Matt A

• 695 replies

QuanMan

Re: Matt A
« Reply #660 on: March 28, 2018, 11:47:11 AM »
If anyone's ruling out a monster class this Spring Signing Period when the program needs it most I think you're grossly underestimating Mullin as a competitor and Abs' ability in the transfer market. Next season is too important, if anyone knows it, it's this staff. You don't think that they knew that Tariq could leave this offseason? There were rumblings on this very board throughout Dec-Feb.

As fans we all get the news either hours before or as it happens. The staff with their backs against the wall know what they're up against at this very moment, what they need heading into the Summer and what their plan of attack is over the next two months.

Like I've been saying, Tariq is replaceable 10x over with the 10-20 other grad transfer bigs that will be on the market. He wasn't a program changing talent and his void isn't that big. Neither will Yakwe or Bryan be should they be shown the door at semester's end.

The idea that there is complete unrest and a lack of grip over this program isn't believable on my end. I still trust Chris, his market value and basketball acumen. I'll say otherwise if it's July 4th and the frontline is still barren and we don't have a backup SF, but I won't bet on it.   
Assume CM out West looking at Brown?
https://twitter.com/scottagness/status/978830214406004736?s=21

Brown is in Atlanta tonight for the All-American game. Once the live period starts I expect Chris, Matt and hopefully a new staff member to be all over the country up until May 17th @11:59P.
Section 3
Section 116

paultzman

« Reply #661 on: March 28, 2018, 11:49:06 AM »
If anyone's ruling out a monster class this Spring Signing Period when the program needs it most I think you're grossly underestimating Mullin as a competitor and Abs' ability in the transfer market. Next season is too important, if anyone knows it, it's this staff. You don't think that they knew that Tariq could leave this offseason? There were rumblings on this very board throughout Dec-Feb.

As fans we all get the news either hours before or as it happens. The staff with their backs against the wall know what they're up against at this very moment, what they need heading into the Summer and what their plan of attack is over the next two months.

Like I've been saying, Tariq is replaceable 10x over with the 10-20 other grad transfer bigs that will be on the market. He wasn't a program changing talent and his void isn't that big. Neither will Yakwe or Bryan be should they be shown the door at semester's end.

The idea that there is complete unrest and a lack of grip over this program isn't believable on my end. I still trust Chris, his market value and basketball acumen. I'll say otherwise if it's July 4th and the frontline is still barren and we don't have a backup SF, but I won't bet on it.   
Assume CM out West looking at Brown?
https://twitter.com/scottagness/status/978830214406004736?s=21

Brown is in Atlanta tonight for the All-American game. Once the live period starts I expect Chris, Matt and hopefully a new staff member to be all over the country up until May 17th @11:59P.
Agree, but doubt there is a new staff member.

Poison

« Reply #662 on: March 28, 2018, 11:53:51 AM »
Lavin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Norm>>>>>>Mullin

Norm isn't better than anyone.

If he's not better then they're tied. SJU undoubtedly made a mistake choosing Mullin over Lavin, and an even bigger mistake choosing Mullin over Hurley. Just sucks now we have to wait for inevitable disappointment, and despair before Mullin either steps down or is fired. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after the Nova and Duke wins, but the fact that he's not out busting his ass recruiting just shows me he's not only too incompetent but too arrogant as well.

All that matters to me is tourney appearances and when we make it next year Mullin will have made as many tourney's in 4 years as Lavin did.
4/14 9th place season is the same as winning 20 games and being a bubble team. Great argument

Also, it doesn't look likely that we make the tournament next year. Essentially the same team with a couple new hopefully rotation players, and we lose our best big man and 3rd leading scorer.

We return an All-American who will be an upperclassman for the first time. He learned to carry the team in the second half. We make the tournament if the other guys can just play even or close to it. Keita, Dixon, Williams, and a grad transfer will give this team an entirely different look.

Two things: First, we hope to return an All American. Just like he surprised the college basketball world, he could surprise the NBA, too. Second, Shamorie didn't learn to carry a team. He was injured in the Providence game, and when he healed up, he started playing like a beast. He carried the team in November and December, too.

We need a grad transfer big, and we need another big as well. If we land a grad transfer, and he gets hurt, or Keita gets hurt, we're back where we started last year.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:00:45 PM by Poison »

SJUFAN

« Reply #663 on: March 28, 2018, 12:12:53 PM »

Tariq is replaceable but the question is will Matt be able to do it? Its unfortunate that the entire recruiting process rest on his shoulders. The entire staff needs to be out recruiting, Mullin, Mitch and St. Jean needs to be hitting the trail hard. Until they actually replace Tariq with a better option, his lost hurts. 

Johnny23

« Reply #664 on: March 28, 2018, 12:13:57 PM »
It is imperative that we get two bigs for next year. Bigs get gassed very quickly especially playing in Mullin's style where he wants to run n gun. This creates foul trouble when big guys start reaching because they are tired and then we are playing shorthanded just like we did this entire season. You have to have a plethora of big bodies to rotate in the game to keep guys fresh and cut down on lazy fouls not to mention rebounding and all the other aspects.

« Reply #665 on: March 28, 2018, 12:17:07 PM »

Tariq is replaceable but the question is will Matt be able to do it? Its unfortunate that the entire recruiting process rest on his shoulders. The entire staff needs to be out recruiting, Mullin, Mitch and St. Jean needs to be hitting the trail hard. Until they actually replace Tariq with a better option, his lost hurts. 

With all the attention on transfers, and with only one dedicated recruiter on staff, is 2019 high school recruiting suffering?  Can anyone name one HS senior with whom we are in good position?

MCNPA

« Reply #666 on: March 28, 2018, 01:12:53 PM »

If he's not better then they're tied. SJU undoubtedly made a mistake choosing Mullin over Lavin, and an even bigger mistake choosing Mullin over Hurley. Just sucks now we have to wait for inevitable disappointment, and despair before Mullin either steps down or is fired. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after the Nova and Duke wins, but the fact that he's not out busting his ass recruiting just shows me he's not only too incompetent but too arrogant as well.

All that matters to me is tourney appearances and when we make it next year Mullin will have made as many tourney's in 4 years as Lavin did.
4/14 9th place season is the same as winning 20 games and being a bubble team. Great argument

Also, it doesn't look likely that we make the tournament next year. Essentially the same team with a couple new hopefully rotation players, and we lose our best big man and 3rd leading scorer.

We return an All-American who will be an upperclassman for the first time. He learned to carry the team in the second half. We make the tournament if the other guys can just play even or close to it. Keita, Dixon, Williams, and a grad transfer will give this team an entirely different look.

Two things: First, we hope to return an All American. Just like he surprised the college basketball world, he could surprise the NBA, too. Second, Shamorie didn't learn to carry a team. He was injured in the Providence game, and when he healed up, he started playing like a beast. He carried the team in November and December, too.

We need a grad transfer big, and we need another big as well. If we land a grad transfer, and he gets hurt, or Keita gets hurt, we're back where we started last year.

Don’t forget, we also have Josh Roberts coming in.  He may be raw but a big nonetheless.  I’d like to add a grad transfer big for sure and maybe another scoring forward of some type.  That said, the staff needs to start landing some high school kids too.  We need another recruiter on staff badly. Talent wins ballgames. Get a proper AHC in here already!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 01:14:22 PM by MCNPA »

Marillac

« Reply #667 on: March 28, 2018, 01:32:22 PM »

The statement that Ponds learned to carry the team later in the year is not susceptible to reasonable debate. He went From a huge piece to Hattenesque and the stats, record, and national recognition support that.

I'd like two big men as well, but one solid big would be enough for me if they also got a pure PG. if anyone can score with their back to the basket and command a double-team down low, that enhanced floor spacing could add five wins.

I think our best lineup against most teams will actually Williams-Simon-Clark at the 3-4-5. Simon will be a killer inside.

« Reply #668 on: March 28, 2018, 02:31:26 PM »
Marillac-you seem to really love small and I mean small line-ups. Me thinks you would love us to recruit a team of vertically challenged people. Is your favorite actor Peter Dinklage by any chance?

Johnny23

« Reply #669 on: March 28, 2018, 02:37:18 PM »
Marillac-you seem to really love small and I mean small line-ups. Me thinks you would love us to recruit a team of vertically challenged people. Is your favorite actor Peter Dinklage by any chance?

;D Seriously, I saw that 6'4, 6'5, 6'7 lineup and thought he was talking about a HS team.

« Reply #670 on: March 28, 2018, 02:42:19 PM »

;D Seriously, I saw that 6'4, 6'5, 6'7 lineup and thought he was talking about a HS team.
[/quote

and actually Williams may only be 6'2-3 and Clark more like 6'5 or tops 6'6 who doesn't rebound. We were crushed on the boards all year and I thought Marillac like myself likes strong rebounding teams so I just don't get it and it's not like his small front line is made up of great outside shooters although Clark is good.

Johnny23

« Reply #671 on: March 28, 2018, 02:48:14 PM »

[/quote

and actually Williams may only be 6'2-3 and Clark more like 6'5 or tops 6'6 who doesn't rebound. We were crushed on the boards all year and I thought Marillac like myself likes strong rebounding teams so I just don't get it and it's not like his small front line is made up of great outside shooters although Clark is good.

True. Not sure how anyone can honestly say we don't need more size and rebounding as we were owned all season on the glass. Also a guy like Roberts looks like a project who will take a year or two to develop so Keita is the only true big we have now which is not a good situation.

« Reply #672 on: March 28, 2018, 02:48:53 PM »

It is his way of taking a shot at Simon. Simon is not a good shooter and is to prone but is perfectly fine as a secondary or co ball handler. As point forward he would be fine from 3 spot. Under no circumstance will he or should he play the four.

« Reply #673 on: March 28, 2018, 03:09:23 PM »

It is his way of taking a shot at Simon. Simon is not a good shooter and is to prone but is perfectly fine as a secondary or co ball handler. As point forward he would be fine from 3 spot. Under no circumstance will he or should he play the four.

If Simon doesn’t have the ball, where do you want him on the court?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #674 on: March 28, 2018, 03:11:26 PM »

My favorite character on G.O.T by a wide margin is in fact Tyrion.  I like putting the best five on the floor. I posted for three years that Dom should be playing PF and C and we probably missed out on two tournaments because Lavin played him at SF. I feel the same way about Simon except I think he is far better suited to play down low than Dom was. Clark played the five in an Elite Eight run by Michigan State and held his own. Now he shoots 40% + from three and can take bigger defenders off the bounce.

Smaller lineups will tire opposing big men or get them in foul trouble. Who would you rather defend Simon or Clark , Mikal Bridges or Paschall/Spellman? EasY answer. Zone us to stop Ponds? 5 guys that can hit the open three and 3-4 good shooters.

Marillac

« Reply #675 on: March 28, 2018, 03:18:44 PM »

If there is one thing I've been consistent about for a decade, it's going small by playing unskilled guys at the four and five instead of the two or three. Simon needs to play in the post or high post offensively when he doesn't have the ball due to his limited skill set. Let him get his drives against a PF instead of a wing. This also opens up the basket area for him and offensive rebounds by others. We can't space the floor if Simon is going to line on the perimeter.

Marillac

« Reply #676 on: March 28, 2018, 03:28:41 PM »

And let me ask you this, who helps on a play where Simon drives to the basket defended by a four when Clark playing the five sets the screen and has to be kept within an arm's length because he shoots so well from deep? Is a guard going to leave Ponds? That's checkmate.

« Reply #677 on: March 28, 2018, 03:29:04 PM »

If Simon doesn’t have the ball, where do you want him on the court?

If we have another shooter on the floor, 2 or 3 depending where other shooter is playing.

« Reply #678 on: March 28, 2018, 03:29:59 PM »

If there is one thing I've been consistent about for a decade, it's going small by playing unskilled guys at the four and five instead of the two or three. Simon needs to play in the post or high post offensively when he doesn't have the ball due to his limited skill set. Let him get his drives against a PF instead of a wing. This also opens up the basket area for him and offensive rebounds by others. We can't space the floor if Simon is going to line on the perimeter.

Limited skill set???
You are crazy!

Johnny23

« Reply #679 on: March 28, 2018, 03:36:32 PM »

And let me ask you this, who helps on a play where Simon drives to the basket defended by a four when Clark playing the five sets the screen and has to be kept within an arm's length because he shoots so well from deep? Is a guard going to leave Ponds? That's checkmate.

And what happens when Simon has to go up against 6'8 and 6'9 guys constantly? He will get his shit owned all day. Are you being serious with this stuff? It's so f'ing outlandish not sure if you are. No real 4 is going to guard Simon that far away from the basket anyway. He can't shoot a jumper to save his life. Not to mention real PF's would own the glass on him all day and post him up all day due to his height. Clark is a prototypical 3 in a PF's body. Simon is a 2/3 and Clark is a 3. They need real big guys, not some experiment with undersized, out of position players.