Ponds top 50

• 21 replies

ras

Re: Ponds top 50
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 06:43:04 PM »
This list in bananas. If Ponds gets stronger, improves his 3 point percentage he could be a first team AA. He won't be a first team anything if other guys aren't ready to step up. Ponds will be doubled teamed from day 1.
Simon and Heron should take doubles off of Ponds, although it would be nice to have more of an inside offensive presence to keep D's honest staying down low.

Any coach that doubles Simon should be fired immediately. Heron is a different story entirely. The best way to get people off Ponds will be shooters and someone who can score inside.
He didn’t say Simon will be doubled. He said he has to be guarded, so his defender would not be able to double Ponds,

But Simon doesn't have to be guarded outside of 15 feet. Simon needs to be used from the high post down to facilitate offense. Let him use his biggest strengths (passing and 1-2 dribble drives). We don't have another consistent inside option with Marvin so good from deep. Someone has to pick up the slack inside or we will be one and done all year on the offensive glass.
I agree w your statement. I also agree w you that Simon can spend some time at the 4 and potentially could be like Dom was his sr year. We all know his outside shooting is not his strength. Hopefully it has improved.

Marillac

Re: Ponds top 50
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 07:30:03 PM »
This list in bananas. If Ponds gets stronger, improves his 3 point percentage he could be a first team AA. He won't be a first team anything if other guys aren't ready to step up. Ponds will be doubled teamed from day 1.
Simon and Heron should take doubles off of Ponds, although it would be nice to have more of an inside offensive presence to keep D's honest staying down low.

Any coach that doubles Simon should be fired immediately. Heron is a different story entirely. The best way to get people off Ponds will be shooters and someone who can score inside.
He didn’t say Simon will be doubled. He said he has to be guarded, so his defender would not be able to double Ponds,

But Simon doesn't have to be guarded outside of 15 feet. Simon needs to be used from the high post down to facilitate offense. Let him use his biggest strengths (passing and 1-2 dribble drives). We don't have another consistent inside option with Marvin so good from deep. Someone has to pick up the slack inside or we will be one and done all year on the offensive glass.
I agree w your statement. I also agree w you that Simon can spend some time at the 4 and potentially could be like Dom was his sr year. We all know his outside shooting is not his strength. Hopefully it has improved.

Simon should play the four and five exclusively. He's got a 7'3 wingspan and likely showing up around 220-225 lbs this year. He looked fine matched up with Dukes bigs last season. I can't imagine a Big that could hurt us more with Simon defending than what Simon could do to a big on the other end.