Trust the Process

• 258 replies
Re: Trust the Process
« Reply #240 on: January 09, 2018, 12:04:04 PM »
If Mullin does not work out, no one will be surprised.  It was a gamble and a half, by an administration who saw $$ signs because the face of the program wanted to bring us back to relevancy.  There was little to no search once Mullin wanted to come on board.  Look at the leagues coaching salaries, other than Mullin, only a few other guys make 2 million or more, Cooley and Wright.  If the school is willing to pay Mullin more than 70% of the league, and make him one of the highest paid coaches, then they can figure out a way to bring in a qualified assistant from a top program to become HC at a competitive salary.

And a qualified assistant at a top program will want to come here why?
Not sure school has resources to be competitive in major conference anymore. Which is why they took a gamble on Chris Mullin.

SJU will always be a program that coaches see value in, especially a top assistant.  The school plays in one of the top conferences in the country, plays at the garden(which is still very important), offers a very competitive salary and IMO, next to salary being the most important, we are located in one of the most fertile recruiting territories in the country.   These guys are out there, and we do not need to look further than our own conference to see how they are succeeding. 

LOL

« Reply #241 on: January 09, 2018, 12:18:02 PM »
If Mullin does not work out, no one will be surprised.  It was a gamble and a half, by an administration who saw $$ signs because the face of the program wanted to bring us back to relevancy.  There was little to no search once Mullin wanted to come on board.  Look at the leagues coaching salaries, other than Mullin, only a few other guys make 2 million or more, Cooley and Wright.  If the school is willing to pay Mullin more than 70% of the league, and make him one of the highest paid coaches, then they can figure out a way to bring in a qualified assistant from a top program to become HC at a competitive salary.

Not sure school has resources to be competitive in major conference anymore. Which is why they took a gamble on Chris Mullin.
You claim the posters that are critical are being too negative but we all feel St. John's CAN be very successful. You are the one that is truly negative with your woe is me it's just impossible for us to be successful.

« Reply #242 on: January 09, 2018, 12:21:38 PM »

SJU will always be a program that coaches see value in, especially a top assistant.  The school plays in one of the top conferences in the country, plays at the garden(which is still very important), offers a very competitive salary and IMO, next to salary being the most important, we are located in one of the most fertile recruiting territories in the country.   These guys are out there, and we do not need to look further than our own conference to see how they are succeeding. 

LOL

Laugh all you want, but facts are facts, Lavin recruited well and won for our standards even as a subpar coach.  The problem has not been the players over the past 5-7 years, it has been that SJU refuses to try to bring in the right coach.

« Reply #243 on: January 09, 2018, 12:25:58 PM »

LOL

Laugh all you want, but facts are facts, Lavin recruited well and won for our standards even as a subpar coach.  The problem has not been the players over the past 5-7 years, it has been that SJU refuses to try to bring in the right coach.
5-7? Where were you the prior 10 years?  :( :( :( :( :( :(

« Reply #244 on: January 09, 2018, 12:31:38 PM »

You claim the posters that are critical are being too negative but we all feel St. John's CAN be very successful. You are the one that is truly negative with your woe is me it's just impossible for us to be successful.
Be successful how ? By bitching about the current coach then turning on next one after 2years?
What is successful? By our standards Lavin was successful and no one liked him.

« Reply #245 on: January 09, 2018, 12:36:52 PM »
We had Norm as a coach who could not recruit nor coach.  Also school was coming off sanctions which did not help the cause.  I only bring up 5-7 years, because it is a recent and I am proving that even after sucking for many years, SJU still has the ability to bring in good players.

« Reply #246 on: January 09, 2018, 12:40:58 PM »
Norm was over-matched and the longer he was allowed to stay the further from relevance the program was heading. It was going to take a while to remove Jarvis' stench and Norm's ineptitude. As much us I thought he was a chowder head I was fine with keeping Lavin. I thought he did about as well as we could expect. I know he wasn't a great coach and was an annoying self promoter but outside of a clear upgrade or Chris Mullin or Walter Berry being hired I was fine keeping him as coach. But since we replaced a somewhat successful coach, we have to give this one more than 2 years before we start bitching.
Tim Cluess has much less of a shot to turn this around.

TONYD3

« Reply #247 on: January 09, 2018, 01:04:05 PM »
Norm was over-matched and the longer he was allowed to stay the further from relevance the program was heading. It was going to take a while to remove Jarvis' stench and Norm's ineptitude. As much us I thought he was a chowder head I was fine with keeping Lavin. I thought he did about as well as we could expect. I know he wasn't a great coach and was an annoying self promoter but outside of a clear upgrade or Chris Mullin or Walter Berry being hired I was fine keeping him as coach. But since we replaced a somewhat successful coach, we have to give this one more than 2 years before we start bitching.
If Mullin was given another year. Staff stays the same. How do you think we do next year?

« Reply #248 on: January 09, 2018, 01:09:23 PM »
If Mullin was given another year. Staff stays the same. How do you think we do next year?

I have never seen any of the new wave of transfer kids. So I have no idea. If they are decent and Ponds, Owens and Simon come back I expect us to be a bubble team at the very least. If not Mullin experiment failed.
I am not rooting for that unlike some of you though. Which just makes no sense on soooooo many levels.

« Reply #249 on: January 09, 2018, 01:10:39 PM »

And pretty sure outside of maybe losing every remaining game and mass transfer outs Mullin will be back next year.

Tha Kid

« Reply #250 on: January 09, 2018, 01:23:22 PM »

And pretty sure outside of maybe losing every remaining game and mass transfer outs Mullin will be back next year.

I think outside of Pitt scandal part 2 Mullin is back next year.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #251 on: January 09, 2018, 01:26:30 PM »

I think outside of Pitt scandal part 2 Mullin is back next year.

That was like what 15 years ago? That girl was pretty busted back then, I doubt anyone on this year's squad would want to run a train on her. Plus we don't play Pitt anymore. I like our odds on this one.

« Reply #252 on: January 09, 2018, 06:40:09 PM »

Be successful how ? By bitching about the current coach then turning on next one after 2years?
What is successful? By our standards Lavin was successful and no one liked him.
Better than the drinking, slurping, and sucking that you do.

« Reply #253 on: January 09, 2018, 08:49:37 PM »
Trust the process? This is not exactly the same process that Nick Saban uses.  ::)

« Reply #254 on: January 10, 2018, 12:08:49 AM »
As I stated in Gtown thread Mo is here due to money. Gempshaw comes here as first time President handed keys to place probably not prepared for. Miami (OH) and St. John's couldn't be more different. Comes here figures the best way to save money and reconnect the alum to the program is hiring Mullin. They were budget cuts around this time. When you hire Mullin he gives you free press and still the biggest face of the program other than Louie. Since Louie retired the school and the program have been run like a joke. We will never be Villanova or Gonzaga. I hoped we would have hired either Danny Hurley or Bobby Hurley but, that would mean we would care just about winning basketball games.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #255 on: January 10, 2018, 12:11:54 AM »
Trust the process? This is not exactly the same process that Nick Saban uses.  ::)

This is the process of a proctologist starting his procedure but both hands are on your shoulders...

Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #256 on: January 10, 2018, 12:24:55 AM »

This is the process of a proctologist starting his procedure but both hands are on your shoulders...

LOL You seem to have the same doctor that I do.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:25:25 AM by Celtics11 »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #257 on: January 10, 2018, 12:40:16 AM »

LOL You seem to have the same doctor that I do.

Big hands, cold fingers, went to Syracuse?

....This team needs to get better, because these jokes will only get worse...It’s only January...barely in double digits in January...

Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #258 on: January 10, 2018, 02:22:35 AM »
By our standards Lavin was successful and no one liked him.

I'm not no one.