Game 5: Oregon St.

• 220 replies
Re: Game 5: Oregon St.
« Reply #200 on: November 23, 2017, 11:52:11 PM »
Anyone know how I can watch a replay of the game? I had it set on my DVR. However, it didn't record correctly for some reason. I have Verizon Fios.

Espn3 app

« Reply #201 on: November 23, 2017, 11:59:35 PM »
We toughed it out against a team that is probably as talented as us.

Hope Ponds finds his shot soon.
Not sure that we'll ever get Ahmed to play within flow. Important for us. He is very good in rhythm. But has difficult time creating for himself.

Any win is a good win.

I think Ahmed is playing well. He's a gunner who's playing with much higher energy than last year. 13ppg in 25 mpg is great. What's even better is the defense.

I can live with a few bullish drives and forced shots.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #202 on: November 24, 2017, 12:13:43 AM »
Everybody saying in-game comments were overreactions and overly negative might be right but losing this game today would have been really brutal. If we had lost we would have had to play LBSU and then most likely Nebraska again and even with wins in both of those games we would have left Orlando with 0 top-100 wins. Instead, we picked up a win against a top-100 team and are guaranteed to play two more over the next two games.

I know it's a long season and all but if we want to take the next step this season we have to beat the 7th best team in a mediocre Pac 12 on a neutral court, and we did. And with the recent history of this program  there was no reason that was going to be the eventual outcome when we were down 10 with 9 minutes left

Marillac

« Reply #203 on: November 24, 2017, 01:03:34 AM »
Everybody saying in-game comments were overreactions and overly negative might be right but losing this game today would have been really brutal. If we had lost we would have had to play LBSU and then most likely Nebraska again and even with wins in both of those games we would have left Orlando with 0 top-100 wins. Instead, we picked up a win against a top-100 team and are guaranteed to play two more over the next two games.

I know it's a long season and all but if we want to take the next step this season we have to beat the 7th best team in a mediocre Pac 12 on a neutral court, and we did. And with the recent history of this program  there was no reason that was going to be the eventual outcome when we were down 10 with 9 minutes left

I completely agree. This tournament and our three games against Arizona St., Grand Canyon, and St. Joe's is our chance to dance. The margin of error is razor thin. There is no way we should have lost to Oregon St. round one. Nova and even Creighton and Xavier don't lose round one but it seems like no matter how loaded programs like SJU and SH, we can't break through games like these or in the dance.

« Reply #204 on: November 24, 2017, 01:19:38 AM »

Typically, I don't jump the gun.  But, the early-to-mid part of the second half had that feeling of last season.  So, I prematurely sensed we were done for today.  I also understand your post above. 

Fortunately, we pulled it out, and showed some gumption down the stretch.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 01:21:19 AM by mjdinkins »

TONYD3

« Reply #205 on: November 24, 2017, 02:32:08 AM »
Man a lot of you need to relax and drink a beer. This team is fun to watch. I think we are still a year  away, but I will enjoy this season. Marillac, TonyD and others are making this forum almost unreadable with the pessimism. I’m not going to get as high on this team as some on the board, but I’m also no going to sit around and bitch like most. Can’t wait to watch a few more games this weekend!
Very easy to comment after the team comes back and wins and say others are to negative. marallic  is usually always very positive. So far this season I think I have been very positive as well. This team plays really hard and is likable. I didn’t see the Rutgers game, it sounded awful. The seasons before were beyond awful.
 Hopefully we really improved. Losing today would have been bad, but we didn’t . This team besides being more talented looks different. We beat Nebraska and Oregon State (even though we didnt play that well) I feel really good about the team currently. I think we took a bunch of bad shots today, but we competed. That is why we won.
Looking forward until tomorrow. I don’t absolutely believe we have a real coach. But I like how the team is playing (I thought they looked shitty today). Winners bracket is harder. Better teams better coaches. If we give up 58 points in the 1st half tomorrow and we are taking bad shots, I will most certainly be negative. But that is not what I expect.
Coach Mullin deserves all respect so far!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 02:39:01 AM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #206 on: November 24, 2017, 07:41:35 AM »

Typically, I don't jump the gun.  But, the early-to-mid part of the second half had that feeling of last season.  So, I prematurely sensed we were done for today.  I also understand your post above. 

Fortunately, we pulled it out, and showed some gumption down the stretch.

I think it was natural to feel like we were toast. Oregon State was hitting everything and we botched a possession then they came back for a 4 point play I thought they were gonna fold.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Johnny23

« Reply #207 on: November 24, 2017, 07:50:19 AM »
Yakwe manned the F up last night. He needs to bottle that and keep it going.

« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2017, 09:45:49 AM »

Justin Simon has an awful handle and he is very unskilled on his finishes when he can't dunk or set his feet.

huh?  :idiot2:

MCNPA

« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2017, 09:57:35 AM »
Justin Simon has an awful handle and he is very unskilled on his finishes when he can't dunk or set his feet.

huh?  :idiot2:

Yeah I think this is ridiculous as well.  He has 18 assists to only 8 turnovers this season.  He's also an excellent passer and his handle gets him to the rim with ease.  Does he have things to work on? Sure,  but he's only a soph and didn't play much at all as a freshman at Az.

TONYD3

« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2017, 10:08:55 AM »
In game reactions is what the game thread is all about. Reading it hours later and commenting is kind of crazy.

« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2017, 10:25:45 AM »
This thread is tremendous

cjfish

« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2017, 10:33:31 AM »
F  all the negativity.....team is undefeated and doing what they should, beating up on the early schedule, winning by good margins.  The next two games will tell a lot for the remainder of the season.  I see a Missouri win and a good game in the championship round.

MCNPA

« Reply #213 on: November 24, 2017, 10:37:53 AM »
Big key is carrying our momentum along and winning today vs major conference opponent.  We need to play better offensively.  If we do, we can beat anybody.  We've been winning even with an offensive funk.  Gotta start putting both O and D together.  Even though one Porter is injured, his brother is 6'11" and will  be playing today.

« Reply #214 on: November 24, 2017, 10:42:40 AM »
Pointing out that your friends have egg on their faces is fun.  It's like heckling the refs.

« Reply #215 on: November 24, 2017, 10:44:56 AM »
In game reactions is what the game thread is all about. Reading it hours later and commenting is kind of crazy.

Yeah but you would comment like man that was a bad turnover by Simon not he has the worst handles.

« Reply #216 on: November 24, 2017, 10:55:24 AM »

Yeah but you would comment like man that was a bad turnover by Simon not he has the worst handles.

That was on Marillac trying to prove his point about Simon when he once stated (paraphrased), "his handle was poor" and he's not a point guard. 

In this extremely, early season, Simon is the best all-around player on the roster.  I didn't say the best player, but best overall player.  My only issue with him is he attempt to make these overly-acrobatic layups when a more simpler approach would likely garner points.

On the tipped dunk by Yakwe on LoVett's missed layup....  The same thing!  LoVett could've gone up with his right hand by simply going up, while slightly moving the ball away from the defender.  The defender would've likely gone past him and then an easy deuce.

I think the guards occasionally get too fancy on their layup's, while a less fancier attempt would do.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:00:00 AM by mjdinkins »

MCNPA

« Reply #217 on: November 24, 2017, 10:58:46 AM »

That was on Marillac trying to prove his point about Simon when he once stated (paraphrased), "his handle was poor" and he's not a point guard. 

In this extremely, early season, Simon is the best all-around player on the roster.  I didn't say the best player, but best overall player.  My only issue with him is he attempt to make this overly-acrobatic layups when a more simple approach would likely garner points.

On the tipped dunk by Yakwe on LoVett's missed layup....  The same thing!  LoVett could've gone up with his right hand by simply going up, while slightly moving the ball away from the defender.  The defender would've likely gone past him and then an easy deuce.

I think the guards occasionally get too fancy on their layup's, while a less fancier attempt would do.

Way too showy... if we are up big like against Nebraska it's fine.  I swear on a breakaway yesterday, Lovett instead of finishing an easy layup, tried to backboard-alley-oop it instead....  they need to just be a bit more mature and make the safe plays.

« Reply #218 on: November 24, 2017, 08:59:15 PM »
When Love it blew the backdoor bunny layup followed by the Oregon St. 4 point play I was having my doubts as well.

To overcome that key 6 pt. swing play was awesome.

Lubes 6 for 7 from the line was outstanding.
Waldens 15 for 15 was insane.

Marillac

« Reply #219 on: November 24, 2017, 09:11:00 PM »

He dribbles the ball at his chin and he had his pocket picked by the Molloy center one on one. He's a 1-2 dribble player in the half court and don't forget he is covered by forwards not guards. I think he's a very good passer but coach needs to find a way to get him the ball in ways doesn't have to dribble more than a few times to pass. I like him on the block. He had FIVE unforced turnovers today in the half court and he only took more then a few meaningful dribbles like ten times. Nearly all of his assists in the half court come off 0-2 dribbles. He's also very reckless finishing when he can't dunk...I don't mind that as much. I want Lovett setting guys up more and of course Ponds. After those those two the handles fall off a cliff.