Matt A

• 695 replies
Re: Matt A
« Reply #640 on: March 27, 2018, 03:01:15 PM »
No one wants these band of misfits, we call a staff except for Matty A, folks.  Sorry to break the news to everyone who thinks Mullin is going to turn this ship around-  He isn't.  If SJU had a competent staff, who could develop players and coach them up, SJU would of won more than 16 games last year.  Its not the talent that is coming in that is the problem, its the talent leaving and the lack of coaching.

We have one recruiter who is trying to make up for all the kids Mullin loses YOY.  Folks around the country see this, and if Matty A wants out, he will have a new job quicker than anyone wants to believe.

I feel like we've been saying this on here ad nauseum and it never gets any less true. It's also comical how when guys leave like TO or Matt possibly that it's always how SJU is fine without them which is not true. Make or break time for Mullin and staff. He needs to pull a serious rabbit out of his hat to turn this thing around next year. Longshot.

Why is it comical for us to be better off without Greg Jefferies and his dad if he wants ten shots a game? You can't have your program held hostage by kids of his caliber. In a perfect scenario he would come back with 20 lbs of muscle and play a 5th or sixth man energy role. We'd all sign up for that. It's getting a little old that we can't keep guys four years, but that's what happens when you completely change staffs every 4-6 years.

It's comical because of the revolving door under Mullin. You only keep status quo when things are working which is not the case here.

Lavin's last year we basically had 6 guys. It is hard to recruit here and even harder to keep guys.
Yes it is hard to recruit. Especially when you don't.

Haha!  I hear 'ya! 

It's probably not exactly easy to recruit to St. John's, but it's likely extremely, difficult to recruit here when no one else is doing so other than one person.  Being our situation isn't as easy, as blue bloods and other schools of that ilk, then our staff should be beating the hell outta the bushes searching and recruiting kids. 

Starting with the administration to coaching....  This is some foolishness.

« Reply #641 on: March 27, 2018, 03:45:07 PM »
Lavin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Norm>>>>>>Mullin

Norm isn't better than anyone.

If he's not better then they're tied. SJU undoubtedly made a mistake choosing Mullin over Lavin, and an even bigger mistake choosing Mullin over Hurley. Just sucks now we have to wait for inevitable disappointment, and despair before Mullin either steps down or is fired. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after the Nova and Duke wins, but the fact that he's not out busting his ass recruiting just shows me he's not only too incompetent but too arrogant as well.

All that matters to me is tourney appearances and when we make it next year Mullin will have made as many tourney's in 4 years as Lavin did.

ras

« Reply #642 on: March 27, 2018, 04:25:48 PM »

If he's not better then they're tied. SJU undoubtedly made a mistake choosing Mullin over Lavin, and an even bigger mistake choosing Mullin over Hurley. Just sucks now we have to wait for inevitable disappointment, and despair before Mullin either steps down or is fired. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after the Nova and Duke wins, but the fact that he's not out busting his ass recruiting just shows me he's not only too incompetent but too arrogant as well.

All that matters to me is tourney appearances and when we make it next year Mullin will have made as many tourney's in 4 years as Lavin did.
I don’t understand Your arithmetic. Lavin made 2 ncaas and 1. Nit.

« Reply #643 on: March 27, 2018, 04:35:54 PM »

He was actually referring from the 2010-2011 to 2014-2015 seasons that Lavin only made the NCAA Tournament once.  That's factual, but any person can make stats fit their argument (although, NCAA Tournament appearances is the cat's meow).  Similarly, to how you used Lavin's overall tournament stat during that timeframe (although, you forgot one of his NIT appearances).  Factual and the better way to analyze the overall picture.  As, I've said before we won 6 games in a better Big East with only 6 players (all freshmen, God'sGift and no point guard).

I surmise some folks are concerned about the overall optics of the program, hence why I believe someone above mentioned about "comfortably" making the tournament next season. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:42:02 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #644 on: March 27, 2018, 04:43:59 PM »

In Lavin's first 4 years he made one tourney. NIT is useless.

« Reply #645 on: March 27, 2018, 04:47:56 PM »

He was actually referring from the 2010-2011 to 2014-2015 seasons that Lavin only made the NCAA Tournament once.  That's factual, but any person can make stats fit their argument (although, NCAA Tournament appearances is the cat's meow).  Similarly, to how you used Lavin's overall tournament stat during that timeframe (although, you forgot one of his NIT appearances).  Factual and the better way to analyze the overall picture.  As, I've said before we won 6 games in a better Big East with only 6 players (all freshmen, God'sGift and no point guard).

I surmise some folks are concerned about the overall optics of the program, hence why I believe someone above mentioned about "comfortably" making the tournament next season. 

I indicated that the tourney is all that matters to ME personally. And by tourney I mean NCAA naturally. Where does the Hatten NIT title rank in your favorite Johnny teams? Nowhere, yeah for me as well.
If Mullin makes tourney next year he will tie Lavin. Wasn't swipe at Lavin. It is a fact and around here one out of every 4 years is not bad. If Mullin then does not make tourney in his 5th year he will be less succesful than Lavin in MY grading system.

« Reply #646 on: March 27, 2018, 05:01:20 PM »

I indicated that the tourney is all that matters to ME personally. And by tourney I mean NCAA naturally. Where does the Hatten NIT title rank in your favorite Johnny teams? Nowhere, yeah for me as well.
If Mullin makes tourney next year he will tie Lavin. Wasn't swipe at Lavin. It is a fact and around here one out of every 4 years is not bad. If Mullin then does not make tourney in his 5th year he will be less succesful than Lavin in MY grading system.

I knew what you meant, in reference to the NCAA Tournament and how it matters to you.  It practically means the same to me, too.  I also didn't particularly think it was a slight towards Lavin.

I didn't initially care about going to the NIT during Hatten's final season being what we did (NCAA's) with basically the same team a year earlier.  It was a disappointment.  I got into it once we made it to MSG for the semifinals and, of course, championship game.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 05:02:05 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #647 on: March 27, 2018, 05:12:45 PM »
FYI, see this Spring's calendar mapped out below. The initial Spring Signing date is April 11th and it runs through May 16th--

I fully expect to see the Staff well represented through May as they enter their most critical Year 4 with many roster spots to fill with BE level talent--

(e) March 29 through April 5 (noon), 2018: Dead Period
(f) April 5 (noon)-18, 2018 [except for (1) below]: Recruiting Period
(1) April 9-12, 2018: Dead Period
(g) April 19 through July 5, 2018 [except for (1) - (4) below]: (1) April 20-22, 2018: Quiet Period
(2) April 27-29, 2018: Evaluation Period
(3) NBA Draft Combine:
(4) May 17-25, 2018: Dead Period
What type of damage are they going to be able to do on the recruiting trail with Mullin as a lame duck? We're in that dangerous extend him or fire him time but administration will just wait it out and then be surprised when he can't get a decent hs recruit to jump on board.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:44:14 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

Johnny23

« Reply #648 on: March 27, 2018, 08:16:11 PM »
FYI, see this Spring's calendar mapped out below. The initial Spring Signing date is April 11th and it runs through May 16th--

I fully expect to see the Staff well represented through May as they enter their most critical Year 4 with many roster spots to fill with BE level talent--

(g) April 19 through July 5, 2018 [except for (1) - (4) below]: (1) April 20-22, 2018: Quiet Period
(3) NBA Draft Combine:
What type of damage are they going to be able to do on the recruiting trail with Mullin as a lame duck? We're in that dangerous extend him or fire him time but administration will just wait it out and then be surprised when he can't get a decent hs recruit to jump on board.

That's an empty threat. It's not like he's doing any damage on the recruiting trail now. He's created this situation and now he needs to get out of it. The ball is squarely in Mullin's court. He needs to deliver now regardless of his job status.

« Reply #649 on: March 27, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »

(3) NBA Draft Combine:

April 20-22 and April 27-29 are the early live periods.  Remember Chris missed them last year because of his hip surgery which also led to him missing his in home with Naz Reid which became a huge circus.

Will need to be absolutely ubiquitous during that period.  Also any staff changes will need to be in place by then, if any actually happen.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:06:20 PM by fordham96 »

QuanMan

« Reply #650 on: March 27, 2018, 11:09:18 PM »
If anyone's ruling out a monster class this Spring Signing Period when the program needs it most I think you're grossly underestimating Mullin as a competitor and Abs' ability in the transfer market. Next season is too important, if anyone knows it, it's this staff. You don't think that they knew that Tariq could leave this offseason? There were rumblings on this very board throughout Dec-Feb.

As fans we all get the news either hours before or as it happens. The staff with their backs against the wall know what they're up against at this very moment, what they need heading into the Summer and what their plan of attack is over the next two months.

Like I've been saying, Tariq is replaceable 10x over with the 10-20 other grad transfer bigs that will be on the market. He wasn't a program changing talent and his void isn't that big. Neither will Yakwe or Bryan be should they be shown the door at semester's end.

The idea that there is complete unrest and a lack of grip over this program isn't believable on my end. I still trust Chris, his market value and basketball acumen. I'll say otherwise if it's July 4th and the frontline is still barren and we don't have a backup SF, but I won't bet on it.   
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:55:04 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #651 on: March 27, 2018, 11:23:52 PM »
If anyone's ruling out a monster class this Spring Signing Period when the program needs it most I think you're grossly underestimating Mullin as a competitor and Abs' ability in the transfer market. This season is too important, if anyone knows it, it's this staff. You don't think that they knew that Tariq could leave this offseason? There were rumblings on this very board throughout Dec-Feb.

As fans we all get the news either hours before or as it happens. The staff with their backs against the wall know what they're up against at this very moment, what they need heading into the Summer and what their plan of attack is over the next two months.

Like I've been saying, Tariq is replaceable 10x over with the 10-20 other grad transfer bigs that will be on the market. He wasn't a program changing talent and his void isn't that big. Neither will Yakwe or Bryan be should they be shown the door at semester's end.

The idea that there is complete unrest and a lack of grip over this program isn't believable on my end. I still trust Chris, his market value and basketball acumen. I'll say otherwise if it's July 4th and the frontline is still barren and we don't have a backup SF, but I won't bet on it.   

If Owens, Yakwe and Trimble leave we'll return Simon, Clark and hopefully Ponds. That makes us a young team again in year 4. No one is ruling any recruit in or out, but Mullin needs to step it up. It's alarming that the guys Mullin has brought in don't want to continue to play for him once they have another option.

« Reply #652 on: March 28, 2018, 02:28:41 AM »
Question, can it be possible Clark can graduate this spring? I believe he will be 24 when the season starts.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

paultzman

« Reply #653 on: March 28, 2018, 08:02:05 AM »
If anyone's ruling out a monster class this Spring Signing Period when the program needs it most I think you're grossly underestimating Mullin as a competitor and Abs' ability in the transfer market. Next season is too important, if anyone knows it, it's this staff. You don't think that they knew that Tariq could leave this offseason? There were rumblings on this very board throughout Dec-Feb.

Assume CM out West looking at Brown?
https://twitter.com/scottagness/status/978830214406004736?s=21
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:02:50 AM by paultzman »

TONYD3

« Reply #654 on: March 28, 2018, 09:35:41 AM »

4/14 9th place season is the same as winning 20 games and being a bubble team. Great argument

« Reply #655 on: March 28, 2018, 10:09:13 AM »

4/14 9th place season is the same as winning 20 games and being a bubble team. Great argument

Also, it doesn't look likely that we make the tournament next year. Essentially the same team with a couple new hopefully rotation players, and we lose our best big man and 3rd leading scorer.

« Reply #656 on: March 28, 2018, 10:26:21 AM »

Also, it doesn't look likely that we make the tournament next year. Essentially the same team with a couple new hopefully rotation players, and we lose our best big man and 3rd leading scorer.

We didn’t lose our 3rd leading scorer. Doubt any other big east team is returning its 3 best players. If we land one grad transfer Big that can contribute for 20-25 minutes I’d say tourney or bust.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #657 on: March 28, 2018, 10:44:55 AM »

NIT is useless yes. 18 wins or 12 wins no difference to me. I thought Lavin did enough to get an extension based off his two NCAA appearances. If Mullin duplicates it is a wash.

« Reply #658 on: March 28, 2018, 10:49:03 AM »

We didn’t lose our 3rd leading scorer. Doubt any other big east team is returning its 3 best players. If we land one grad transfer Big that can contribute for 20-25 minutes I’d say tourney or bust.

Owens playing the role he did the last 2 years would be a big loss. Owens thinking he needs more shots and not understanding his limitations....There is enough to bash Mullin about. Owns having delusions of grandeur is not one of them.
Ponds, Simon and Clark are core. Hopefully 2 or 3 of new guys can contribute we will make the tourney.

Marillac

« Reply #659 on: March 28, 2018, 11:08:23 AM »

We return an All-American who will be an upperclassman for the first time. He learned to carry the team in the second half. We make the tournament if the other guys can just play even or close to it. Keita, Dixon, Williams, and a grad transfer will give this team an entirely different look.