Matt A

• 695 replies
Re: Matt A
« Reply #580 on: March 26, 2018, 03:37:26 PM »
I hate being the guy that starts stuff especially when there's probably nothing to it but....

Remember around this time last year when Will Wade was named head coach at LSU and Matt started following all of those LSU accounts on Twitter and there was legit fire to go along with the smoke in the Matt to LSU rumors.

Well, a couple very interesting new follows by Matt on Twitter...
I can say confidently if he leaves the school is fine with it. He isn't getting fired but higher powers are tired of the money gran and he isn't the only one

And no-one has forgotten the article he wrote in the post last year knocking the staff but not him

I am always fascinated with this, last time I checked Matt doesn't have a lifetime contract.   His assistant contract needs to be re-upped in addition his boss is the HC of SJU who can get rid of him anytime.   This is not some sort of hostage situation, he holds zero power or authority at SJU.  Do you think if Mike Krzyzewski is dissatisfied with any assistant he is somehow forced to keep him? 

Matt is here because Chris wants him here, you have a problem with that you have a problem with Chris as the head coach, period.   Stop making this about an assistant.
it's not about a lifetime contract but people within the school have been annoyed by him always wanting more money since after the first season. This is a separate issue than the coach which is why I didnt mention the coach. Matt wont get fired because they aren't eating any of his contract which I'm pretty sure he got raise last year and I was told he is the highest paid assistant in the big east. Well at least that's what someone from the school said.. DO I want him to leave ? No. But all I said is if he took another job the school wouldn't be upset. And thats a FACT and I'm not speaking for Mullin. This comes from the school as of maybe 4 months ago
I hate being the guy that starts stuff especially when there's probably nothing to it but....

Remember around this time last year when Will Wade was named head coach at LSU and Matt started following all of those LSU accounts on Twitter and there was legit fire to go along with the smoke in the Matt to LSU rumors.

Well, a couple very interesting new follows by Matt on Twitter...
I can say confidently if he leaves the school is fine with it. He isn't getting fired but higher powers are tired of the money gran and he isn't the only one

And no-one has forgotten the article he wrote in the post last year knocking the staff but not him

I am always fascinated with this, last time I checked Matt doesn't have a lifetime contract.   His assistant contract needs to be re-upped in addition his boss is the HC of SJU who can get rid of him anytime.   This is not some sort of hostage situation, he holds zero power or authority at SJU.  Do you think if Mike Krzyzewski is dissatisfied with any assistant he is somehow forced to keep him? 

Matt is here because Chris wants him here, you have a problem with that you have a problem with Chris as the head coach, period.   Stop making this about an assistant.
it's not about a lifetime contract but people within the school have been annoyed by him always wanting more money since after the first season. This is a separate issue than the coach which is why I didnt mention the coach. Matt wont get fired because they aren't eating any of his contract which I'm pretty sure he got raise last year and I was told he is the highest paid assistant in the big east. Well at least that's what someone from the school said.. DO I want him to leave ? No. But all I said is if he took another job the school wouldn't be upset. And thats a FACT and I'm not speaking for Mullin. This comes from the school as of maybe 4 months ago

Hate to break it to you but this is not how assistant coaching contracts work and Chris controls it as does every HC.

Furthermore if SJU is being hamstrung by its 3rd assistant then everyone involved with the program from Chris Mullin to the AD should be fired immediately.

Furthermore there is no way in hell Chris allows a assistant to negotiate a contract without his explicit endorsement nor would any HC.  They wouldn't be a HC then. 

And lastly if Matt's contract is so punitive that he can't be fired then SJU does belong in the MAAC.

Give it a rest. What gives you the right to constantly tell everyone how to think and what to post? 95% of the board feels the same as Maher on this. You come off like a four year old girl making rules for a tea party. Tell us more about the two year plan and how good we'll be after we get rid of that Ponds kid.

Have to give him credit he managed to annoy Maher. That hasn't been done since the heyday of Realfan.

pmg911

« Reply #581 on: March 26, 2018, 04:15:25 PM »

Have to give him credit he managed to annoy Maher. That hasn't been done since the heyday of Realfan.

and Old Red

« Reply #582 on: March 26, 2018, 04:26:08 PM »

and Old Red

He was a Norm guy if I remember correctly and took Maher forever to become anti Norm so they were "aligned" for the most part.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 04:27:29 PM by we are sju »

paultzman

« Reply #583 on: March 26, 2018, 04:48:17 PM »
Matt not perfect but doing his job, was all over the place last week, including monitoring some JUCO players apparently.

« Reply #584 on: March 26, 2018, 04:56:12 PM »
Matt not perfect but doing his job, was all over the place last week, including monitoring some JUCO players apparently.

My biggest issue was the roster imbalance and reliance on transfers. Buck stops with Mullin but again I didn't really see a coaching issue this year. We lost a lot of close games because we were playing 6 guys and honestly our best player was not shooting well for a big part of the 11 game losing streak.
I get he is primary recruiter. Does not mean he is doing a great job. Just means other guys are doing a terrible job.
As far as recruiting I don't even mean  get me 4 star guys. Get me a couple more Marvin Clark's We always seem to be scrambling to fill out roster.

paultzman

« Reply #585 on: March 26, 2018, 05:05:17 PM »

My biggest issue was the roster imbalance and reliance on transfers. Buck stops with Mullin but again I didn't really see a coaching issue this year. We lost a lot of close games because we were playing 6 guys and honestly our best player was not shooting well for a big part of the 11 game losing streak.
I get he is primary recruiter. Does not mean he is doing a great job. Just means other guys are doing a terrible job.
As far as recruiting I don't even mean  get me 4 star guys. Get me a couple more Marvin Clark's We always seem to be scrambling to fill out roster.
Certainly not saying anything about doing a great job. Just noting he has been out there the past week. I frankly think we rely on him too much, but that’s Mullin’s call.

ras

« Reply #586 on: March 26, 2018, 05:14:35 PM »

Certainly not saying anything about doing a great job. Just noting he has been out there the past week. I frankly think we rely on him too much, but that’s Mullin’s call.
Mullin said after he was hired , that he was going to check out all the local gyms and not leave a stone unturned. Im annoyed that he isnt recruiting as much as he should considering we are short staffed and Mitch doesnt recruit and St Jean barely recruits. Why cant Mitch or St Jean recruit more.

paultzman

« Reply #587 on: March 26, 2018, 05:16:30 PM »

Mullin said after he was hired , that he was going to check out all the local gyms and not leave a stone unturned. Im annoyed that he isnt recruiting as much as he should considering we are short staffed and Mitch doesnt recruit and St Jean barely recruits. Why cant Mitch or St Jean recruit more.
Reasonable question

« Reply #588 on: March 26, 2018, 06:23:08 PM »

If only one guy is recruiting, Matt, then it is hard to blame him for the turnstile roster. That is a by product of Mullin the general manager of the team. The general manager put himself and the program in a position of employing only one recruiter.

It will be disappointing if the entire coaching staff comes back intact. Mike Rice would fill two roles.

paultzman

« Reply #589 on: March 26, 2018, 06:26:54 PM »

If only one guy is recruiting, Matt, then it is hard to blame him for the turnstile roster. That is a by product of Mullin the general manager of the team. The general manager put himself and the program in a position of employing only one recruiter.

It will be disappointing if the entire coaching staff comes back intact. Mike Rice would fill two roles.
I believe that ship has sailed

« Reply #590 on: March 26, 2018, 06:38:59 PM »
Backed the wrong guy

« Reply #591 on: March 26, 2018, 07:31:26 PM »
Backed the wrong guy

Are people kicking down Slice’s door to hire him?

hnk

« Reply #592 on: March 26, 2018, 07:39:22 PM »
Besides Baldi?

« Reply #593 on: March 26, 2018, 07:43:04 PM »

and Old Red

He was a Norm guy if I remember correctly and took Maher forever to become anti Norm so they were "aligned" for the most part.
Haaaa yeah. I wasn't exactly a true Normie because I didnt want to hire him but I definitely supported him for at least 4 years. I think I turned his second to last year and by the last year I was so insane I was hoping we didnt make the NCAA's because I wanted Norm gone so bad but yeah in the beginning once he was already hired I was in his corner
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:45:22 PM by mjmaherjr »

« Reply #594 on: March 26, 2018, 07:44:48 PM »

Agreed but like Paultz said I dont think Rice is happening now which is ashamed because I would be 100% in favor of that

« Reply #595 on: March 26, 2018, 07:46:54 PM »

It's ridiculous that they dont recruit. And recruiting a couple players Jordan Brown included doesn't get much cred in my book because you need to have a lot of stokes in the fire because recruiting is so unpredictable

« Reply #596 on: March 26, 2018, 07:50:50 PM »
Backed the wrong guy

We got 9th place locked up boys

« Reply #597 on: March 26, 2018, 07:57:15 PM »
Slice? Why the fck would he come back here?

« Reply #598 on: March 26, 2018, 07:57:22 PM »
Backed the wrong guy

How we do with Slice?

« Reply #599 on: March 26, 2018, 07:58:53 PM »
Backed the wrong guy

How we do with Slice?

Who know. We do know how we did with MAtt