Vince Cole

• 37 replies
Re: Vince Cole
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 02:15:21 PM »
He appears kinda lean in the picture.

I hope he has some Gervin in him or at least a little Orr.

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2020, 02:32:34 PM »
We need someone that can keep the defense honest with Lj gone.

Imagine if Caraher could hit the 3 consistently. 

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2020, 03:11:04 PM »
Any of those guys come across as consistent and sufficient scorers? Look at their numbers. They're very up and down.

Champaigne was more a product of the game. He got loose balls, rebounds, and hit the occasional jumper. He wasn't creating his own shot very often.

Dunn was very inconsistent, his jumper is below average and shouldn't be the top scoring option on a good BE team.

Earlington is also similar to Champaigne in how he gets his points. We need someone that can keep the defense honest with Lj gone.

What is worrisome is that LJ saw such a huge dip in efficiency as did Mustapha and now we're left with Dunn as probably top scorer who's more of a volume player with lower efficiency for his career.

We are gonna have to be crazy at rebounding because we're not going to be efficient at scoring the ball. Toro is gonna need to transform into Angel Delgado.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2020, 05:35:39 PM »
What is worrisome is that LJ saw such a huge dip in efficiency as did Mustapha and now we're left with Dunn as probably top scorer who's more of a volume player with lower efficiency for his career.

We are gonna have to be crazy at rebounding because we're not going to be efficient at scoring the ball. Toro is gonna need to transform into Angel Delgado.

There are four guys that I’m thinking about who could take a leadership position in scoring. None of them are Dunn.

Posh, Vince, Julian and Marcellus.

Obviously, I can’t speak too much about Posh and Vince outside of the little video I’ve seen. But from that, I think it’s fair to gage that Posh was not ranked where he should have been as a senior. That’s good news for us. Sometimes, you get a 4 star recruit, and it’s Dele Coker. Other times, it can be a pleasant surprise like Marcellus. Could Posh come in and put up 18 a game with 5 assists? I highly doubt it, but you never know.

Cole is the hardest player to figure out. I can see he’ll make some threes, awkward form and all, but Avery Patterson could make wide open threes, too. I think in order to shoulder the loss of LJ, Cole really needs to be better than a guy like Bashir Ahmed.

Marcellus really started to come along last year late. He was clueless on defense for most of the season, but he improved by the end of the season. I think he could be a terrific 6th man and end up playing more minutes than anyone. I could see Marcellus leading us in scoring because he just has such a nose for the ball. His overall scoring game improved immensely as the season wore on. I could see him dropping 15+ and grabbing 7 boards.

Champagnie also finished really strong after his coach benched him in the middle of the season. He’s hitting threes but he’s also going strong to the basket like we’d expect a BE PF to. Very confident and comfortable player under the basket for a freshman. He could absolutely average 15+ next season w 8+ boards.

Long shots, Williams, who at times reminded me of Norm Roberts’ Hot Potato offense where no one wanted to hold onto the ball, but no one wanted to make a good pass either.

Caraher did very little this season, but I think coming from a level that was so much lower required some getting used to. He started to play a little better towards the end. At 25%, he’s not exactly the instant o we want from the bench. But if given time to get comfortable in the different ways he can score, I could see a scenario where he’s a consistent scorer.

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2020, 07:01:19 PM »
Poison, I don’t think there’s anyway freshman posh is a better scorer than senior Dunn.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2020, 07:11:15 PM »
Poison, I don’t think there’s anyway freshman posh is a better scorer than senior Dunn.

There’s a way. While I admire Dunn‘s hard work, I don’t think he’s going to be an effective scorer until he adds a jump shot. He’s a good athlete, and he hustles on defense, but if he’s our leading scorer, we’re in big trouble.

He can potentially be a spark plug scoring guard when other guys struggle, or get into foul trouble.

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2020, 07:18:15 PM »
There’s a way. While I admire Dunn‘s hard work, I don’t think he’s going to be an effective scorer until he adds a jump shot. He’s a good athlete, and he hustles on defense, but if he’s our leading scorer, we’re in big trouble.

He can potentially be a spark plug scoring guard when other guys struggle, or get into foul trouble.

I don’t think Dunn is an efficient scorer. But he is a productive one. I’ve seen a lot of posh and the way he gets his points is in the same vein as Dunn. He’s a little bit better as a shooter but by no means is it a strength.

Forget about Dunn altogether, my bigger point is I don’t think posh should or will be relied on to score this year.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2020, 07:18:31 PM »

Dunn is a scorer. He's not a good shooter but he can create his own, get to the line, and will get out in transition. Scottie Reynolds was a high end version of this too and he was probably a 38% shooter.

Champagnie might be leading scorer of the team next year but I'd imagine we'll have 4 double digit scorers none above 13ppg.

Our path to success is turnovers and transition. Defend and rebound. We're not going to see beautiful half court basketball.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2020, 07:37:35 PM »
Dunn is a scorer. He's not a good shooter but he can create his own, get to the line, and will get out in transition. Scottie Reynolds was a high end version of this too and he was probably a 38% shooter.

Champagnie might be leading scorer of the team next year but I'd imagine we'll have 4 double digit scorers none above 13ppg.

Our path to success is turnovers and transition. Defend and rebound. We're not going to see beautiful half court basketball.

That's what's somewhat worrisome. We need quick hands and athletes. Losing Lj and Rutherford is going to hurt on that end. LJ led the league in steals and was a very disruptive defender with his long arms. Rutherford was tough nosed and didn't back down. He was a pit bull.

Posh is not in that category defensively and he is also very short for the press. I'm not sure about Cole as a defender. Moore needs to step up.

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 10:22:39 PM »
Cole is the hardest player to figure out. I can see he’ll make some threes, awkward form and all, but Avery Patterson could make wide open threes, too.
We would all sign on for Porter hitting 72 three's right out of the gate. But in reality that kind of production out of a newcomer is a pipe dream.

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2020, 01:02:34 PM »
We would all sign on for Porter hitting 72 three's right out of the gate. But in reality that kind of production out of a newcomer is a pipe dream.

He’ll absolutely be in the ballpark of 72 if he’s healthy and plays over 30 games.

jr49

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2020, 09:46:46 PM »
First guy down the court and fastest to a offensive rebound share top spots. Now if we can run halfcourt sets, maybe not. Roberts has a nose for the ball. Maybe 8 a game? Getting t/overs gotta be part of the offence. That is what our coach teaches.

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2020, 01:59:06 AM »
He’ll absolutely be in the ballpark of 72 if he’s healthy and plays over 30 games.
I would be very happy to see that.  Three point shooting was abysmal last season.  I guess one guy could bust out but not convinced it will ever be a strength of a CFC coached team. It's not like he'll have legendary hall of fame shooters Chris and Mitch to develop that aspect of his game.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2020, 09:34:57 AM »

Rasheem Dunn is Colin Charles. We can’t have that be a lead guard. He’s too out of control.

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2020, 09:55:18 AM »
I agree 100% with Poison's comments regarding Dunn. Please don't pass out from shock.

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2020, 10:35:17 AM »
I would be very happy to see that.  Three point shooting was abysmal last season.  I guess one guy could bust out but not convinced it will ever be a strength of a CFC coached team. It's not like he'll have legendary hall of fame shooters Chris and Mitch to develop that aspect of his game.
I see you're doing stand up these days. LOL

Johnny23

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2020, 11:13:17 AM »
We all know Dunn is not a lead or point guard. Thankfully we have Posh and McGriff coming in to handle those duties.

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2020, 12:09:07 AM »
I see you're doing stand up these days. LOL
I'll be here through Friday.  Don't forget to tip your waitresses.