Mike Rice - here we go again

• 284 replies

MCNPA

Re: Mike Rice - here we go again
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2018, 06:56:00 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if Mike Rice ends up at Pitt with Capel

Smart man I sense

Not likely.  Told those rumors are not solid.

BTW-Don't get carried away with Rice, I'm not saying he couldn't be a good hire, he may be.  But think about it why is he still available?  If it were as simple as hiring him and getting a great coach/recruiter who may even be able to bring big time kids immediately why hasn't ANYONE hired him as an assistant let alone SJU?  Forget about SJU what is preventing anyone high major or even mid major program from hiring him?  Nothing presumably, so why is he still coaching high school kids?

Rutgers is why no one will hire him. It's hard for him to shed that and the media probably won't let him if he ever gets another college job. That's the most likely reason.

Yes my question was rhetorical.  My larger point is people are saying "Why doesn't SJU just hire Mike Rice?"  My question is "Why isn't anyone else hiring him?" and you may have your answer.  It doesn't appear that anyone is beating down his door in a race to hire him.

BTW-He is not the only one there are plenty of off season staff movements that allow for top recruiting assistants to become available.  I just think the focus on Rice is overplayed.

It’s not just him, but it illucidates the bigger problem...  that we hired no real coaches!  Abdelmassih is our single recruiter, there’s no AHC, Richmond is a friend and former player that does no recruiting ala Rico Hines and a noob who also doesn’t recruit.  There’s a problem here...  Rice seemed like a solid choice because he ran a few programs before and has a lot of local recruiting connections.  There are lots of others.  Just hire somebody because we need help both coaching and recruiting high school players.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 07:03:00 PM by MCNPA »

MCNPA

« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2018, 02:51:55 PM »
Should have said “elucidate” but It won’t let me edit..  too many craft beers that night... ;D

« Reply #82 on: April 23, 2018, 10:51:57 AM »
There are still rumblings of a staff overhaul.

But one thing I was told, Rice is not going to happen even with an opening.

« Reply #83 on: April 23, 2018, 11:00:28 AM »
The only reason to consider Rice is if he could guarantee the Ranney duo which I don't think he can.  Other wise I wouldn't touch him.  Veteran coach would be wise but don't like Rice.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2018, 11:01:07 AM »
Thanks Fordham. As for the staff change, are you hearing what has been speculated at length, ie Mitch heading to another role in staff or leaving altogether.

Also, any potential names if not Rice.

And as for Rice is the issue what has been speculated about here before  - the concern over negative recruiting?

« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2018, 11:27:06 AM »
Thanks Fordham. As for the staff change, are you hearing what has been speculated at length, ie Mitch heading to another role in staff or leaving altogether.

Also, any potential names if not Rice.

And as for Rice is the issue what has been speculated about here before  - the concern over negative recruiting?

I am not going to speculate on names as I said the staff change is potential has not even happened yet.

Personally I threw out a couple of names before, Kevin Ollie.  Would be a huge hire in both recruiting and coaching experience.  Or someone from his staff like Raphael Chillious,  Chillious coached at Prep Power South Kent and AAU circuit before joining Lorenzo Romar at UW, then Jay Wirght and Nova, then back to UW and then to UCONN.

But again it is premature and at the end of the day it is CM who would need to make that call.

But I was told Mike Rice is not going to happen.

MCNPA

« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2018, 12:46:09 PM »
Doesn’t have to be Rice, but we need some changes...

paultzman

« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2018, 12:58:25 PM »
Sense you will get your wish

« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2018, 01:06:33 PM »

I made this point repeatedly, not against Mike Rice specifically but people act like he is the only potential available assistant.  With off season staff changes across the country solid assistants become available.  I mean when Ernie Kent was fired at Oregon in 2010 SJU hired Mike Dunlap and Calipari hired Kenny Payne off of his staff.  Who cares that Kent was fired, did that make Dunlap and Payne bad hires?  I mean you have a poster who argues Kevin Ollie would be a bad hire because he was fired at UCONN as HC, huh????
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 01:12:28 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2018, 01:13:07 PM »
Hire Cockburns father and uncles

« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2018, 01:14:51 PM »
I think it is funny that a bunch of you are pining for a guy that no one has hired in 5 years. ST John's is not going to be the first program to start off the Mike Rice redemption tour.

« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »
I think it is funny that a bunch of you are pining for a guy that no one has hired in 5 years. ST John's is not going to be the first program to start off the Mike Rice redemption tour.

You said that already a few weeks back after I implied it first.....:) :)

paultzman

« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2018, 01:28:19 PM »
Maybe the right perspective is Mullin may realize a staff change could be a positive. Who he chooses, if this occurs, is up to him. I welcome a change if he deems it could help.

« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2018, 01:37:41 PM »
what a concept Paultz, appreciate your level-headiness at all times.

Johnny23

« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2018, 01:40:25 PM »
There needs to be a staff upgrade if he wants to succeed. Let's see if he does it. I have my doubts.

paultzman

« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2018, 02:05:00 PM »
There needs to be a staff upgrade if he wants to succeed. Let's see if he does it. I have my doubts.
I sense the opposite

« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2018, 03:01:14 PM »
I sense the opposite

Slice coming back? He is already getting paid

Johnny23

« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2018, 03:05:34 PM »
I sense the opposite

I hope you're right. Really important.

« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2018, 03:21:07 PM »
I sense the opposite

Slice coming back? He is already getting paid

Tim Hardaway.  He wants to re-unite with Chris and Mitch for a new Run TMC and he can be closer to his son.

« Reply #99 on: April 23, 2018, 11:16:25 PM »
Id be all for a Kevin Ollie hire