J'Raan Brooks - 6'8" - PF - Seattle, WA (Garfield High)

• 305 replies
Re: J'Raan Brooks - 6'8" - PF - Seattle, WA (Garfield High) - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #240 on: February 10, 2018, 04:32:31 PM »
Good riddance. Don't want guys coming here who don't really want to be here.... See Sid Wilson.

A "good riddance" post for a top 100 recruit who has committed to us all because one poster posted "shaky" is vintage Johnny Jungle.

Better now then a month before the year, or during the season.

All of that assumption based on "shaky".
Agree to an extent but my reading of Paultzman's comment was that he is very unlikely to be coming but Paultz wanted to let us all down gently.

ras

« Reply #241 on: February 10, 2018, 04:34:57 PM »
Not one poster, Paultzman.  Also no tweet by  his mother after the Nova win or today’s game. I am concerned. Let’s hope we finish strong and can keep him. He has a real inside game. I’m not counting on him, however.

« Reply #242 on: February 10, 2018, 04:49:56 PM »
Good riddance. Don't want guys coming here who don't really want to be here.... See Sid Wilson.

A "good riddance" post for a top 100 recruit who has committed to us all because one poster posted "shaky" is vintage Johnny Jungle.

Agree to an extent but my reading of Paultzman's comment was that he is very unlikely to be coming but Paultz wanted to let us all down gently.

I don't have any inside knowledge to refute the claim that him coming to campus is doubtful/unlikely/up in the air. My point, however, is that we shouldn't be saying good riddance to a top 100 recruit based on rumor. Who would blame someone having doubts about a program that went 0-11? How many posters on this very board said Mullin should be fired? I'd love for him to come here and would be very disappointed if he isn't, anyone else who wouldn't be is foolish.

« Reply #243 on: February 10, 2018, 04:51:35 PM »

I don't have any inside knowledge to refute the claim that him coming to campus is doubtful/unlikely/up in the air. My point, however, is that we shouldn't be saying good riddance to a top 100 recruit based on rumor. Who would blame someone having doubts about a program that went 0-11? How many posters on this very board said Mullin should be fired? I'd love for him to come here and would be very disappointed if he isn't, anyone else who wouldn't be is foolish.
Agree

goredmen

« Reply #244 on: February 10, 2018, 04:55:49 PM »
Just have to hope for the best here. Long long way away from knowing what the roster will look like next year. At this point the only guarantees to be here are Simon, Dixon, Keita, Diakite, Williams, and Roberts. On top of that nobody is guaranteed to be gone other than Ahmed and Amar (and probably Lovett).

Sure, we might lose Brooks, but we might gain somebody that is not even on our radar at this point. Could be via grad transfer or JuCo or whatever. A coach might get fired or leave somewhere forcing a recruit to reconsider his options. Trimble was set to go to FSU and wasn't even on our radar until FSU got a late committment from a 5 star kid at his position and he decided to open up and pop for us.

Let's just hope the staff is able to capitalize on the momentum and buzz around the program has garnered the last 7 days

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #245 on: February 10, 2018, 05:17:38 PM »

If he wants to be here I'd love to have him, but how many times have we been left at the altar by recruits? Need some stability can't afford another Sid Wilson situation, or in season departure (basically Lovett) to derail our season. If he doesn't wanna be here onto the next one. Like another poster said there will be opportunities with other recruits not even on our radar right now.

ras

« Reply #246 on: February 10, 2018, 05:37:21 PM »
Let’s hope we retain our core players, anything else is gravy. I’m sure staff is looking for back up options. If we can keep on winning, we will look better to recruits.

Poison

« Reply #247 on: February 10, 2018, 05:46:12 PM »
A verbal commitment is meaningless. He should sign a LOI. Once that happens it’s a contract and then he can change his mind all he wants and be told a simple and firm no. Like Sid Wilson should have been told.

« Reply #248 on: February 10, 2018, 06:59:17 PM »
A verbal commitment is meaningless. He should sign a LOI. Once that happens it’s a contract and then he can change his mind all he wants and be told a simple and firm no. Like Sid Wilson should have been told.
Have you ever heard of signing periods?

Poison

« Reply #249 on: February 11, 2018, 10:58:15 AM »
Have you ever heard of signing periods?

Yes. And at that point you can dance in the streets if you feel like it. Until then their commitment is as serious as that of a 16 year old girl crush.

« Reply #250 on: February 11, 2018, 11:06:35 AM »

If he wants to be here I'd love to have him, but how many times have we been left at the altar by recruits? Need some stability can't afford another Sid Wilson situation, or in season departure (basically Lovett) to derail our season. If he doesn't wanna be here onto the next one. Like another poster said there will be opportunities with other recruits not even on our radar right now.

If an assistant coach in D1 basketball had your mindset, they'd accept almost zero commitments.

paultzman

« Reply #251 on: February 11, 2018, 11:15:48 AM »

No harm in staff flying out there to see Brooks & family to try to get this back on track. You never know.

« Reply #252 on: February 11, 2018, 11:28:19 AM »
He's worth the extra effort and the coaches can now show him the potential of the program again.

I would not blame a kid who's Top 100 and can play practically everywhere, committed to a program across the country see a team go 0-11 and have second thoughts. Unless you've gone to this school or your parent is an alumnus, it's mindboggling to expect any young person to have loyalty to St. John's or a sense of love for the program. We've basically sucked for the past 17 years.

I can't say I'm hopeful, but there's certainly quite a bit for the staff to tell this kid (i.e. his clear starting role, NYC, the depth of next year's roster, Owens' improvement, and a run in the NCAA being the expectation)

Tiger

« Reply #253 on: February 11, 2018, 12:37:57 PM »
Is there any money in the budget for one more visit by the staff?  Might be a good time to show the family some love...

Poison

« Reply #254 on: February 11, 2018, 12:38:22 PM »
Shouldn’t he be blamed for changing his mind? A verbal commitment isn’t a contract, but it’s still your word. If you’re not ready to make a decision all you have to do is shut up.

Plenty of kids pull this crap. Doug Wiggins did it to St.John’s and Moe Harkness did it to Uconn. It’s why I don’t think a school should ever let a kid out of his LOI.

« Reply #255 on: February 11, 2018, 12:44:09 PM »

No harm in staff flying out there to see Brooks & family to try to get this back on track. You never know.

That’s the key question. If they are, then maybe it’s not too far gone

« Reply #256 on: February 11, 2018, 01:08:12 PM »
Have to recruit better in your own back yard.

Poison

« Reply #257 on: February 11, 2018, 01:38:26 PM »
He's worth the extra effort and the coaches can now show him the potential of the program again.

I would not blame a kid who's Top 100 and can play practically everywhere, committed to a program across the country see a team go 0-11 and have second thoughts. Unless you've gone to this school or your parent is an alumnus, it's mindboggling to expect any young person to have loyalty to St. John's or a sense of love for the program. We've basically sucked for the past 17 years.

I can't say I'm hopeful, but there's certainly quite a bit for the staff to tell this kid (i.e. his clear starting role, NYC, the depth of next year's roster, Owens' improvement, and a run in the NCAA being the expectation)

If it’s a starting role that is so important to him, let him have it. Tell him he’s a starter. And then when he gets here if he’s not ready to start, or not good enough to start, he won’t.

TONYD3

« Reply #258 on: February 11, 2018, 01:42:51 PM »

Some of you are very negative. We have not sucked for 8 days and counting. Hope this kid comes, but the only recuit or player that matters is Ponds. We need him back.

Pete88

« Reply #259 on: February 11, 2018, 01:58:53 PM »
Shouldn’t he be blamed for changing his mind? A verbal commitment isn’t a contract, but it’s still your word. If you’re not ready to make a decision all you have to do is shut up.

Plenty of kids pull this crap. Doug Wiggins did it to St.John’s and Moe Harkness did it to Uconn. It’s why I don’t think a school should ever let a kid out of his LOI.

That's not very liberal of you.