Mike Rice - here we go again

• 284 replies

TONYD3

Re: Mike Rice - here we go again
« Reply #160 on: May 24, 2018, 11:13:48 PM »
Maybe it works . I said in the beginning that it was the best idea yet. Wish they would have done it from the beginning.

Poison

« Reply #161 on: May 24, 2018, 11:44:08 PM »
I think rice should be hired to replace st. Jean. I think another coach should be hired to replace Mitch and work with rice.
I have been on  HS football staffs with very good coaches that didn’t mesh. Especially with hands off head coaches. The linebacker coach (who may be a great coach and excellent defensive coordinator) is a terrible linebacker coach if he doesn’t mesh with the current defenses coordinator. A lesser coach could be better just by playing his role. That is my point.

There is absolutely zero reason to believe Rice and GSJ wouldn't get along or that Rice would get along better with another random assistant than he would with St. Jean.

I
St. Jean in my opinion is over his head. I think he needs to be replaced. If not replaced hire someone who will support him. Maybe rice could be that guy. But I don’t think it’s a slam dunk.

GSJ isn't going to get replaced. They will hire somebody to support him. Mike Rice happens to be a former successful head coach that knows the game well, so there are probably not many guys more qualified than him willing to come here. And again, there's absolutely no reason to believe any other potential replacement would get along better or worse with GSJ than Rice would. It's completely baseless speculation for which the motivations are very clear

There is absolutely a reason to believe that Rice wouldn't get along with St.Jean.

goredmen

« Reply #162 on: May 24, 2018, 11:46:05 PM »
I think rice should be hired to replace st. Jean. I think another coach should be hired to replace Mitch and work with rice.
I have been on  HS football staffs with very good coaches that didn’t mesh. Especially with hands off head coaches. The linebacker coach (who may be a great coach and excellent defensive coordinator) is a terrible linebacker coach if he doesn’t mesh with the current defenses coordinator. A lesser coach could be better just by playing his role. That is my point.

There is absolutely zero reason to believe Rice and GSJ wouldn't get along or that Rice would get along better with another random assistant than he would with St. Jean.

I
St. Jean in my opinion is over his head. I think he needs to be replaced. If not replaced hire someone who will support him. Maybe rice could be that guy. But I don’t think it’s a slam dunk.

GSJ isn't going to get replaced. They will hire somebody to support him. Mike Rice happens to be a former successful head coach that knows the game well, so there are probably not many guys more qualified than him willing to come here. And again, there's absolutely no reason to believe any other potential replacement would get along better or worse with GSJ than Rice would. It's completely baseless speculation for which the motivations are very clear

There is absolutely a reason to believe that Rice wouldn't get along with St.Jean.

Learn how to count to 4 before making more baseless statements
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 11:46:14 PM by goredmen »

Marillac

« Reply #163 on: May 24, 2018, 11:54:11 PM »

I

Lol Didn't you know he's an elitist?

Poison

« Reply #164 on: May 24, 2018, 11:55:09 PM »

I

Mike Rice was fired from Rutgers with cause. Learn what words mean before you use them smart guy.

Poison

« Reply #165 on: May 24, 2018, 11:56:54 PM »

I

Lol Didn't you know he's an elitist?

Damn right

Foad

« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2018, 09:06:29 AM »
I think st. Jean coaches the team for the most part. I think he runs most of the practices. I think he is in charge of the walk throughs. I think he is the man speaking during film sessions. Now he loses much of his authority? Mike rice is going to sit there and watch this young guy? Take orders from him?

The way you claim Chris Mullin and Mitch Richmond do you mean?

TONYD3

« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2018, 09:22:52 AM »
I think st. Jean coaches the team for the most part. I think he runs most of the practices. I think he is in charge of the walk throughs. I think he is the man speaking during film sessions. Now he loses much of his authority? Mike rice is going to sit there and watch this young guy? Take orders from him?

Don’t understand

« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2018, 09:48:31 AM »
If Mike Rice wants to Coach again at a Major level, he probably needs to set his sights on a Juco, Div 2 or a Assistant’s position for some NBA team. It’s hard to fathom why anyone , at any Position in the St John’s Administration would remotely consider Rice for a job here . Since Rice was let go by Rutgers for abusive behavior towards his Players , not 1 Major Program has offered him a job . Why would anyone remotely think Rice should be here at St John’s?  Maybe Rice and Fred Hill,and  also a Fired Rutgers Coach could be a package Deal somewhere ? But, where ? Their knowledge of Basketball is not the issue but, their history is and should be . Plus , as I recall , neither Hill or Rice brought anything to Rutgers that could be considered a positive .

Foad

« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2018, 10:34:33 AM »

Don’t understand

No kidding.

TONYD3

« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2018, 10:41:34 AM »

Don’t understand

No kidding.
Still don’t understand your joke. I am sure it’s incredibly funny.

paultzman

« Reply #171 on: May 25, 2018, 11:40:24 AM »
If Mike Rice wants to Coach again at a Major level, he probably needs to set his sights on a Juco, Div 2 or a Assistant’s position for some NBA team. It’s hard to fathom why anyone , at any Position in the St John’s Administration would remotely consider Rice for a job here . Since Rice was let go by Rutgers for abusive behavior towards his Players , not 1 Major Program has offered him a job . Why would anyone remotely think Rice should be here at St John’s?  Maybe Rice and Fred Hill,and  also a Fired Rutgers Coach could be a package Deal somewhere ? But, where ? Their knowledge of Basketball is not the issue but, their history is and should be . Plus , as I recall , neither Hill or Rice brought anything to Rutgers that could be considered a positive .
Dead wrong on Rice’s options and SJU administration’s position

« Reply #172 on: May 25, 2018, 12:04:55 PM »
Other high majors have most often definitely looked into Rice, including Seton Hall.  Parents and advisors of top ranked teenage basketball players have had no qualms sending their kids to play for Rice at the AAU and HS level.  There will be some attention to the Rutgers stuff at first, if he is in fact hired, but I don't see it being a huge issue from a negative recruiting standpoint. 

Foad

« Reply #173 on: May 25, 2018, 12:11:48 PM »

Don’t understand

No kidding.

It wasn't a joke, I was pointing out how dumb your statement was. You say that St Jean coaches the games and runs the practices and is in charge of the film sessions. Then you ask incredulously why Mike Rice would stand there and watch St Jean do that and take orders from him. If as you say NBA HOF'ers Mitch Richmond and Chris Mullin stand there and watch St Jean and take orders from him, why would not disgraced former coach Mike Rice not do the same thing? See stupid? All of that cannot be true, and yet you believe it's all true.

paultzman

« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2018, 12:35:50 PM »
Other high majors have most often definitely looked into Rice, including Seton Hall.  Parents and advisors of top ranked teenage basketball players have had no qualms sending their kids to play for Rice at the AAU and HS level.  There will be some attention to the Rutgers stuff at first, if he is in fact hired, but I don't see it being a huge issue from a negative recruiting standpoint. 
+1

TONYD3

« Reply #175 on: May 25, 2018, 12:38:19 PM »

Don’t understand

No kidding.

It wasn't a joke, I was pointing out how dumb your statement was. You say that St Jean coaches the games and runs the practices and is in charge of the film sessions. Then you ask incredulously why Mike Rice would stand there and watch St Jean do that and take orders from him. If as you say NBA HOF'ers Mitch Richmond and Chris Mullin stand there and watch St Jean and take orders from him, why would not disgraced former coach Mike Rice not do the same thing? See stupid? All of that cannot be true, and yet you believe it's all true.
If the hall of farmers know what they are doing, why do we need mike rice? And why is st. Jean so animated during games while the dream team look dazed and confused? Telling someone to “shut the fxck up” or constantly crying at the referees is not exactly coaching. UFOAD! That name still makes me laugh

« Reply #176 on: May 25, 2018, 08:08:25 PM »
One thing I will say, I do know someone who is a manger of the team and he did tell me that St. Jean does in fact run every single practice.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #177 on: May 28, 2018, 11:38:55 PM »
Looks like Coach Mitch finally took a break from the recruiting trail and presented the Warriors the with the Western Conference Championship Trophy.

« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2018, 01:29:27 AM »
Looks like Coach Mitch finally took a break from the recruiting trail and presented the Warriors the with the Western Conference Championship Trophy.
Yeah he looked exhausted from all that travel and long hours.

« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2018, 10:05:50 AM »

Hey I’ll take it. Mark Jackson mentioned Mullin during the Cavs-Celtics game Sunday. 2 hall of fame mentions on back to back conference final days, can’t hurt. But hasn’t seem like it has helped much either.