Mike Rice - here we go again

• 284 replies
Re: Mike Rice - here we go again
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2018, 04:22:38 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if Mike Rice ends up at Pitt with Capel

Smart man I sense

Not likely.  Told those rumors are not solid.

BTW-Don't get carried away with Rice, I'm not saying he couldn't be a good hire, he may be.  But think about it why is he still available?  If it were as simple as hiring him and getting a great coach/recruiter who may even be able to bring big time kids immediately why hasn't ANYONE hired him as an assistant let alone SJU?  Forget about SJU what is preventing anyone high major or even mid major program from hiring him?  Nothing presumably, so why is he still coaching high school kids?

Rutgers is why no one will hire him. It's hard for him to shed that and the media probably won't let him if he ever gets another college job. That's the most likely reason.

Yes my question was rhetorical.  My larger point is people are saying "Why doesn't SJU just hire Mike Rice?"  My question is "Why isn't anyone else hiring him?" and you may have your answer.  It doesn't appear that anyone is beating down his door in a race to hire him.

BTW-He is not the only one there are plenty of off season staff movements that allow for top recruiting assistants to become available.  I just think the focus on Rice is overplayed.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 04:23:50 PM by fordham96 »

Johnny23

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2018, 04:24:49 PM »

Smart man I sense

BTW-Don't get carried away with Rice, I'm not saying he couldn't be a good hire, he may be.  But think about it why is he still available?  If it were as simple as hiring him and getting a great coach/recruiter who may even be able to bring big time kids immediately why hasn't ANYONE hired him as an assistant let alone SJU?  Forget about SJU what is preventing anyone high major or even mid major program from hiring him?  Nothing presumably, so why is he still coaching high school kids?

Rutgers is why no one will hire him. It's hard for him to shed that and the media probably won't let him if he ever gets another college job. That's the most likely reason.

Yes my question was rhetorical.  My larger point is people are saying "Why doesn't SJU just hire Mike Rice?"  Why question is "Why isn't anyone else hiring him?" and you may have your answer.  It is not that simple.

BTW-He is not the only one there are plenty of off season staff movements that allow for top recruiting assistants to become available.  I just think the focus on Rice is overplayed.

Gotcha. The candidate should not just be a recruiting ass't but an X's and O's guy which I think is just as, if not, more important.

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2018, 04:40:35 PM »

Smart man I sense

Yes my question was rhetorical.  My larger point is people are saying "Why doesn't SJU just hire Mike Rice?"  My question is "Why isn't anyone else hiring him?" and you may have your answer.  It doesn't appear that anyone is beating down his door in a race to hire him.

Agree with you.  But the focus on Rice is that he's: (a) available, (b) presumably could be an inexpensive hire, (c) has a skill set that makes a ton of sense here given the staff's limitations, and (d) is currently coaching several top prospects that would immediately change recruiting dynamics.

I'd be less concerned about the recruits being scared off by his past because he already has very strong in roads with Antoine, Lewis, etc.  Somehow land those guys are we are in outstanding shape.

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2018, 04:47:45 PM »

Smart man I sense

Agree with you.  But the focus on Rice is that he's: (a) available, (b) presumably could be an inexpensive hire, (c) has a skill set that makes a ton of sense here given the staff's limitations, and (d) is currently coaching several top prospects that would immediately change recruiting dynamics.

I'd be less concerned about the recruits being scared off by his past because he already has very strong in roads with Antoine, Lewis, etc.  Somehow land those guys are we are in outstanding shape.

Understood but he is not the only one and there are clearly red flags.  And again he is not the only one especially in the off season where coaches that are part of staffs that get fired become available.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 04:55:34 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2018, 04:50:28 PM »

Smart man I sense

Almost 5 years to the day he was fired and NO ONE has hired him. Doubt very much ST John's would want to be the one that breaks that streak.

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2018, 04:50:39 PM »

Smart man I sense

Understood but he is not the only one and there are clearly red flags.  And again he is not the only one especially in the off season where coaches that are part of staff that get fired become available.
No argument.  We're all dreaming of a magic bullet, and we all know there isn't one.  For me, Rice is definitely worth the risk given all of the positives.

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2018, 04:57:06 PM »

Smart man I sense

Almost 5 years to the day he was fired and NO ONE has hired him. Doubt very much ST John's would want to be the one that breaks that streak.

I can tell you the belief by SJU is the negative recruiting from other staffs is not worth the hire.

SJUFAN

« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2018, 05:29:03 PM »

Smart man I sense

Understood but he is not the only one and there are clearly red flags.  And again he is not the only one especially in the off season where coaches that are part of staff that get fired become available.
No argument.  We're all dreaming of a magic bullet, and we all know there isn't one.  For me, Rice is definitely worth the risk given all of the positives.
[/quote]

Last time I checked there wasn't an opening on the staff so all of this is moot.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 05:29:41 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2018, 08:24:51 PM »

Smart man I sense

I can tell you the belief by SJU is the negative recruiting from other staffs is not worth the hire.
As if they don't have enough already. The kids that play for him say great things about him if we get some of them and have high level of success and he works out by the time we need other recruits this would be moot. Now if he can't deliver the recruits he may very well not be worth the bother.

Marillac

« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2018, 08:28:18 PM »

Smart man I sense

This is a silly reason to not hire a clearly qualified coach. First, Mullin is the ultimate player's coach. Second, they could know within ten minutes meeting him he's a decent guy and changed man.

MCNPA

« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2018, 08:21:15 AM »
Why somebody wouldn’t hire him at this point is silly.  SJU has zero to lose honestly.  We are in last place, and our rep sucks to begin with.  Only up from here.  Mike Rice is a very hard worker and would help at both recruiting and coaching.  It’s a no-brainer.

“I can tell you the belief by SJU is the negative recruiting from other staffs is not worth the hire.” ;D ;D. Maybe the sit-out transfer market will dry up or are we gonna stop landing blue-chippers? ;D.  Mike Rice’s high school team is currently landing higher ranked guys than SJU is!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 08:24:31 AM by MCNPA »

Poison

« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2018, 09:16:53 AM »

Smart man I sense

This is a silly reason to not hire a clearly qualified coach. First, Mullin is the ultimate player's coach. Second, they could know within ten minutes meeting him he's a decent guy and changed man.

It might take a little more than 10 minutes to know if Mike Rice is rehabilitated.

MCNPA

« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2018, 09:43:25 AM »
Fact remains we lost our “lead recruiter” in Slice and never replaced him.  Even if it’s not Mike Rice, our assistant coaching staff needs more meat and less potatoes... 

SJUFAN

« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2018, 11:02:42 AM »
There will always be negative recruiting. If that is what is preventing the staff from hiring a experienced coach who  can help them more than hurt them that would be disappointing. I have to be more confident to overcome those barriers. I have a better idea that many of you may not be on board with. When Mullin decides to move on, and if he's available, being he still wants to get back into coaching, I would bring in Ricky P.

I don't care about the issues. If there is a God, he will be walking the SJU sidelines one day.

derk

« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2018, 03:20:17 PM »

Smart man I sense

Fine. So when you ask them who is the perfect "saintly" hire for SJU what do they say

goredmen

« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2018, 09:10:13 PM »
I guess this ship either hasn't sailed yet or has returned to the dock
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 09:10:25 PM by goredmen »

QuanMan

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2018, 02:26:52 PM »
Paultz- Loving today's avi!
Section 3
Section 116

paultzman

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2018, 02:35:25 PM »
Paultz- Loving today's avi!
Just having some fun in response to rumors about staff change, not necessarily Rice. We’ll see if they have legs.

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2018, 02:48:44 PM »
To follow up there is some talk that Mitch may go back to the NBA or at least move down to non-assistant/advisor role thus creating an opening.

I am not sure assuming that happens Rice would be the main candidate to replace him though.

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2018, 03:12:42 PM »
I'll take someone with head coaching experience that can also assist on the recruiting trail, with ties to the NY/NJ area.