Mike Rice - here we go again

• 284 replies
Re: Mike Rice - here we go again
« Reply #180 on: May 29, 2018, 10:37:10 AM »
So I can share some convos I've had with Rice about St. Jean. Rice has attended a practice and he was really impressed with the way St. Jean ran practice, drills he had them doing, and knew what he was doing. He saw the NBA background immediately. There is a strong respect there.

I've also had a lot of philosophical basketball discussions with St. Jean and I also share a respect for his knowledge and passion for the game.

What I think Mike Rice has that St. Jean doesn't is experience and overall the ability to bond with players. There are things that Rice has experienced going through the ringer 1000 times where St. Jean may know what to do, he might get there slower, or not at all just due to never doing it before.

From RMU to Rutgers to Team Rio Rice's players love him and would run through a wall for him. Rice certainly embraces the closeness to the players where I haven't personally seen that yet with St. Jean and our guys. Again not to say it doesn't exist but I think that level of Coach/Player rapport comes with more experience.

Think of it in your first job as a manager level and dealing with subordinates? Were you super smooth? Did you have some bumps? I think the connectivity has improved but you need it even more at Big East level.

Not to say Rice is the only answer but he's a damn good one with or without his current crop of players he coaches. They are an added benefit if they would follow him.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #181 on: May 29, 2018, 10:45:23 AM »
Dave,

Thank you for the insight.

TONYD3

« Reply #182 on: May 29, 2018, 11:08:56 AM »
So I can share some convos I've had with Rice about St. Jean. Rice has attended a practice and he was really impressed with the way St. Jean ran practice, drills he had them doing, and knew what he was doing. He saw the NBA background immediately. There is a strong respect there.

I've also had a lot of philosophical basketball discussions with St. Jean and I also share a respect for his knowledge and passion for the game.

What I think Mike Rice has that St. Jean doesn't is experience and overall the ability to bond with players. There are things that Rice has experienced going through the ringer 1000 times where St. Jean may know what to do, he might get there slower, or not at all just due to never doing it before.

From RMU to Rutgers to Team Rio Rice's players love him and would run through a wall for him. Rice certainly embraces the closeness to the players where I haven't personally seen that yet with St. Jean and our guys. Again not to say it doesn't exist but I think that level of Coach/Player rapport comes with more experience.

Think of it in your first job as a manager level and dealing with subordinates? Were you super smooth? Did you have some bumps? I think the connectivity has improved but you need it even more at Big East level.

Not to say Rice is the only answer but he's a damn good one with or without his current crop of players he coaches. They are an added benefit if they would follow him.
So is this happening?

« Reply #183 on: May 29, 2018, 01:19:36 PM »

So is this happening?

No clue. My personal thoughts are if it hasn't happened already then it's most likely not happening.

paultzman

« Reply #184 on: May 29, 2018, 03:01:42 PM »
Unless the plan was to wait until after his AAU summer season ended.

« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2018, 04:20:03 PM »

This would make the most sense but I don't give St. John's the benefit of the doubt for doing logical things.

ras

« Reply #186 on: May 29, 2018, 04:55:53 PM »
I can’t disagree w your last post,Dave.

paultzman

« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2018, 05:05:56 PM »

This would make the most sense but I don't give St. John's the benefit of the doubt for doing logical things.
True

Moose

« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2018, 09:25:03 PM »
Looks like Coach Mitch finally took a break from the recruiting trail and presented the Warriors the with the Western Conference Championship Trophy.

Hey I’ll take it. Mark Jackson mentioned Mullin during the Cavs-Celtics game Sunday. 2 hall of fame mentions on back to back conference final days, can’t hurt. But hasn’t seem like it has helped much either.

Sorry but it doesn't matter as much as we all hoped it would. Kids these days probably never heard of either. They have tunnel vision and see the current product. Put players in the Association and that will relate
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #189 on: May 31, 2018, 09:12:32 AM »
Any update on rice?  Do our insiders still expect to see some type of shakeup on our staff?

paultzman

« Reply #190 on: May 31, 2018, 09:24:02 AM »
Not an “insider”, but gut says staffing change will happen this summer. I would not be surprised if Mitch moved back to old special assistant gig or Greg got an NBA gig, but last point is just conjecture.

derk

« Reply #191 on: May 31, 2018, 10:53:44 AM »
And if so do you think it would be Rice or .... ?

QuanMan

« Reply #192 on: June 25, 2018, 09:30:31 PM »
If Rice honors his obligations Team Rio's schedule runs through Summer Session II on campus with our guys. There's plenty of time for development and coaching left, especially in the Fall, but bonding time lost with the current roster nonetheless. As far as recruiting efforts, our top 2 arguably 3 2019 targets are on his current bench so not bad letting the +/-  offset.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ifeaRgWFcfttUs8mCC7RJ_rx0YSkcchodqjcCuMp0ys/edit

July 7-8 Practice Weekend
July 10-14 UAA III, Atlanta, GA (NCAA Live) (ALL TEAMS)
July 18-20 Hoop Group Elite II, (NCAA Live) Albright College (ALL PLAYERS)
July 21-22, West Coast Elite 100, (NCAA Live) Los Angeles, California
July 25-29, Fab 48 16/17U, Las Vegas, Nevada (TEAM TBA)
July 25-27, Live in AC, 16/17U, Atlantic City (TEAM TBA)
July 25-29, 17U Rice UAA Championships, Las Vegas, Nevada

All D1 2018-19 hires can become official next week. I'm guessing that we'd be tampering and violating rules if he juggled both, so a handshake agreement is likely in place with a early August announcement forthcoming. Again this is me taking a stab at things, if anyone wants to add to this assessment feel free.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #193 on: June 25, 2018, 10:22:08 PM »
I'm guessing you're right, QuanMan.

Why would you take on the baggage that comes with Mike Rice without knowing that the negative recruiting that it will allow our opponents to engage in will be offset by positive recruits? We're not running a rehabilitation center here.

Mike Rice won't be walking through that door without a couple of his Team Rio kids walking through with him.

Foad

« Reply #194 on: June 26, 2018, 08:23:53 AM »
Why would you take on the baggage that comes with Mike Rice without knowing that the negative recruiting that it will allow our opponents to engage in

I don't know whether Rice is a good fit or not or anything about him at all. But really how much negative recruiting could anyone do. Psst, kid, better not go to St John's, six years ago one of the assistant coaches called a player a fag and threw a ball at his head. That's not exactly Lou has cancer.

redslope

« Reply #195 on: June 26, 2018, 12:09:05 PM »
Why would you take on the baggage that comes with Mike Rice without knowing that the negative recruiting that it will allow our opponents to engage in

I don't know whether Rice is a good fit or not or anything about him at all. But really how much negative recruiting could anyone do. Psst, kid, better not go to St John's, six years ago one of the assistant coaches called a player a fag and threw a ball at his head. That's not exactly Lou has cancer.

People learn from their mistakes.  Coach Chris is a prime example with his drinking problem.  Rice would face more negative criticism from rival AAU coaches than anything he would face on collegiate level.  When one sees the players that he "recruits" for his AAU team, it seems probable that he has changed his ways (which were horrible as Rutgers coach) and grown from that.  Hire him and pray to St. Jude (patron saint of desperate cases and lost causes--a match for Redmen basketball)

derk

« Reply #196 on: June 27, 2018, 09:06:11 AM »

So is this happening?

No clue. My personal thoughts are if it hasn't happened already then it's most likely not happening.

I agree. But why ? If not Rice then who. This is the strangest organization I've ever encountered and after almost 60 years it's getting real tiresome.

« Reply #197 on: June 27, 2018, 12:13:32 PM »
Derk, have you read the last page of entries?

The consensus is that Rice will be here as soon as his AAU season is over at the end of July.

TONYD3

« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2018, 12:22:34 PM »

The consensus is that Rice will be here as soon as his AAU season is over at the end of July.
Why is that? Isn’t it way more important to be with a college team instead of a glorified little league team.

goredmen

« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2018, 12:49:58 PM »

Why is that? Isn’t it way more important to be with a college team instead of a glorified little league team.

The biggest time for AAU basketball is July. There is no reason for him to join the staff before then. If he is indeed eventually joining the staff, it is best for both him and program to have him on the sidelines coaching our top 2 targets during the July AAU period rather than watching them from the bleachers
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:52:39 PM by goredmen »