming, you are doing it wrong. The point was to have Ellison as a senior.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:48:01 PM by Poison »

« Reply #492 on: May 13, 2017, 08:57:19 PM »
There are approx 350 D-1  schools, and more than  double the amount of transfers.  It's a broader issue than this staff doing something wrong.

If Ellison getting recruited over w/ Simon is wrong, then Sean Miller @ Arizona recruiting over Simon is equally wrong. 

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:58:29 PM by RedStormNC »

Poison

« Reply #493 on: May 13, 2017, 09:00:02 PM »
There are approx 350 schools, and more than  double the amount of transfers.  It's a broader issue than the staff doing something wrong.

If Ellison getting recruited over w/ Simon is wrong, then Sean Miller @ Arizona recruiting over Simon is equally wrong.

If it's one time, ok. But we've lost 5 players who were supposed to be building blocks. They didn't waste any time celebrating when they picked St.John's. It's not we didn't need any of them either.

Wods317

« Reply #494 on: May 13, 2017, 09:44:22 PM »

If you lose the player before they develop into the player you envisioned them becoming, you are doing it wrong. The point was to have Ellison as a senior.

It happens all over the country. Agree with you on the continuity part but happens in a lot of programs. The way of the world now, agree to disagree

derk

« Reply #495 on: May 13, 2017, 10:34:40 PM »
You simply sound like an a rear of a donkey, which i am quite sure you are.
[/quote

I thought it was you. Hiding all these years. Did you think changing your name from old fan to longtime fan would help you go unnoticed. How's your old buddy Norm and Harrington doing.

Poison

« Reply #496 on: May 13, 2017, 10:38:38 PM »

It happens all over the country. Agree with you on the continuity part but happens in a lot of programs. The way of the world now, agree to disagree

It does. I agree. I'm just frustrated to see no progress w recruits and it's May.

MCNPA

« Reply #497 on: May 13, 2017, 11:12:28 PM »

It does. I agree. I'm just frustrated to see no progress w recruits and it's May.

What progress are you looking for exactly?  For 2017 we landed one 4* and one 5* transfer and have a top 70 SF visiting right now.  If your talking about landing a big man transfer of some type, I agree that most of us are frustrated with that.  Aside from not landing a big man, our class could be technically quite good if you're counting Clark and Simon.  I think we chose to go transfer route for a reason with 2017 class, both because we were rebuilding and new staff might not have had much relationships built with the 17' freshmen class.

As far as 2018 goes, only 19 of the top 150 are off the table, and we already have Diakite and transfer Mikey Dixon on board, and seemingly have good ties with quite a few in 18' class.

Definitely think we likely could use more big men, but we have recruited some pretty strong talent to this team's core and might skate through for 17' having two 4* kids and one 5* kid in the class.  Not near terrible.

Poison

« Reply #498 on: May 14, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »

What progress are you looking for exactly?  For 2017 we landed one 4* and one 5* transfer and have a top 70 SF visiting right now.  If your talking about landing a big man transfer of some type, I agree that most of us are frustrated with that.  Aside from not landing a big man, our class could be technically quite good if you're counting Clark and Simon.  I think we chose to go transfer route for a reason with 2017 class, both because we were rebuilding and new staff might not have had much relationships built with the 17' freshmen class.

As far as 2018 goes, only 19 of the top 150 are off the table, and we already have Diakite and transfer Mikey Dixon on board, and seemingly have good ties with quite a few in 18' class.

Definitely think we likely could use more big men, but we have recruited some pretty strong talent to this team's core and might skate through for 17' having two 4* kids and one 5* kid in the class.  Not near terrible.

I'm only talking about not addressing our needs. It's bad planning. Kind of like when Brian Mahoney didn't bother to recruit a point guard. It turned out to be the end of him. I would like to see Mullin avoid making the same mistake.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 09:52:26 AM by Poison »

« Reply #499 on: May 14, 2017, 04:10:50 PM »
Everyone thought Ellison and RF were terrible until they left. That's why I love this board.