Transfer wish list

• 411 replies

MCNPA

Re: Transfer wish list
« Reply #320 on: May 01, 2017, 06:14:06 PM »
Surprised by the negativity on this board.  Kante is at best a 3 star; he is not going to change the arc of this program.  Would still like to add him if he wants to be here, but if not we will move forward with someone else.

This team, as presently constituted, is at least 5 wins better than last year's team.  Freudenberg gave us nothing, Ellison made most of us crazy for all but a few games of his time here, and Williams surprised us because he made it onto the court when we considered him a medical write off.  Simon and Clark will more than make up for the loss of Ellison and Williams -- they are the primary reasons why those two decided to seek opportunities elsewhere, and our freshmen backcourt will be sophomores and among the best in the Big East.  Owens and Yakwe will both be a year older and improved.  In addition, people will still be added for next season, including an eligible big or two to step in immediately.  This roster is not finished yet.  Our staff sees everything that we see and is more than aware of what it will take to win next year in the Big East.

As constituted, we are short two PF's and our frontcourt was rough last year.  We lost interior players, and haven't replaced any.  It's real poor imo that we can't land anybody.  We desperately need PF/c's of some type to have this team do anything next year or we will be killed once again on the interior.  I can't figure out how we couldn't grab a serviceable big body or two.  I'm not even talking studs here.  At this point, without having replaced him, losing Williams is a huge loss. 
When even MCNPA is being negative you really know we's in trouble.

This is true. He was excited when Lenny Cooke and Darius Miles opted out, because it freed up a couple of scholarships.

Forget Cooke and miles...  I'd take an Aaron Spears for one season.  Just one big man.. too much to ask?

Foad

« Reply #322 on: May 01, 2017, 08:51:29 PM »
Surprised by the negativity on this board.  Kante is at best a 3 star; he is not going to change the arc of this program.  Would still like to add him if he wants to be here, but if not we will move forward with someone else.

This team, as presently constituted, is at least 5 wins better than last year's team.  Freudenberg gave us nothing, Ellison made most of us crazy for all but a few games of his time here, and Williams surprised us because he made it onto the court when we considered him a medical write off.  Simon and Clark will more than make up for the loss of Ellison and Williams -- they are the primary reasons why those two decided to seek opportunities elsewhere, and our freshmen backcourt will be sophomores and among the best in the Big East.  Owens and Yakwe will both be a year older and improved.  In addition, people will still be added for next season, including an eligible big or two to step in immediately.  This roster is not finished yet.  Our staff sees everything that we see and is more than aware of what it will take to win next year in the Big East.

As constituted, we are short two PF's and our frontcourt was rough last year.  We lost interior players, and haven't replaced any.  It's real poor imo that we can't land anybody.  We desperately need PF/c's of some type to have this team do anything next year or we will be killed once again on the interior.  I can't figure out how we couldn't grab a serviceable big body or two.  I'm not even talking studs here.  At this point, without having replaced him, losing Williams is a huge loss. 

This is true. He was excited when Lenny Cooke and Darius Miles opted out, because it freed up a couple of scholarships.

Forget Cooke and miles...  I'd take an Aaron Spears for one season.  Just one big man.. too much to ask?

That depends on what you're asking for. There's not a basketball team in the history of basketball teams that was an Aaron Spears away from contending for anything.

This is how the minutes will be distributed next year

Ponds - 30 minutes
Lovett - 30 minutes

Simon - 25 minutes
Ahmed - 25 minutes
Clark - 25 minutes

Yawke - 20 minutes
Owens - 20 minutes

= 175 minutes

If Missini plays 15 that'd leave 10 minutes for Aaron Spears II.

If Simon and Clark don't stink and Yakwe and Owens take a step forward the team will be pretty good. If that doesn't happen the team will not be pretty good and no graduate transfer from LIU or Quinnipiac or wherever would make any difference. A big body would have been nice and personally I'd have been happy with the JUCO stiff and he probably stinks. But success next year is going to depend on the seven guys up there ^^^^ playing well and if they don't know one short of Walter Berry would make any difference.

Marillac

« Reply #323 on: May 02, 2017, 10:59:34 AM »

That depends on what you're asking for. There's not a basketball team in the history of basketball teams that was an Aaron Spears away from contending for anything.

Ponds - 30 minutes
Lovett - 30 minutes

Simon - 25 minutes
Ahmed - 25 minutes
Clark - 25 minutes

Yawke - 20 minutes
Owens - 20 minutes

= 175 minutes

If Simon and Clark don't stink and Yakwe and Owens take a step forward the team will be pretty good. If that doesn't happen the team will not be pretty good and no graduate transfer from LIU or Quinnipiac or wherever would make any difference. A big body would have been nice and personally I'd have been happy with the JUCO stiff and he probably stinks. But success next year is going to depend on the seven guys up there ^^^^ playing well and if they don't know one short of Walter Berry would make any difference.

If Owens can only stay on the court for 20 mpg, we are screwed unless the staff goes to a zone.

« Reply #324 on: May 02, 2017, 11:45:22 AM »
We have a big that we're not discussing.

It's going to be Da Ali B show in 17/18.  The senior stretch four/five everybody loves to hate
will have a large role on next year's model.

« Reply #325 on: May 02, 2017, 11:49:53 AM »
Are we sure he's not waiting for grades to be sure he has grad status and then planning a move?

« Reply #326 on: May 02, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »

It's going to be Da Ali B show in 17/18.  The senior stretch four/five everybody loves to hate

Amar might be the starting center

ras

« Reply #327 on: May 02, 2017, 12:12:18 PM »

Ponds - 30 minutes
Lovett - 30 minutes

Simon - 25 minutes
Ahmed - 25 minutes
Clark - 25 minutes

Yawke - 20 minutes
Owens - 20 minutes

= 175 minutes

If Owens can only stay on the court for 20 mpg, we are screwed unless the staff goes to a zone.

Gotta figure w more weight and exp, he should be able to give us more time on the court.

Tha Kid

« Reply #328 on: May 02, 2017, 12:21:46 PM »

Now you are getting a little out of control.  Remember Owens?
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #329 on: May 02, 2017, 12:38:42 PM »

Now you are getting a little out of control.  Remember Owens?

Ya but since our guards play no defense,  he can't start. At this point, Amar might be a better option than Yakwe

« Reply #330 on: May 02, 2017, 01:14:58 PM »

I don't know about Aaron Spears, but I see where you're coming from. Hard to believe the staff could not find one serviceable player who is 6'8''+ and could contribute some minutes in the paint given the obvious need. You see them on most teams we play.  If it's a 1 year transfer, I think a big body, 5 fouls and a couple rebounds for 10-15 min a game would make a difference.

Foad

« Reply #331 on: May 02, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »

Ponds - 30 minutes
Lovett - 30 minutes

Simon - 25 minutes
Ahmed - 25 minutes
Clark - 25 minutes

Yawke - 20 minutes
Owens - 20 minutes

= 175 minutes

The point is that there aren't that many minutes available for Aaron Spears the second. They'd have to bring someone in who's going to be better than the junior version of Yakwe. Which a grad transfer might be but a freshman is unlikely to be.

paultzman

« Reply #332 on: May 02, 2017, 02:18:16 PM »
Per Jeff Goodman
Kansas has landed William & Mary grad transfer Jack Whitman, source told ESPN. Averaged 10 and 5 this past season.

Foad

« Reply #333 on: May 02, 2017, 02:39:03 PM »
Per Jeff Goodman
Kansas has landed William & Mary grad transfer Jack Whitman, source told ESPN. Averaged 10 and 5 this past season.

Congratulations Norm.

« Reply #334 on: May 02, 2017, 02:44:39 PM »
Per Jeff Goodman

Congratulations Norm.
Probably did it just to make sure we didn't get him.

« Reply #335 on: May 02, 2017, 03:29:14 PM »
Majority of the 5th year transfers look for a chance to play in the tournament. I guess they don't see that happening at St. Johns

« Reply #336 on: May 02, 2017, 04:55:31 PM »
Majority of the 5th year transfers look for a chance to play in the tournament. I guess they don't see that happening at St. Johns

Ya think?

« Reply #337 on: May 02, 2017, 05:01:41 PM »

Ya think?

Lol. Just have to point it out to some of the delusional

« Reply #338 on: May 02, 2017, 06:48:26 PM »

« Reply #339 on: May 02, 2017, 06:54:53 PM »

Ya think?

Lol. Just have to point it out to some of the delusional

Lol. Everybody gets your opinion at this point. It's repeated on every thread.