Matt A

• 695 replies
Re: Matt A
« Reply #560 on: March 25, 2018, 12:49:26 PM »
Answer 3 questions:

1)Who decides whether Matt or anyone is part of SJU basketball/staff?

2)Who can get rid of at anytime any current staff member or player at SJU?

3) Who will ultimately get credit or blame if the program does not make a quantum leap forward next year?

The answer to all 3 of those questions is the same.  And it is not Anton Goff, Greg St. Jean Matt Abdelmassah. Don't make this anymore complicated then it is.
Answer 1 question. Where have I said anything to the contrary ?

« Reply #561 on: March 25, 2018, 12:50:17 PM »
Answer 3 questions:

3) Who will ultimately get credit or blame if the program does not make a quantum leap forward next year?

The answer to all 3 of those questions is the same.  And it is not Anton Goff, Greg St. Jean Matt Abdelmassah. Don't make this anymore complicated then it is.

Who said I directed that at you?

« Reply #562 on: March 25, 2018, 12:52:29 PM »
Answer 3 questions:

Some guy named Fordham96 just wrote this " Mike you can lol all you want but you don't answer my questions or ultimately dispute what I'm saying so have your fun. "

« Reply #563 on: March 25, 2018, 12:54:35 PM »
Answer 3 questions:

Some guy named Fordham96 just wrote this " Mike you can lol all you want but you don't answer my questions or ultimately dispute what I'm saying so have your fun. "

The questions were in previous posts not necessarily that one.

If others answered those questions they would understand why a raise or how it was done is ultimately meaningless or worthless to talk about.  That was the point.

« Reply #564 on: March 25, 2018, 12:55:07 PM »
I've sat on this a long time, but an aquaintence of mine who is an ISU booster told me this would happen the day we hired matt.  He said matt was very much an attention whore who pissed off the other assistants and as Baldi said they were happy to drive him to the ames airport. Matt wanted credit for every recruit that was on the ISU roster. CIrcumstances change ,  people dont.  You get with Matt what you get, hes works hard but doesnt play nice with others.

« Reply #565 on: March 25, 2018, 12:55:42 PM »
I mentioned this before, but it was told to me from someone in athletic department that Mullin only answers to pres- not to Goff. Only coach at sju to do so. If that’s true, Mullin is calling all the shots and is gm, pres and coach of his team. He will ultimately be responsible for whatever good or bad comes to this program as HC. To this date, he is showing he will go down with this ship alone, cause he doesn’t have anyone with basketball coaching knowledge in his ear. The results on and off court are proving this.

« Reply #566 on: March 25, 2018, 12:57:47 PM »
I mentioned this before, but it was told to me from someone in athletic department that Mullin only answers to pres- not to Goff. Only coach at sju to do so. If that’s true, Mullin is calling all the shots and is gm, pres and coach of his team. He will ultimately be responsible for whatever good or bad comes to this program as HC. To this date, he is showing he will go down with this ship alone, cause he doesn’t have anyone with basketball coaching knowledge in his ear. The results on and off court are proving this.

And all the rest is background noise.

« Reply #567 on: March 25, 2018, 01:00:56 PM »
Yep, but can’t help wonder if all this back ground noise is somewhat true. A big reason why we have seen a well connected coach get canned, tons of transfers(grad or not), and losing basketball during the season.

« Reply #568 on: March 25, 2018, 01:07:21 PM »
Yep, but can’t help wonder if all this back ground noise is somewhat true. A big reason why we have seen a well connected coach get canned, tons of transfers(grad or not), and losing basketball during the season.

Or at least some if it being pushed by people who have a lot invested in Coach succeeding that any chance he may not will lead some to already start blaming someone else.

« Reply #569 on: March 25, 2018, 01:10:01 PM »
I hate being the guy that starts stuff especially when there's probably nothing to it but....

Remember around this time last year when Will Wade was named head coach at LSU and Matt started following all of those LSU accounts on Twitter and there was legit fire to go along with the smoke in the Matt to LSU rumors.

Well, a couple very interesting new follows by Matt on Twitter...
I can say confidently if he leaves the school is fine with it. He isn't getting fired but higher powers are tired of the money gran and he isn't the only one

And no-one has forgotten the article he wrote in the post last year knocking the staff but not him

I am always fascinated with this, last time I checked Matt doesn't have a lifetime contract.   His assistant contract needs to be re-upped in addition his boss is the HC of SJU who can get rid of him anytime.   This is not some sort of hostage situation, he holds zero power or authority at SJU.  Do you think if Mike Krzyzewski is dissatisfied with any assistant he is somehow forced to keep him? 

Matt is here because Chris wants him here, you have a problem with that you have a problem with Chris as the head coach, period.   Stop making this about an assistant.
it's not about a lifetime contract but people within the school have been annoyed by him always wanting more money since after the first season. This is a separate issue than the coach which is why I didnt mention the coach. Matt wont get fired because they aren't eating any of his contract which I'm pretty sure he got raise last year and I was told he is the highest paid assistant in the big east. Well at least that's what someone from the school said.. DO I want him to leave ? No. But all I said is if he took another job the school wouldn't be upset. And thats a FACT and I'm not speaking for Mullin. This comes from the school as of maybe 4 months ago

Mullin needs to manage thus internal stuff, but it appears he is a very lay back guy. Not bashing him, but as a “manager” I thought he also needed to resolve Slice discontent & his differences with Matt. The latter created bad optics and gave grist for the mill to our competitors. Lord knows he brokered great salaries for these guys & should have just told them to suck it up & stop the nonsense. Just my take, but maybe there was more to it. In any event this assistant coach drama has not been helpful.
I really didn't like the way it appeared Matt went about procuring the raise last off-season.  Maybe CM hitched his wagon to the wrong horse.

Right most people who go behind their bosses' back not only don't get a raise they get fired.  Seems this guy not only doesn't get fired but he gets loyalty FROM his boss.

Wow strange no?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 01:12:23 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #570 on: March 25, 2018, 01:14:39 PM »
Just my opinion, but seems as though Mullin was hired for a few big reasons. Drive up alumni money and he lives and breathes sju. School didn’t want to bring a coach in to use school as stepping stone. Seems Mullin all in on Matt, cause he’s a sju alum and will put school in best light possible.  the love for university seems to be alienating others, hence slice.

« Reply #571 on: March 25, 2018, 01:23:57 PM »
Matt was at PSAL semi finals at SJU, but surprisingly no staff attended the CHSAA Semis or Final despite Kofi, Davis & other very good prospects playing. It used to be a give in that SJU staff would attend, but that has lessened through the years.

Matt only got a small allowance for hus recruiting travel budget as part of his new contract.  Once he exceeds it he needs to pay for it.

wow.... wonder how big/small that travel budget is.

Was that before his solo trip to the European championships last year ?

https://twitter.com/mabde33/status/895789693199110145

That worked out well...

Gas is getting more expensive. That's at least $50 in gas plus ez pass tolls :)

« Reply #572 on: March 25, 2018, 01:24:32 PM »
What a revolting development this is. All I can say is the entire staff deserves huge raises based on the stellar results they have achieved over the past 3 seasons.If Matt is on the way out can probably forget any grad transfer bigs. But have no fear if Matt departs good ole Mo will replace him with another one of his cronies, probably Tim Hardaway and we can claim 2 HOF coaches and an honorable mention. We are St. John's! We are, a mess!

« Reply #573 on: March 25, 2018, 01:38:14 PM »
Just my opinion, but seems as though Mullin was hired for a few big reasons. Drive up alumni money and he lives and breathes sju. School didn’t want to bring a coach in to use school as stepping stone. Seems Mullin all in on Matt, cause he’s a sju alum and will put school in best light possible.  the love for university seems to be alienating others, hence slice.

The PR  and fundraising were part of it but to me the larger part was SJU was falling behind Villanova.  Why?  No scandals, no NCAA violations, why?  The answer was leadership.   There was no viable excuse for it other than leadership. And in Chris they saw some one who was heavily invested in SJU and specifically wants to see this succeed more than anyone.  And they are going to give home the appropriate amount of time.

I think he wants to succeed as well but he needs to understand the time given won't be endless.

« Reply #574 on: March 25, 2018, 01:46:56 PM »

The PR  and fundraising were part of it but to me the larger part was SJU was falling behind Villanova.  Why?  No scandals, no NCAA violations, why?  The answer was leadership.   There was no viable excuse for it other than leadership. And in Chris they saw some one who was heavily invested in SJU and specifically wants to see this succeed more than anyone.  And they are going to give home the appropriate amount of time.

I think he wants to succeed as well but he needs to understand the time given won't be endless.

My perception is that Mullin still doesn't fully understand the difference between the pros and college, both in terms of the game itself (x's and o's), and being so laid back (which could be interpreted as too hands off with players/assuming maturity and loyalty, and recruiting). It's worrisome.

QuanMan

« Reply #575 on: March 25, 2018, 01:47:05 PM »
So no one can answer why he recently started following Dan Hurley and Andy Toole.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #576 on: March 25, 2018, 01:51:49 PM »
So no one can answer why he recently started following Dan Hurley and Andy Toole.

I presume for the same reason he follows, Obama, Trump and Patrick Ewing, because he wants to...

« Reply #577 on: March 25, 2018, 02:11:23 PM »

I agree on the nova part. What’s baffling is for a school that is so far behind nova, one would think in year 4, has to be the last straw to make headway. In year one, his biggest hurdle was fielding a team. Here we are in year 4, he only loses 2 srs and sju is in no better shape to compete for a top 3 seed.

Marillac

« Reply #578 on: March 25, 2018, 02:32:32 PM »
I hate being the guy that starts stuff especially when there's probably nothing to it but....

Remember around this time last year when Will Wade was named head coach at LSU and Matt started following all of those LSU accounts on Twitter and there was legit fire to go along with the smoke in the Matt to LSU rumors.

I can say confidently if he leaves the school is fine with it. He isn't getting fired but higher powers are tired of the money gran and he isn't the only one

And no-one has forgotten the article he wrote in the post last year knocking the staff but not him

I am always fascinated with this, last time I checked Matt doesn't have a lifetime contract.   His assistant contract needs to be re-upped in addition his boss is the HC of SJU who can get rid of him anytime.   This is not some sort of hostage situation, he holds zero power or authority at SJU.  Do you think if Mike Krzyzewski is dissatisfied with any assistant he is somehow forced to keep him? 

Matt is here because Chris wants him here, you have a problem with that you have a problem with Chris as the head coach, period.   Stop making this about an assistant.
it's not about a lifetime contract but people within the school have been annoyed by him always wanting more money since after the first season. This is a separate issue than the coach which is why I didnt mention the coach. Matt wont get fired because they aren't eating any of his contract which I'm pretty sure he got raise last year and I was told he is the highest paid assistant in the big east. Well at least that's what someone from the school said.. DO I want him to leave ? No. But all I said is if he took another job the school wouldn't be upset. And thats a FACT and I'm not speaking for Mullin. This comes from the school as of maybe 4 months ago

Hate to break it to you but this is not how assistant coaching contracts work and Chris controls it as does every HC.

Furthermore if SJU is being hamstrung by its 3rd assistant then everyone involved with the program from Chris Mullin to the AD should be fired immediately.

Furthermore there is no way in hell Chris allows a assistant to negotiate a contract without his explicit endorsement nor would any HC.  They wouldn't be a HC then. 

And lastly if Matt's contract is so punitive that he can't be fired then SJU does belong in the MAAC.

Give it a rest. What gives you the right to constantly tell everyone how to think and what to post? 95% of the board feels the same as Maher on this. You come off like a four year old girl making rules for a tea party. Tell us more about the two year plan and how good we'll be after we get rid of that Ponds kid.

« Reply #579 on: March 25, 2018, 04:03:20 PM »

Because it's an interesting time to follow them. Very common this time of year.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle