Ewing

• 34 replies
Ewing
« on: April 03, 2017, 02:26:11 PM »
Per Casual Hoya Georgetown has Hired Ewing as coach, Will be interesting battles with Mullin

Dan

Re: Ewing
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 06:08:17 PM »
Mullin/Ewing will be fun

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 06:36:15 PM »
Mullin/Ewing will be fun
Be even more fun if Chris has assistants, and players, that can help with defense.

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 06:42:35 PM »
Mullin/Ewing will be fun

If we're competing for something or both teams are competing for something, then it does have the potential to be fun.  Otherwise, if we're not competing for anything or both of us are the dregs of the conference, then there's nothing fun about it.  Of course, I always thoroughly enjoy beating the Hoyas, but competing and winning overall is fun.

I'm old enough to recall many of our games versus those Ewing/Georgetown teams.  It's cool to relive and talk about many of those games every now and again, but the 80's are long gone.  It's time to have to something to talk about going forward.

ras

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 06:51:51 PM »
Mullin/Ewing will be fun

If we're competing for something or both teams are competing for something, then it does have the potential to be fun.  Otherwise, if we're not competing for anything or both of us are the dregs of the conference, then there's nothing fun about it.  Of course, I always thoroughly enjoy beating the Hoyas, but competing and winning overall is fun.

I'm old enough to recall many of our games versus those Ewing/Georgetown teams.  It's cool to relive and talk about many of those games every now and again, but the 80's are long gone.  It's time to have to something to talk about going forward.
I agree. I would like both programs to be perineal top 25, so the rivalry really means something, instead of who will finish 8 th in the conference.

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 06:59:13 PM »
Mullin/Ewing will be fun

I agree. I would like both programs to be perineal top 25, so the rivalry really means something, instead of who will finish 8 th in the conference.

Yes, if we're both perennial top 25 teams, then it would make it fun.  It'll add some spice and intrigue to our games.  Frankly, I don't care if they stink it up for years on end and we're the perennial top 25 team.  That's still fun for me.  Haha!

NYCoffey

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 07:01:15 PM »
At least the Refs will give us some calls against Gtown next year. Mullin isn't the junior coach in the BE anymore. They will suck like Mullin's first year but I'm sure he will bring a recruiter with him. Hope it goes well.

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 07:17:16 PM »
Bottom line is nostalgia or not no one will care about either if they don't win.

The thinking is similar,  since both are inextricably linked to both programs and care deeply about the future of each program both will do everything humanly possible to succeed and neither has an eye somewhere else.

ras

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 07:36:54 PM »
Mullin/Ewing will be fun

Yes, if we're both perennial top 25 teams, then it would make it fun.  It'll add some spice and intrigue to our games.  Frankly, I don't care if they stink it up for years on end and we're the perennial top 25 team.  That's still fun for me.  Haha!
Can't argue w your logic.

Foad

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 08:02:32 PM »
I would like both programs to be perineal

Taint happening.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 08:36:21 PM »
This is great.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

QuanMan

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 09:01:36 PM »
Bottom line is nostalgia or not no one will care about either if they don't win.

The thinking is similar,  since both are inextricably linked to both programs and care deeply about the future of each program both will do everything humanly possible to succeed and neither has an eye somewhere else.

Agreed Fordham. The Ewing hire has indirectly amplified the pressure on Mullin to dismiss this 'failure to rebuild the nostalgia of the BE' storyline. We as fans will reap the benefits bc Mullin is a fierce competitor and will stop at nothing to silence the critics. The infamous Jeff Goodman, Bill Simmons, and local writer Josh Newman all mocked the Big East nostalgia theme on Twitter today. The knocks will continue until both programs get back to a elite level. I'm rooting for Ewing and look forward to the Garden sellouts w he and Mullin patrolling the sidelines in the years to come.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »
Unfortunately I think what it will be is a nice distraction for ST John's and Georgetown fans. Makes sense if if both programs continue to stink there won't be as much anger at the program that there normally would be.

I do think we will be tourney contenders for the next couple years but beyond that I question if this transfer route will be able to sustain any long term success.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 09:52:41 AM by we are sju »

Poison

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 09:59:05 AM »
who does Ewing have? Govan? Who else?

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 11:01:51 AM »

Mosley and Derrickson. Who knows if they leave or not though.

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 11:31:18 AM »
I question if this transfer route will be able to sustain any long term success.

I recently told a fellow fan the same thing. 

paultzman

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 11:41:40 AM »
I question if this transfer route will be able to sustain any long term success.

I recently told a fellow fan the same thing. 

Agree & 18 class results will be telling.

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 11:48:31 AM »

Mosley and Derrickson. Who knows if they leave or not though.

Ewing might  actually save Govans career. So soft
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 11:49:30 AM by Marco Baldi »

QuanMan

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 12:34:21 PM »

Agreed Fordham. The Ewing hire has indirectly amplified the pressure on Mullin to dismiss this 'failure to rebuild the nostalgia of the BE' storyline. We as fans will reap the benefits bc Mullin is a fierce competitor and will stop at nothing to silence the critics. The infamous Jeff Goodman, Bill Simmons, and local writer Josh Newman all mocked the Big East nostalgia theme on Twitter today. The knocks will continue until both programs get back to a elite level. I'm rooting for Ewing and look forward to the Garden sellouts w he and Mullin patrolling the sidelines in the years to come.

Another example of the indirect pressure that has been amplified on Mullin with this hire-

Adam Wexler‏
@awexlerKPRC

Follow
 More
Max Kellerman on Patrick Ewing to Georgetown,"How'd that workout when St. John's went to Chris Mullin or when Drexler went to Houston." geez
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 01:09:50 PM »

Another example of the indirect pressure that has been amplified on Mullin with this hire-

Adam Wexler‏
@awexlerKPRC

Follow
 More
Max Kellerman on Patrick Ewing to Georgetown,"How'd that workout when St. John's went to Chris Mullin or when Drexler went to Houston." geez

Just on records pretty close
Drexler-19-39 (327)
Mullin22-43 (338)