Corruption Probe in the Recruiting Ranks

• 189 replies

Foad

Re: Corruption Probe in the Recruiting Ranks
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2017, 03:54:25 PM »
Wasn't there an article once that stated Obekpa's recruitment was one of the dirtiest at the time?

That was just some jealous loser's attempt to slander Coach Lavs.

SJUFAN

« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2017, 05:42:45 PM »
So wait...only now that there is an FBI investigation that caused Pitino to lose his job over we are going to throw him under the bus? College sports is a dirty business, with or without the arrests. When Mullin leaves, Pitino would be my first phone call. If you don't think rat face isn't doing the same thing your fooling yourselves. Some years ago they "changed" their strategy and began "recruiting" one and done players. Are you kidding me? So you think a kid is going to turn down a $100k from "other" programs just to play for rat face for one year? Wake up. They got caught, good for them and better for us. Pitino is a great coach and as long as the institution (which we won't) doesn't support those antics he would do excellent here.

Some programs don't need to cheat. One and done  players would seem less likely to take money. They only have to go from September until March without extra $, and can get a big advance from an agent or endorsement the minute the season ends.

The one and done players are the one's with the talent that big money schools and agents are competing for. They are the one's the handlers are trying to cash in on, not the 3 star prospect, although there may even be a market for them as well. While many may have the intentions of "only" having to go September until March, most have already gone 18 years without and will gladly take what is being offered especially when seemingly everyone is doing it. 

Marillac

« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2017, 07:46:11 PM »
So wait...only now that there is an FBI investigation that caused Pitino to lose his job over we are going to throw him under the bus? College sports is a dirty business, with or without the arrests. When Mullin leaves, Pitino would be my first phone call. If you don't think rat face isn't doing the same thing your fooling yourselves. Some years ago they "changed" their strategy and began "recruiting" one and done players. Are you kidding me? So you think a kid is going to turn down a $100k from "other" programs just to play for rat face for one year? Wake up. They got caught, good for them and better for us. Pitino is a great coach and as long as the institution (which we won't) doesn't support those antics he would do excellent here.

Some programs don't need to cheat. One and done  players would seem less likely to take money. They only have to go from September until March without extra $, and can get a big advance from an agent or endorsement the minute the season ends.

The one and done players are the one's with the talent that big money schools and agents are competing for. They are the one's the handlers are trying to cash in on, not the 3 star prospect, although there may even be a market for them as well. While many may have the intentions of "only" having to go September until March, most have already gone 18 years without and will gladly take what is being offered especially when seemingly everyone is doing it. 

The one and dones  have more to lose too. I'm not suggesting teams cheat for three star players, but there is a sweet spot around 25-75 in  player rankings where you get top talent that is likely to play 2-4 years. I just don't see the risk being worth it for these kids and their family as well as the school. I'm sure it happens, but I'd be surprised if it was widespread.

SJUFAN

« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2017, 11:00:56 PM »

The one and dones  have more to lose too. I'm not suggesting teams cheat for three star players, but there is a sweet spot around 25-75 in  player rankings where you get top talent that is likely to play 2-4 years. I just don't see the risk being worth it for these kids and their family as well as the school. I'm sure it happens, but I'd be surprised if it was widespread.

Your being too rational in an irrational world. These kids have been pampered and given everything they want for so long they develop a sense of invincibility. They can't even begin to measure risk. The people that are suppose to be looking out for them are to busy trying to leverage opportunity for themselves. In any event, this levels the playing field for the time being, and allows relationships to dictate players choice opposed to the mighty dollar. We have a short window to develop a winning culture before business as usual.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:01:24 PM by SJUFAN »

pmg911

« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2017, 09:41:05 AM »
I was just thinking, Daves been very quite since this broke.

noticed that too

Poison

« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2017, 01:42:03 PM »
Wasn't there an article once that stated Obekpa's recruitment was one of the dirtiest at the time?

Has a Lav program ever been put on probation because how he ran it?

« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2017, 02:20:54 PM »
It was versus Cincinnati for Obekpa's services and I believe Book Richardson was on the staff at that time for Cincinnati.

« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2017, 02:21:22 PM »
I doubt it any way, especially when we made Sampson, Garrett, and Pelle ineligible.

Tha Kid

« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2017, 02:46:21 PM »
It was versus Cincinnati for Obekpa's services and I believe Book Richardson was on the staff at that time for Cincinnati.

Book has been working for Sean Miller for 11 years, so think you are wrong on this one.
"I drink and I know things"

wpc77

« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2017, 03:40:21 PM »

Book has been working for Sean Miller for 11 years, so think you are wrong on this one.

Correct, "Book" was with Miller at Xavier for a few years not Cincy

Tha Kid

« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2017, 03:41:08 PM »

Correct, "Book" was with Miller at Xavier for a few years not Cincy

Not to mention he was already at Arizona by the time of the Obekpa recruitment.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:41:25 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

paultzman

« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2017, 03:56:41 PM »
No, Darren Savino was the recruiter at Cincy pursuing Obekpa

Marillac

« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2017, 08:01:30 PM »
How are Sean Miller and the other head coaches whose assistants were arrested still working? At the very least they should have been placed on administrative leave, no? Book was Miller's lead recruiter for a decade at two different schools.

« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2017, 09:29:43 PM »
Good point. You really have to hand it to Preet Bahara, this investigation supposedly started two years ago on his watch. He prosecuted Sheldon Silver, Dean Skelos, Christopher St Lawrence, the Hasidics with the computer equipment, and this college basketball pay-for-play.

That guy worked.

goredmen

« Reply #137 on: September 29, 2017, 10:22:23 PM »
How are Sean Miller and the other head coaches whose assistants were arrested still working? At the very least they should have been placed on administrative leave, no? Book was Miller's lead recruiter for a decade at two different schools.

It's amazing really. I know stuff like this moves kind of slow but with practices starting how can they hold on to these coaches? Even if the head coach claims he didn't know what his assistants were doing (which is ridiculous in and of itself) the head coach is responsible for what happens on his watch and are just admitting to being completely and almost willingly incompetent.

This year's NCAA tournament will be interesting. Realistically anywhere from 10-50 programs can/should be ineligible. If a team like Arizona is in the tournament this year it will just look like a joke

Foad

« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2017, 08:14:52 AM »

Has a Lav program ever been put on probation because how he ran it?

No, he gets fired for sucking long before that's an issue. I doubt he was aware of any improprieties that might have occurred while he was on staff at UCLA that got Harrick fired and he didn't ask Sam Gilbert to be best man at his wedding so no doubt he's clean. Anyway I wasn't saying anything about Coach Lav's ethics so I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to slam him gratuitously as a lazy bloated vacuous incompetent buffoon.