Matt A

• 695 replies

Marillac

Re: Matt A
« Reply #680 on: March 28, 2018, 04:58:21 PM »
Marillac-you seem to really love small and I mean small line-ups. Me thinks you would love us to recruit a team of vertically challenged people. Is your favorite actor Peter Dinklage by any chance?

It is his way of taking a shot at Simon. Simon is not a good shooter and is to prone but is perfectly fine as a secondary or co ball handler. As point forward he would be fine from 3 spot. Under no circumstance will he or should he play the four.

And let me ask you this, who helps on a play where Simon drives to the basket defended by a four when Clark playing the five sets the screen and has to be kept within an arm's length because he shoots so well from deep? Is a guard going to leave Ponds? That's checkmate.

And what happens when Simon has to go up against 6'8 and 6'9 guys constantly? He will get his shit owned all day. Are you being serious with this stuff? It's so f'ing outlandish not sure if you are. No real 4 is going to guard Simon that far away from the basket anyway. He can't shoot a jumper to save his life. Not to mention real PF's would own the glass on him all day and post him up all day due to his height. Clark is a prototypical 3 in a PF's body. Simon is a 2/3 and Clark is a 3. They need real big guys, not some experiment with undersized, out of position players.

Everything you wrote is completely false. Clark is a PF that can shoot. A prototypical SF is Trevon Bluiett. Clark doesn't have close to the handle required to effectively man the position full time. Nova plays guys like Bridges and Divencenzo at the three not Paschall or Clark types.

Simon is 6'5 215 with a 7'3 wingspan. He was our best post defender this season and BY FAR our best rebounder. If our biggest fault is Simon rebounding then we are in the Final Four next year. We led the country in rebounding with 6'4 Anthony Glover playing center and 6'7 Kyle Cuffe playing PF and 6'8 Emanuel coming off the bench. I think we can be fine with 6'5 225 and 6'7 240 with 6'9 240 and a 6'9-6'11 grad transfer giving minutes.

And regarding defending Simon on the perimeter, if you don't stop a guy's drive early you are left with two options:  try to take a charge or go for a late block. Any coach in the country would gladly accept the defense trying either all game.

Marillac

« Reply #681 on: March 28, 2018, 05:05:30 PM »
Marillac-you seem to really love small and I mean small line-ups. Me thinks you would love us to recruit a team of vertically challenged people. Is your favorite actor Peter Dinklage by any chance?

It is his way of taking a shot at Simon. Simon is not a good shooter and is to prone but is perfectly fine as a secondary or co ball handler. As point forward he would be fine from 3 spot. Under no circumstance will he or should he play the four.

If there is one thing I've been consistent about for a decade, it's going small by playing unskilled guys at the four and five instead of the two or three. Simon needs to play in the post or high post offensively when he doesn't have the ball due to his limited skill set. Let him get his drives against a PF instead of a wing. This also opens up the basket area for him and offensive rebounds by others. We can't space the floor if Simon is going to line on the perimeter.

Limited skill set???
You are crazy!

He dribbles the ball to his chin, he stiff arms his jumpers, and he can't reproduce any of his mechanics for any skill consistently.  He is a world class athlete with insanely long arms and that length drastically slows down his ability to acquire skills. This is what makes teaching bigs so much harder than smaller players. Maybe by his senior year he will have his skills reach an acceptable level. As soon as he can wipe his ass without falling over he will be an NBA draft pick.

Johnny23

« Reply #682 on: March 28, 2018, 05:44:39 PM »

And let me ask you this, who helps on a play where Simon drives to the basket defended by a four when Clark playing the five sets the screen and has to be kept within an arm's length because he shoots so well from deep? Is a guard going to leave Ponds? That's checkmate.

And what happens when Simon has to go up against 6'8 and 6'9 guys constantly? He will get his shit owned all day. Are you being serious with this stuff? It's so f'ing outlandish not sure if you are. No real 4 is going to guard Simon that far away from the basket anyway. He can't shoot a jumper to save his life. Not to mention real PF's would own the glass on him all day and post him up all day due to his height. Clark is a prototypical 3 in a PF's body. Simon is a 2/3 and Clark is a 3. They need real big guys, not some experiment with undersized, out of position players.

Everything you wrote is completely false. Clark is a PF that can shoot. A prototypical SF is Trevon Bluiett. Clark doesn't have close to the handle required to effectively man the position full time. Nova plays guys like Bridges and Divencenzo at the three not Paschall or Clark types.

Simon is 6'5 215 with a 7'3 wingspan. He was our best post defender this season and BY FAR our best rebounder. If our biggest fault is Simon rebounding then we are in the Final Four next year. We led the country in rebounding with 6'4 Anthony Glover playing center and 6'7 Kyle Cuffe playing PF and 6'8 Emanuel coming off the bench. I think we can be fine with 6'5 225 and 6'7 240 with 6'9 240 and a 6'9-6'11 grad transfer giving minutes.

And regarding defending Simon on the perimeter, if you don't stop a guy's drive early you are left with two options:  try to take a charge or go for a late block. Any coach in the country would gladly accept the defense trying either all game.

Must be watching two different teams. Don't know where to begin so I won't. Final Four? Try more like just praying to be a bubble team by March.

« Reply #683 on: March 28, 2018, 07:47:59 PM »

If Simon doesn’t have the ball, where do you want him on the court?

If we have another shooter on the floor, 2 or 3 depending where other shooter is playing.

Don’t mean positions. Meant literally. Where on the floor do you want him?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

ras

« Reply #684 on: March 28, 2018, 07:48:26 PM »
First I thought Marillac was crazy suggesting Simon play the 4. But, if you look at Simons skill set and use Dom as an example at the 4, he may be onto something. If we don’t get a grad transfer big, Mullin might have to play him at the 4.

« Reply #685 on: March 28, 2018, 08:14:11 PM »
First I thought Marillac was crazy suggesting Simon play the 4. But, if you look at Simons skill set and use Dom as an example at the 4, he may be onto something. If we don’t get a grad transfer big, Mullin might have to play him at the 4.
Not "may be ONTO something" more like ON something.  :) I can see some minutes at the four but not nearly exclusively especially against legitimate teams.

Marillac

« Reply #686 on: March 28, 2018, 08:56:58 PM »
Not "may be ONTO something" more like ON something.  :) I can see some minutes at the four but not nearly exclusively especially against legitimate teams.

I think it's fairly obvious. Only WASJU and three other posters think Simon can handle like a true guard. His shooting is just ugly (but his jump shot selection is exceptional).  His passing is the skill that developed to compensate for his other shortcomings -- like a blind guy with awesome hearing.

How many nasty scoring PFs are there these days with the one and dones and evolution of the game to guys like Durant and the Greek Freak? All these patsies want to face up or shoot bombs. That plays right into Simon. We could switch all five spots. And I dare you to float it over Simon fronting in the post with his ups and 7'3 wing span. The kid averaged six defensive rebounds a game from the guard and wing spots. That's crazy.

Creighton played 6'7 195 Ronnie Harrell at PF and even had him guard Owens against us so they could switch all ball screens.

Paschall-Harrell-Sonago-Wideman-McCallum-Derrickson-Hauser-Sanogo These guys are all 6'6-6'8 and have limited skills inside. None have Simon's wingspan and only a few are heavier.

And please explain to me the big difference between the 3 and 4 in a 2-3 zone? There isn't one.

« Reply #687 on: March 28, 2018, 08:59:12 PM »
Olive Oil could guard Tariq Owens.

« Reply #688 on: March 28, 2018, 11:22:21 PM »

I think it's fairly obvious. Only WASJU and three other posters think Simon can handle like a true guard. His shooting is just ugly (but his jump shot selection is exceptional).  His passing is the skill that developed to compensate for his other shortcomings -- like a blind guy with awesome hearing.

How many nasty scoring PFs are there these days with the one and dones and evolution of the game to guys like Durant and the Greek Freak? All these patsies want to face up or shoot bombs. That plays right into Simon. We could switch all five spots. And I dare you to float it over Simon fronting in the post with his ups and 7'3 wing span. The kid averaged six defensive rebounds a game from the guard and wing spots. That's crazy.

Creighton played 6'7 195 Ronnie Harrell at PF and even had him guard Owens against us so they could switch all ball screens.

Paschall-Harrell-Sonago-Wideman-McCallum-Derrickson-Hauser-Sanogo These guys are all 6'6-6'8 and have limited skills inside. None have Simon's wingspan and only a few are heavier.

And please explain to me the big difference between the 3 and 4 in a 2-3 zone? There isn't one.

Trying too hard.

pmg911

« Reply #689 on: March 29, 2018, 10:38:11 AM »
I find it a little comical that everyone on this board seems to think/hear they know what Mullin is doing or not doing on the recruiting front. This is a man who keeps everything he does incredibly close to the vest and doesn't even have extensive conversations with his close friends about what is going on with the program.

Matt A - while I am not his biggest fan,  he does work hard on recruiting....     but I also think he loves whispering things to certain media members..   good & bad...   while I don't think he is leaving, it would not shock me at all if he does...

People will speculate and offer opinions but the one thing I have clearly learned in the last few years of SJU hoops, there is NO ONE on this board with real insider information.

« Reply #690 on: March 29, 2018, 12:47:50 PM »
I find it a little comical that everyone on this board seems to think/hear they know what Mullin is doing or not doing on the recruiting front. This is a man who keeps everything he does incredibly close to the vest and doesn't even have extensive conversations with his close friends about what is going on with the program.

Matt A - while I am not his biggest fan,  he does work hard on recruiting....     but I also think he loves whispering things to certain media members..   good & bad...   while I don't think he is leaving, it would not shock me at all if he does...

People will speculate and offer opinions but the one thing I have clearly learned in the last few years of SJU hoops, there is NO ONE on this board with real insider information.

Some people do speculate and offer opinions.  Even the people you claim do not have "real insider information" occasionally will do some speculation and offer opinions.  But, if you truly believe no one has any "real inside info" or hasn't gotten any "real inside info" in the past few years, then you're fooling yourself. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #691 on: March 29, 2018, 01:13:46 PM »
Players don't go to Duke because of Jeff Capel, and they didn't go to Kentucky because of Slice. They damn sure don't go to Kansas because of Norm Roberts! Bottom line is Mullin needs to get off his ass and recruit! When you are building a program from the bottom up, its the head coach that does the heavy lifting and closes the deal. Not the assistant. When Lavin first took over the program he was on the road recruiting and he closed the deal!

We need a head coach who can recruit first and coach second. Mullin isn't doing either! Why didn't we go after Dan Hurley? 

Foad

« Reply #692 on: March 29, 2018, 01:24:16 PM »
He can't shoot a jumper to save his life.

For the record he was the leading 3-point shooter on the team. Three more makes than Lovett in the same amount of attempts. His shot is ugly and maybe that's an unrepresentative sample size, but there's some evidence that he can shoot a jumper to save his life and none that he can't.

Poison

« Reply #693 on: March 29, 2018, 01:37:33 PM »

For the record he was the leading 3-point shooter on the team. Three more makes than Lovett in the same amount of attempts. His shot is ugly and maybe that's an unrepresentative sample size, but there's some evidence that he can shoot a jumper to save his life and none that he can't.

Ian Happ leads baseball in home runs. That doesn't make him the best home run hitter in the game.

Foad

« Reply #694 on: March 29, 2018, 01:56:52 PM »

Ian Happ leads baseball in home runs. That doesn't make him the best home run hitter in the game.

Did I say Justin Simon was the best jumper shooter in the game? In Division 1? On the team? No. I said there's ample evidence that he can make a jump shot.

Are you really this dumb or is it just an act?

Poison

« Reply #695 on: March 29, 2018, 02:26:03 PM »

Did I say Justin Simon was the best jumper shooter in the game? In Division 1? On the team? No. I said there's ample evidence that he can make a jump shot.

Are you really this dumb or is it just an act?

Your points make everyone dumber.