Matt A

• 695 replies

goredmen

Re: Matt A
« Reply #540 on: March 25, 2018, 12:10:28 PM »
Matt was at PSAL semi finals at SJU, but surprisingly no staff attended the CHSAA Semis or Final despite Kofi, Davis & other very good prospects playing. It used to be a give in that SJU staff would attend, but that has lessened through the years.

I can confirm Matt and GSJ were at CHSAA semis at SJU sitting front row. And maybe they were only there because it was held in their house, who knows. The fact that they are not at every single NYC basketball event while Antigua is getting kids from here to play at Illinois is infuriating.

QuanMan

« Reply #541 on: March 25, 2018, 12:10:30 PM »
Matt was at PSAL semi finals at SJU, but surprisingly no staff attended the CHSAA Semis or Final despite Kofi, Davis & other very good prospects playing. It used to be a give in that SJU staff would attend, but that has lessened through the years.

RJ Davis lead Stepinac to the state title yesterday, we're actively recruiting him, we're not there for it, 15 other schools are. The marketing campaign reads 'NY's College Team' yet the staff isn't at the Catholic city tournament or state title game, I don't get it, inexcusable.
Section 3
Section 116

hnk

« Reply #542 on: March 25, 2018, 12:15:52 PM »
I thought you guys wanted staff to focus on Grad Transfers Bigs.....I know I do.

« Reply #543 on: March 25, 2018, 12:18:04 PM »
I thought you guys wanted staff to focus on Grad Transfers Bigs.....I know I do.

Yes... but there are four staff members..

Unless all four were out hunting grad bigs out of the tri-state area, someone should be at least showing face at NY events where other schools show.

Mullin's line about recruiting NY is like Trump's line about Mexico paying for the wall.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:19:36 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #544 on: March 25, 2018, 12:20:18 PM »

I can confirm Matt and GSJ were at CHSAA semis at SJU sitting front row. And maybe they were only there because it was held in their house, who knows. The fact that they are not at every single NYC basketball event while Antigua is getting kids from here to play at Illinois is infuriating.

Supposedly, Mullin wasn't at none of the games.  We definitely should've had someone at the championship game.   

« Reply #545 on: March 25, 2018, 12:20:39 PM »

We should. I'm not even saying Matt has to be there. But of the three assistant coaches and our head coach, can one not spare one day to be in the gym in NYC and one in Glen Falls? We should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Johnny23

« Reply #546 on: March 25, 2018, 12:20:57 PM »

Recruiting HS kids and grad transfers are not mutually exclusive. Most staffs recruit ALL players that can help their squad.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #547 on: March 25, 2018, 12:24:53 PM »
Like I've been saying for a while Chris Mullin is not fit to be a head coach at this level and needs to be fired ASAP. He won't be, but after this year when we inevitably have another key guy transfer, drama with the staff, and disappointing results on the court I hope the SJU admin finally see the light and fire this lazy loser. I would respect him if he was out busting his ass trying to recruit kids, but he's probably at Warriors HQ mixing it up with Steph Curry, and KD. You would think this supposed "great competitor" would be pissed that he's been embarrassed by his peers in the Big East the past 3 years, and he would be out there trying to get the advantage, but nah....

hnk

« Reply #548 on: March 25, 2018, 12:25:14 PM »
Where is Baldi when we need him?

« Reply #549 on: March 25, 2018, 12:27:10 PM »
So does anybody know what is happening here? Seems fairly obvious to me he's up to something again. Is he actually trying to leave on his own? Is he just bluffing more money again? Has Mullin and the administration had enough of him to the point where they are trying to push him out the door without having to fire him?
to be fair this isn't something that is happening right now. This was months ago and as far as I know it's not an issue. Now if Matt is talking to other schools right now I dont know. I just know what people in the school think if that happens

« Reply #550 on: March 25, 2018, 12:33:48 PM »

Matt only got a small allowance for hus recruiting travel budget as part of his new contract.  Once he exceeds it he needs to pay for it.

« Reply #551 on: March 25, 2018, 12:35:55 PM »

Gassing up the car, ready to drive Matt to airport.

I don't know why any of this surprises anyone here. Mullin backed the wrong horse, this is old news.

« Reply #552 on: March 25, 2018, 12:36:18 PM »
Do we have to deal with this negotiating tactic every April? Enough. 15 schools represented upstate this wknd and we're not present, what is going on?

Any school, any school, would NEVER allow an assistant to ever hold a program hostage let alone a head coach who runs it.  NEVER.

So your saying an assistant has never used a potential other job offer as leverage in getting more money at any program ? Heck coaches do it all the time too

That's complete bullshit

« Reply #553 on: March 25, 2018, 12:37:16 PM »
I hate being the guy that starts stuff especially when there's probably nothing to it but....

Remember around this time last year when Will Wade was named head coach at LSU and Matt started following all of those LSU accounts on Twitter and there was legit fire to go along with the smoke in the Matt to LSU rumors.

Well, a couple very interesting new follows by Matt on Twitter...
I can say confidently if he leaves the school is fine with it. He isn't getting fired but higher powers are tired of the money gran and he isn't the only one

And no-one has forgotten the article he wrote in the post last year knocking the staff but not him

I am always fascinated with this, last time I checked Matt doesn't have a lifetime contract.   His assistant contract needs to be re-upped in addition his boss is the HC of SJU who can get rid of him anytime.   This is not some sort of hostage situation, he holds zero power or authority at SJU.  Do you think if Mike Krzyzewski is dissatisfied with any assistant he is somehow forced to keep him? 

Matt is here because Chris wants him here, you have a problem with that you have a problem with Chris as the head coach, period.   Stop making this about an assistant.
it's not about a lifetime contract but people within the school have been annoyed by him always wanting more money since after the first season. This is a separate issue than the coach which is why I didnt mention the coach. Matt wont get fired because they aren't eating any of his contract which I'm pretty sure he got raise last year and I was told he is the highest paid assistant in the big east. Well at least that's what someone from the school said.. DO I want him to leave ? No. But all I said is if he took another job the school wouldn't be upset. And thats a FACT and I'm not speaking for Mullin. This comes from the school as of maybe 4 months ago
I hate being the guy that starts stuff especially when there's probably nothing to it but....

Remember around this time last year when Will Wade was named head coach at LSU and Matt started following all of those LSU accounts on Twitter and there was legit fire to go along with the smoke in the Matt to LSU rumors.

I can say confidently if he leaves the school is fine with it. He isn't getting fired but higher powers are tired of the money gran and he isn't the only one

And no-one has forgotten the article he wrote in the post last year knocking the staff but not him

I am always fascinated with this, last time I checked Matt doesn't have a lifetime contract.   His assistant contract needs to be re-upped in addition his boss is the HC of SJU who can get rid of him anytime.   This is not some sort of hostage situation, he holds zero power or authority at SJU.  Do you think if Mike Krzyzewski is dissatisfied with any assistant he is somehow forced to keep him? 

Matt is here because Chris wants him here, you have a problem with that you have a problem with Chris as the head coach, period.   Stop making this about an assistant.
it's not about a lifetime contract but people within the school have been annoyed by him always wanting more money since after the first season. This is a separate issue than the coach which is why I didnt mention the coach. Matt wont get fired because they aren't eating any of his contract which I'm pretty sure he got raise last year and I was told he is the highest paid assistant in the big east. Well at least that's what someone from the school said.. DO I want him to leave ? No. But all I said is if he took another job the school wouldn't be upset. And thats a FACT and I'm not speaking for Mullin. This comes from the school as of maybe 4 months ago

Hate to break it to you but this is not how assistant coaching contracts work and Chris controls it as does every HC.

Furthermore if SJU is being hamstrung by its 3rd assistant then everyone involved with the program from Chris Mullin to the AD should be fired immediately.

Furthermore there is no way in hell Chris allows a assistant to negotiate a contract without his explicit endorsement nor would any HC.  They wouldn't be a HC then. 

And lastly if Matt's contract is so punitive that he can't be fired then SJU does belong in the MAAC.
Hate to break it to you but Matt did in fact go to the school for more money. Did he go to Chris first ? It's possible. But he did go to the school. The school is still paying Slice. They'd rather not pay matt too for not working. This is a fact

Oh and another assistant wants more money too

I hate to break it to you I could care less your entire posts ate there to indirectly to impugn SJU and Mullin and is not to inform.  Mullin controls his staff I could care less who signs the checks.

« Reply #554 on: March 25, 2018, 12:40:16 PM »

Matt only got a small allowance for hus recruiting travel budget as part of his new contract.  Once he exceeds it he needs to pay for it.

wow.... wonder how big/small that travel budget is.

Was that before his solo trip to the European championships last year ?

https://twitter.com/mabde33/status/895789693199110145

That worked out well...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:42:13 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #555 on: March 25, 2018, 12:41:07 PM »

Hate to break it to you but this is not how assistant coaching contracts work and Chris controls it as does every HC.

Furthermore if SJU is being hamstrung by its 3rd assistant then everyone involved with the program from Chris Mullin to the AD should be fired immediately.

Furthermore there is no way in hell Chris allows a assistant to negotiate a contract without his explicit endorsement nor would any HC.  They wouldn't be a HC then. 

And lastly if Matt's contract is so punitive that he can't be fired then SJU does belong in the MAAC.
Hate to break it to you but Matt did in fact go to the school for more money. Did he go to Chris first ? It's possible. But he did go to the school. The school is still paying Slice. They'd rather not pay matt too for not working. This is a fact

I hate to break it to you I could care less your entire posts ate there to indirectly to impugn SJU and Mullin and is not to inform.  Mullin controls his staff I could care less who signs the checks.
lol you might act like you know what your talking about but you dont in this case. There were several other redmen posters who heard at the exact same time from the same person what I heard and the person that told us is very close with the school

« Reply #556 on: March 25, 2018, 12:42:25 PM »
Answer 3 questions:

1)Who decides whether Matt or anyone is part of SJU basketball/staff?

2)Who can get rid of at anytime any current staff member or player at SJU?

3) Who will ultimately get credit or blame if the program does not make a quantum leap forward next year?

The answer to all 3 of those questions is the same.  And it is not Anton Goff, Greg St. Jean Matt Abdelmassah. Don't make this anymore complicated then it is.

« Reply #557 on: March 25, 2018, 12:44:56 PM »

Gassing up the car, ready to drive Matt to airport.

I don't know why any of this surprises anyone here. Mullin backed the wrong horse, this is old news.

Ready to phone Slice? I miss him, too.

« Reply #558 on: March 25, 2018, 12:45:54 PM »
My only point is some have a problem with Matt.  Legitimate or not I could care less.  Matt is here because Chris wants him here period.  If you have a problem with that then you have a problem with Chris.   Period.

If you has a problem with Freddie Q at SJU then your ultimate problem is with Norm. If your problem at UCONN was with Raphael Chillious then your real problem is with the man who brought him there, Kevin Ollie.

« Reply #559 on: March 25, 2018, 12:47:04 PM »

lol you might act like you know what your talking about but you dont in this case. There were several other redmen posters who heard at the exact same time from the same person what I heard and the person that told us is very close with the school

Mike you can lol all you want but you don't answer my questions or ultimately dispute what I'm saying so have your fun.