Mike Rice - here we go again

• 284 replies

Mike

Re: Mike Rice - here we go again
« Reply #220 on: July 10, 2018, 09:44:40 PM »
Why is it clear that Luca Virgilio should not be relied upon to be out recruiting? What is the basis for that statement? Maybe he is a recruiting savant.
Dude get real.  Luca is just a kid with absolutely no pull or influence to his name at this point. Would you rather have Mitch Richmond and his hall of fame ring on the recruiting trail or a kid who three years ago was helping out the bball team part time while attending grad school? 

Get real. When was the last time Mitch was on the recruiting trail????

TONYD3

« Reply #221 on: July 10, 2018, 09:48:01 PM »
Why is it clear that Luca Virgilio should not be relied upon to be out recruiting? What is the basis for that statement? Maybe he is a recruiting savant.
Ok maybe he is. Then why is Mitch a coach instead of him?

« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2018, 10:45:45 PM »
Dude get real.  Luca is just a kid with absolutely no pull or influence to his name at this point. Would you rather have Mitch Richmond and his hall of fame ring on the recruiting trail or a kid who three years ago was helping out the bball team part time while attending grad school? 

The question was who would you rather have out recruiting. 

Mike

« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2018, 11:46:58 PM »

The question was who would you rather have out recruiting. 

The question is a dream, hasn’t happened and never will. So having an extra body who is willing to go out is better than Mitch getting paid and doing shit.

We will all agree it’s a shame. Wasted opportunity.

« Reply #224 on: July 11, 2018, 12:22:50 AM »
In addition to the other reports out there but Mullin will be on the road in Atlanta this week too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #225 on: July 11, 2018, 02:49:03 PM »

As I've said a few times, Mitch makes his $ speaking at or showing up to corporate events and autograph/memorabilia signings. He makes more than we pay him and has a very extensive travel schedule. It's in his interest and our's to move him back to a special advisor role and hire an experienced assistant like Rice. I expect this to be finalized before the school year begins.

TONYD3

« Reply #226 on: July 16, 2018, 10:21:10 AM »

As I've said a few times, Mitch makes his $ speaking at or showing up to corporate events and autograph/memorabilia signings. He makes more than we pay him and has a very extensive travel schedule. It's in his interest and our's to move him back to a special advisor role and hire an experienced assistant like Rice. I expect this to be finalized before the school year begins.
If this is true or has any truth to it, This is the most pathetic reason yet. Sorry coach Mullin, I can't even attempt to do my job because I make more money somewhere else. But I still want to get paid fully, even though I kind of suck when I do show up. However, i may take a diminished role but certainly not a pay cut if we could pry away the experienced coach who has no other suitors while he finishes up coaching little league. Trust the process!

Marillac

« Reply #227 on: July 16, 2018, 12:37:54 PM »

If this is true or has any truth to it, This is the most pathetic reason yet. Sorry coach Mullin, I can't even attempt to do my job because I make more money somewhere else. But I still want to get paid fully, even though I kind of suck when I do show up. However, i may take a diminished role but certainly not a pay cut if we could pry away the experienced coach who has no other suitors while he finishes up coaching little league. Trust the process!

Richmond's value is being around the program. We don't have the roster we currently have without him. Simple as that. Matt A is the coaching equivalent of a Designated Hitter. He contributes nothing to the coaching of the team and is a recruiter plain and simple. Matt brings them in and Mullin and Mitch close the deal. I strongly believe Mitch will go back to his old role and a new assistant will be named. That would be huge for the program. No other program has two guys like Mullin and Richmond.

TONYD3

« Reply #228 on: July 16, 2018, 02:28:02 PM »

Richmond's value is being around the program. We don't have the roster we currently have without him. Simple as that. Matt A is the coaching equivalent of a Designated Hitter. He contributes nothing to the coaching of the team and is a recruiter plain and simple. Matt brings them in and Mullin and Mitch close the deal. I strongly believe Mitch will go back to his old role and a new assistant will be named. That would be huge for the program. No other program has two guys like Mullin and Richmond.
Agree. The problem is it hasn’t worked. Pretending it has worked or will work in the future is the issue. From memory have to win 8 games in big east just to tie norm after 4 years.
Mullin this off season seems to be visible. That is a huge positive. That should have been there from the beginning.
If everything works out we could have a special season this year. Equal chance in my mind we play Wednesday night in the big east . Mustpha can be all big east or never play a second.

SJU79

« Reply #229 on: July 16, 2018, 05:35:52 PM »

Ummm...huh? Can you please elaborate Mitch's value from being around the team and how exactly we wouldn't have the current roster without him? Thanks

Marillac

« Reply #230 on: July 17, 2018, 02:07:08 AM »

Ummm...huh? Can you please elaborate Mitch's value from being around the team and how exactly we wouldn't have the current roster without him? Thanks

Ummmmmmmmmmmm..........which part do you struggle with exactly, Rumors?

We have one black coach in a sport that is 90% black. That one black coach happens to be an NBA Hall of Famer whose presence and potential tutelage has been cited as a factor for all of our players to commit. But I'm sure you have inside info that they were lying, right? I mean who would want to learn from two NBA Hall of Famers? That's just crazy talk.

pmg911

« Reply #231 on: July 17, 2018, 09:48:21 AM »
While I would love to have a coach like Mike Rice on staff, it would be a VERY risky move to not have a diverse make up to the staff

Right, wrong or indifferent, it's an optic that can't not be ignored and all high level coaches are clearly aware it.

While it might be the right decision purely in terms of basketball coaching, I would highly doubt that St. John's goes into the season with no diversity on the staff.

SJU79

« Reply #232 on: July 17, 2018, 10:22:25 AM »

We have one black coach in a sport that is 90% black. That one black coach happens to be an NBA Hall of Famer whose presence and potential tutelage has been cited as a factor for all of our players to commit. But I'm sure you have inside info that they were lying, right? I mean who would want to learn from two NBA Hall of Famers? That's just crazy talk.
Agreed that having a diverse coaching staff is imperative.. the rest is ignorant and arrogant. Congrats your pure stupidity has reached a zenith. If anyone would like to chat I'll continue to enjoy my pm conversations. As an aside Ponds would 100% not have been drafted nor given a 2-way g league deal.. and no 98% of these kids have NO idea who Mitch is..FACT... and Mitch has done literally Nothing to bring in a single kid

ras

« Reply #233 on: July 17, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »

Agreed that having a diverse coaching staff is imperative.. the rest is ignorant and arrogant. Congrats your pure stupidity has reached a zenith. If anyone would like to chat I'll continue to enjoy my pm conversations. As an aside Ponds would 100% not have been drafted nor given a 2-way g league deal.. and no 98% of these kids have NO idea who Mitch is..FACT... and Mitch has done literally Nothing to bring in a single kid
  I want the best staff we could get regardless of race. But, I think opposing coaches will point out that we have no black coaches , if that comes to pass, and it might be a problem. That said. I would swap Rice for Mitch in a heart beat.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:51:36 AM by ras »

TONYD3

« Reply #234 on: July 17, 2018, 12:11:13 PM »
Crazy thought- replace Mitch with a qualified black coach.

« Reply #235 on: July 17, 2018, 12:21:18 PM »
I just can't see having a second hall of fame coach as a detriment.

pmg911

« Reply #236 on: July 17, 2018, 12:56:43 PM »

Nothing crazy about that BUT we need someone that can help with players too...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 12:58:34 PM by pmg911 »

TONYD3

« Reply #237 on: July 17, 2018, 01:15:40 PM »

We have been arguing for awhile. I think our coach has been lax and had made plenty of poor choices due to inexperience. His staff, in my opinion has been his biggest shortcoming.
Louis Orr or someone willing to work and has some high level coaching experience wouldn’t be better.
You will get your wish. Mullin is back . Most likely Richmond also. We have talent next year. A Lavin season is possible. THEN WHAT?

sju89tr

« Reply #238 on: July 17, 2018, 01:19:46 PM »

We have been arguing for awhile. I think our coach has been lax and had made plenty of poor choices due to inexperience. His staff, in my opinion has been his biggest shortcoming.
Louis Orr or someone willing to work and has some high level coaching experience wouldn’t be better.
You will get your wish. Mullin is back . Most likely Richmond also. We have talent next year. A Lavin season is possible. THEN WHAT?

It's still hard to criticize Mullin because he is Mullin but no doubt he needs to replace Mitch with Rice or a guy like Orr because he needs someone to help coach as well as be a factor on the recruiting circuit to help Matt. I am not in the camp of bashing St. Jean because I feel he has a real bright future and has definite pedigree,

pmg911

« Reply #239 on: July 17, 2018, 01:22:51 PM »

Wait a second, you don't think someone like Louis Orr would have been a good hire..?

He checks almost every box you would need checked.

Ran own program - done
Add diversity - done
NCAA experience - done
Good coach - done

The guy was by far Ewing's best hire   

You make it seem like "my wish" of Mullin being back was ever in question. There was never any doubt about that.

I just want to see St. John's have a successful program again in my lifetime...