Trust the Process

• 258 replies
Re: Trust the Process
« Reply #200 on: January 08, 2018, 01:22:54 PM »
I think if we don't make the tourney by the year after next Mullin steps down. And if that happens rather than going for another rebuild, I think the school should seriously consider joining a less competitive conference.

Just curious on thoughts - if a small Catholic school like Villanova can consistently be a Top 10 program in basketball, why can't St. john's...?

Found perfect coach that recruits to his style of play has been wildly successful and decided to stay.
Short answer Jay Wright 

« Reply #201 on: January 08, 2018, 01:36:21 PM »
There are absolutely coaches who could get this team on the tourney. You remind me of friends I had in high school when senior year we used to play tackle football and the guys thought they were tougher than the players on the high school football team and wanted to challenge them. Had to tell my buddies they would kill us because of how organized they would be. We go into games at a disadvantage because of coaching simple as that. Best thing Mullin could do for us is continue to have a staff recruit at a high level and then turn the reins over to a much more competent basketball coach.

Ok then what coach is ST John's University going to bring in that would get 5 BE quality players to the tourney. Don't bother answering because answer is no one. Again the fact that we only have 5 players is on Mullin and his little asst that everyone loves. And yes there are better coaches, but a 5 seed? Lavin? That is laughable.

Whether, it be a 5 seed or lower, or with Lavin or another coach....  There are coaches who can get this team to the NCAA Tournament or, at the least, have 'em on the bubble.

Mike Jarvis went 12-4 (25-8 overall) in the Big East, and won the conference totournament with essentially a 6-man rotation and no one over 6'8" in the lineup (Erick Barkley also missed 5 games during the season, which practically limited it a 5-man roster).

Barkley, Bootsy and Postell  are way better than Ponds, Simon and Ahmed.

Maybe, so.  But, it still was a short rotation.  That was the argument. 

Basically, the current short rotation has sufficient talent, but they have care blanche to do whatever on the offensive end and it can, at times, resemble a fire drill when teams have or group running around scrambling with sound ball movement on the defensive end. 

Some of y'all sound like a few Gamecock fans I know.  The SEC East is straight up trash, outside of Georgia.  But, some Gamecock fans believe it is good football with teams just beating up on one another in the East.  I know the difference between sports "cannibalism" and seeing a shitty product.

Do they have enough talent without LoVett?

Borderline with, absolutely not w/o.
I am sorry but I have said this before this season. Putting all your eggs on transfers is flawed and kind of lazy IMO.

Agree with you on depth but disagree with you on transfers.  Matt has done a nice job evaluating these kids hes brought in as transfers.  Simon is absolutely the goods, Tariq is performing very well and Marvin Clark is contributing.  Not a bust among those three.  Yes, we should have absolutely convinced either Darien Williams or Mussini to stay to have another body.  Amar's regression is pathetic but to me biggest issue of all is the in-game coaching, lack of adjustments and the lack of presence on the sideline from our head coach.

Greg St. Jean was given this position of power so what I'm about to say is not his fault, it's the fault of the person who decided to hire  him and if he is allowed to stick around with this much power, it will be the fault of the AD as well.  Greg St. Jean may be one of, if not THE most unqualified assistant coaches in the conference, and he certainly is the most unqualified that has this much power over the product we're seeing on the floor.  He came in to this job with absolutely no coaching experience and was given immense power over running huddles and practices. Mullin has grabbed the whiteboard more in huddles and has stopped sitting on the scorers table, but if you watch what happens on the sidelines and in timeouts you will see its still St. Jean that gives the majority of the direction.  I have also been told by people who have seen some practices that this is the case in practices as well. Mullin's body language on the sideline as well is not of one of someone who seems in command and he consistently reverts to getting on officials as his team is struggling.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

ras

« Reply #202 on: January 08, 2018, 02:43:49 PM »
I think we all can agree that the failure to have 1 assistant w exp on the staff, especially since Mullin had no exp., is a big mistake and should have been rectified this year.

paultzman

« Reply #203 on: January 08, 2018, 03:03:35 PM »
Per Zach B
St. John's had an extra-long team meeting yesterday, I'm told. Message was they aren't going to be anyone playing selfishly. Staff felt they were selfish at both ends of the floor. #sjubb

« Reply #204 on: January 08, 2018, 03:06:25 PM »
I think if we don't make the tourney by the year after next Mullin steps down. And if that happens rather than going for another rebuild, I think the school should seriously consider joining a less competitive conference.

Just curious on thoughts - if a small Catholic school like Villanova can consistently be a Top 10 program in basketball, why can't St. john's...?

Found perfect coach that recruits to his style of play has been wildly successful and decided to stay.
Short answer Jay Wright 
Exactly. Finally we agree on something. In college all things being fairly equal the head coach is the program.

wpc77

« Reply #205 on: January 08, 2018, 03:15:40 PM »
Per Zach B
St. John's had an extra-long team meeting yesterday, I'm told. Message was they aren't going to be anyone playing selfishly. Staff felt they were selfish at both ends of the floor. #sjubb

But, at the same time, someone selfishly resting a knee that others would be playing on by now is ok

« Reply #206 on: January 08, 2018, 03:31:29 PM »

Because we can't get a Jay Wright, a coach that knows wtf he's doing.

goredmen

« Reply #207 on: January 08, 2018, 03:32:43 PM »
Per Zach B

Too late

« Reply #208 on: January 08, 2018, 03:38:18 PM »
Per Zach B

But, at the same time, someone selfishly resting a knee that others would be playing on by now is ok

There are soft people in this world, Marcus is one of them.

« Reply #209 on: January 08, 2018, 03:48:11 PM »

As they say on Family Feud - GOOD ANSWER, GOOD ANSWER. It's not that we can't get a Jay Wright it's that we have never been bright enough too. Only guy I would have hired since Lou is FF.

« Reply #210 on: January 08, 2018, 03:58:22 PM »

As they say on Family Feud - GOOD ANSWER, GOOD ANSWER. It's not that we can't get a Jay Wright it's that we have never been bright enough too. Only guy I would have hired since Lou is FF.

They are not very many Jay Wright's! There are good coaches, better than Mullin, Lavin, Norm etcetera . But they probably would look to leave as soon as they had some success. We are in a tough spot.

« Reply #211 on: January 08, 2018, 04:01:48 PM »
There are absolutely coaches who could get this team on the tourney. You remind me of friends I had in high school when senior year we used to play tackle football and the guys thought they were tougher than the players on the high school football team and wanted to challenge them. Had to tell my buddies they would kill us because of how organized they would be. We go into games at a disadvantage because of coaching simple as that. Best thing Mullin could do for us is continue to have a staff recruit at a high level and then turn the reins over to a much more competent basketball coach.

Ok then what coach is ST John's University going to bring in that would get 5 BE quality players to the tourney. Don't bother answering because answer is no one. Again the fact that we only have 5 players is on Mullin and his little asst that everyone loves. And yes there are better coaches, but a 5 seed? Lavin? That is laughable.

Whether, it be a 5 seed or lower, or with Lavin or another coach....  There are coaches who can get this team to the NCAA Tournament or, at the least, have 'em on the bubble.

Mike Jarvis went 12-4 (25-8 overall) in the Big East, and won the conference totournament with essentially a 6-man rotation and no one over 6'8" in the lineup (Erick Barkley also missed 5 games during the season, which practically limited it a 5-man roster).

Basically, the current short rotation has sufficient talent, but they have care blanche to do whatever on the offensive end and it can, at times, resemble a fire drill when teams have or group running around scrambling with sound ball movement on the defensive end. 

Some of y'all sound like a few Gamecock fans I know.  The SEC East is straight up trash, outside of Georgia.  But, some Gamecock fans believe it is good football with teams just beating up on one another in the East.  I know the difference between sports "cannibalism" and seeing a shitty product.

I am sorry but I have said this before this season. Putting all your eggs on transfers is flawed and kind of lazy IMO.

Agree with you on depth but disagree with you on transfers.  Matt has done a nice job evaluating these kids hes brought in as transfers.  Simon is absolutely the goods, Tariq is performing very well and Marvin Clark is contributing.  Not a bust among those three.  Yes, we should have absolutely convinced either Darien Williams or Mussini to stay to have another body.  Amar's regression is pathetic but to me biggest issue of all is the in-game coaching, lack of adjustments and the lack of presence on the sideline from our head coach.

Greg St. Jean was given this position of power so what I'm about to say is not his fault, it's the fault of the person who decided to hire  him and if he is allowed to stick around with this much power, it will be the fault of the AD as well.  Greg St. Jean may be one of, if not THE most unqualified assistant coaches in the conference, and he certainly is the most unqualified that has this much power over the product we're seeing on the floor.  He came in to this job with absolutely no coaching experience and was given immense power over running huddles and practices. Mullin has grabbed the whiteboard more in huddles and has stopped sitting on the scorers table, but if you watch what happens on the sidelines and in timeouts you will see its still St. Jean that gives the majority of the direction.  I have also been told by people who have seen some practices that this is the case in practices as well. Mullin's body language on the sideline as well is not of one of someone who seems in command and he consistently reverts to getting on officials as his team is struggling.

You can get bye playing 5 or 6 if 3 of them are all league like Barkley, Postell and Bootsy. Plus Glover, Junior year Reggie Jessie and Chudney Gray were good players.

As far as transfer thing. I really like Simon and Owens and Clark though somewhat disappointing is solid. I am just saying that I wouldn't mind some solid HS recruits mixed in.

« Reply #212 on: January 08, 2018, 04:05:02 PM »

Theo Judge with the homerun out of the stadium

« Reply #213 on: January 08, 2018, 04:35:03 PM »

They are not very many Jay Wright's! There are good coaches, better than Mullin, Lavin, Norm etcetera . But they probably would look to leave as soon as they had some success. We are in a tough spot.
Didn't we have interest and almost hire JW before choosing Jarvis than missed opportunity the next time by year or two as Nova scooped him up and we hired Norm. So bad decision than bad timing. JW hasn't left Nova so why can't we hold on to a coach?

« Reply #214 on: January 08, 2018, 05:06:32 PM »

Didn't we have interest and almost hire JW before choosing Jarvis than missed opportunity the next time by year or two as Nova scooped him up and we hired Norm. So bad decision than bad timing. JW hasn't left Nova so why can't we hold on to a coach?

Was it before Jarvis or before Fran.
I thought Fran could have been Louie 2.0. Beside being a lunatic he was already looking to leave off modest success.
People will disagree but I think if we would have hired McKillop instead of Norm we would be a perennial 8 or 9 seed in the tourney. We would probably never make a sweet 16 but we would be competitive most years. I would have signed up for that.

Johnny23

« Reply #215 on: January 08, 2018, 05:18:45 PM »
It's not that hard. Mullin needs to bring in a real asst or two. Otherwise it will be hard.

« Reply #216 on: January 08, 2018, 09:04:45 PM »

I thought Fran could have been Louie 2.0. Beside being a lunatic he was already looking to leave off modest success.
People will disagree but I think if we would have hired McKillop instead of Norm we would be a perennial 8 or 9 seed in the tourney. We would probably never make a sweet 16 but we would be competitive most years. I would have signed up for that.

When Fran was hired Wright hadn't had a winning season at Hofstra yet (2 years in).  When Jarvis was hired Wright was coming off his first winning season, which likely wasn't enough to get serious consideration, though I think Maven was pushing him even back then.  Could be wrong.  When Jarvis should have been fired Wright was only two years into Nova but poaching coaches in conference would not have been a good look.  After Hatten saved Jarvis's job and he coached another few months the program was stained and Wright wouldn't have considered it anyway.  Agree on the McKillop point.

« Reply #217 on: January 08, 2018, 09:58:47 PM »

When Fran was hired Wright hadn't had a winning season at Hofstra yet (2 years in).  When Jarvis was hired Wright was coming off his first winning season, which likely wasn't enough to get serious consideration, though I think Maven was pushing him even back then.  Could be wrong.  When Jarvis should have been fired Wright was only two years into Nova but poaching coaches in conference would not have been a good look.  After Hatten saved Jarvis's job and he coached another few months the program was stained and Wright wouldn't have considered it anyway.  Agree on the McKillop point.

I believe Jay Wright was going to be the first choice in 2000, if Jarvis bolted for the Wizards (he had an offer), but he decided to stay in the end.

wpc77

« Reply #218 on: January 08, 2018, 10:17:51 PM »

I believe Jay Wright was going to be the first choice in 2000, if Jarvis bolted for the Wizards (he had an offer), but he decided to stay in the end.

Good memory (see below link).  Jarvis was being treated like royalty by boosters at the time, free dinners, club visits, cases of booze, etc, and he personally wasn't lifting a finger in recruiting, so...

https://nypost.com/2000/05/22/no-deal-in-place-for-jarvis-wizards/

« Reply #219 on: January 09, 2018, 10:43:28 AM »
they probably need to go 10-7 the rest of the way to make the tournament.  if you call the 5 games against xavier, duke, and nova losses, then they have to go 10-2 against the rest of the schedule (this also assumes a 1-1 record in the BE tourny, so it's really 9-1 in the rest of the conference schedule).  I don't see how that's possible.  they really needed to beat depaul and providence at home, or split at the very least.  If this is another lost season they have to think about making a coaching change after next season.  mullin was supposed to be an upgrade from lavin who made 2 ncaa and 2 nit in 5 years, and it just doesn't look like that's going to happen unfortunately.