• 284 replies
Re: Mike Rice - here we go again
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2018, 12:41:35 PM »
Found these Mike Rice quotes from when he was at Rutgers pretty interesting:
"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball."
"Remember the 5 D's of dodgeball: Dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge."

« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2018, 12:42:37 PM »
IF, an its a BIG IF, SJU was to hire Mike Rice it would be best to all parties to come to agreement with a handshake deal and hire him after the summer AAU season. This way he can work on behalf of SJU not just with the kids in his program but the parents  and other players he may coach against on the summer circuit. Once he becomes an official coach he would have limited access to the kids he would be recruiting and would not be able to coach them in the summer. Hiring him post summer AAU season gives him a window to still be around these kids and parents the Johnnies want to get in on 24/7 without any restrictions. Kind of like what Penny Hardaway and  Memphis are doing. They are expected to hire Sam Mitchell as as assistant coach but have held off so he can be around some players he coaches out of Atlanta during the past April live periods.

« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2018, 12:56:21 PM »
Paultzman deleting comments and changing avatar. That could be good news or bad news.
Nothing bad
I'll take that it as good news then
🤞
So one would assume that your bringing it up means that it is back on the table for discussion among the school, coach, and Rice. No ?
I hate to be negative. But, you wouldn t be able to compare the effort that will be put into recruiting from Rice vs. Mitch. I too , am for the hiring of Rice.

Just having Mitch around and connected with the program allows us to keep his biggest contribution. He can still do that in his old role and let someone like Rice have a bigger day-by-day impact. Mitch makes a lot of $ doing talks and making appearances. It's almost certainly in his best interest to go back to his old role.
Exactly

So if we get Mike Rice do you think this gives us a shot with Lewis/Antoine?
Certainly not Antoine who is likely bound to Nova imo. Aidan, Lewis & Gaffney will be challenging as well re: Rio 19 players.

To be clear the Rice hire or any new assistant that could potentially be hired should not be viewed as simply trying to get a few players because of his immediate connection.  It is much more than that.  This staff needs an infusion of experience on the bench and in the gyms and Rice brings that.  The fact he may bring an immediate player or not is not as important as the long term impact of a new AC hire can have.

To be fair I would have liked to have Chris pursue other names first but I would settle for Rice.  He brings grass roots experience and connections, he brings experience as an assistant coach at Pitt and St. Joe's and HC experience at RMU and Rutgers.  The stuff at RU obviously has hurt him but I think even SJU believes that won't hurt them at this point.

There will be a bit of a cosmetic perception issue if he is hired and Mitch is demoted or worse he leaves.  That is not having a prominent African-American assistant on staff.  So it would be nice to have Mitch stay even in a non-recruiting role or find another qualified African-American to put on the staff even if it is an advisory role.  Just something to keep in mind.  It sounds somewhat trivial and personally I don't care what color they are but sometimes perception can matter as we know.

Wods317

« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2018, 01:12:18 PM »
I’m curious what if anything lead to these rumors resurfacing? Seems like this is the 5th time we have had heard about rice and nothing has happened.

« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »
also waiting to hear if that grad transfer is going to be added to roster...that is just as important for next year.

goredmen

« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2018, 01:35:39 PM »
also waiting to hear if that grad transfer is going to be added to roster...that is just as important for next year.

3 major things with the program are still left to be answered for the 18-19 season.

1. Will Ponds return? This doesn't seem like the lock it was just a few days ago.
2. Is there actually an interested grad transfer big out there? A few weeks ago it seemed like that ship has sailed but now it's possible Matt has a trick up his sleeve. We'll see.
3. Will there actually be a staff change? Same with grad transfer, this seemed dead a couple weeks ago but is again picking up steam with Rice's name resurfacing for the 20th time.

Number 1 obviously most important. If Ponds leaves he's leaving for the G League and he knows that. I'm thinking if he's actually considering leaving he's been told by NBA people that he'd develop more in the G league next year instead of college. Would be a crippling blow and would make all of the progress made this offseason be mostly for nothing.

pmg911

« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2018, 02:33:28 PM »

There will be a bit of a cosmetic perception issue if he is hired and Mitch is demoted or worse he leaves.  That is not having a prominent African-American assistant on staff. 

While it should not matter this is a real fact...

Other staffs will attempt to use it as a negative recruiting tool..

paultzman

« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2018, 02:48:42 PM »

There will be a bit of a cosmetic perception issue if he is hired and Mitch is demoted or worse he leaves.  That is not having a prominent African-American assistant on staff. 

Yup, as one other BE team did apparently not so long ago.

« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2018, 03:17:07 PM »
ED Cooley

wpc77

« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2018, 03:29:24 PM »

Then it's time for Mully to jettison GSJ and scoop up his old pal Mario Elie off of whatever couch he's sitting on in Houston and come help out.

« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2018, 03:32:55 PM »
Greg St. Jean is an excellent young coach with a great work ethic.  He fits fine on a staff with two assistants that get after it on the recruiting front.  You can fill the DOBO or "special assistant" spot with a qualified African-American. 

No one can sell any "demotion" of Mitch as being race motivated when the Head Coach is one of Mitch's best friends.

Yes, Easy Ed apparently played that card with Shamorie and it didn't work.  I have no doubt that slime ball snake Willard would do the same, especially since he just replaced one African-American assistant with another and is apparently replacing Freddie Hill with an African-American. 

It will certainly be used against the staff if the three assistants are all white but there are ways to manage that.

pmg911

« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2018, 03:35:15 PM »

Then it's time for Mully to jettison GSJ and scoop up his old pal Mario Elie off of whatever couch he's sitting on in Houston and come help out.

Outstanding reference

wpc77

« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2018, 07:18:50 PM »

Outstanding reference

Thanks I channeled Peter Vescey with that one

« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2018, 10:28:53 PM »
Remember when we were excited to get Slice and Matt A. as assistants?

« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2018, 10:30:33 PM »

I freaking knew that race can play a role in recruiting. I absolutely freaking knew it.

All those redmen folks kept telling me “ No, it shouldn’t matter”.  I knew it.

Ugh!!!!

Poison

« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2018, 10:40:37 PM »

I freaking knew that race can play a role in recruiting. I absolutely freaking knew it.

Ugh!!!!

I hope that one day employers can see past color.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 11:11:16 PM by Poison »

« Reply #136 on: May 24, 2018, 01:52:45 PM »
Think it should be Richmond to get demoted if Rice comes aboard but can someone tell me what exactly Dan Matic does.  I've never heard of him out on the recruiting trail.  I thought he was hired because he was highly thought of in the ny area.

Marillac

« Reply #137 on: May 24, 2018, 03:28:44 PM »

Ugh!!!!

I hope that one day employers can see past color.

You're so virtuous. 🙄

Poison

« Reply #138 on: May 24, 2018, 03:40:28 PM »
Think it should be Richmond to get demoted if Rice comes aboard but can someone tell me what exactly Dan Matic does.  I've never heard of him out on the recruiting trail.  I thought he was hired because he was highly thought of in the ny area.

I’ve had suspicions that Richmond wasn’t adding much to the staff, but without knowing the day to day, how can we point a finger at him over another St.John’s assistant coach? St.Jean, or even Matt. And there’s another guy. I don’t even know who that other guy is.

QuanMan

« Reply #139 on: May 24, 2018, 03:48:12 PM »

+1000
Section 3
Section 116