Trust the Process

• 258 replies

Poison

Re: Trust the Process
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2018, 12:41:21 PM »
Depth isn't a secondary issue when Amar is playing 10+ minutes two games in a row.
We didn’t get blown out yesterday at home because of Amar.

It was absolutely part of it. He gives the opposing team more points than any player we’ve ever had. It’s one aspect of the staff’s carelessness in assembling this roster. After Mullin’s first year, Amar announced he would transfer, and this braintrust brought him back.

TONYD3

« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2018, 12:56:46 PM »
Depth isn't a secondary issue when Amar is playing 10+ minutes two games in a row.
We didn’t get blown out yesterday at home because of Amar.

It was absolutely part of it. He gives the opposing team more points than any player we’ve ever had. It’s one aspect of the staff’s carelessness in assembling this roster. After Mullin’s first year, Amar announced he would transfer, and this braintrust brought him back.
Amar sucking is on him. Amar still on the team and providing nothing positive is on the staff. The kid is big and decent athlete. He should be able to do something. He checks into the game and really tries. He wants to do well. But he plays his game. He should have a specific role. And that role is not of a gunner.

« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2018, 01:17:36 PM »
Sense an assistant staff change will occur for next season, incorporating a guy with college experience.
The fact that Mullin has to be dragged kicking and screaming in year four to make a change says something about the Golden Boy. Saying this year is all about depth is BS if you can not see the short comings on what is going on out on the court. Sure we will be better with more depth and better talent but we will always be deficient and lacking in coaching unless Mo turns team over to an assistant who a good basketball coach. Mullin only good as a figure head and there have been plenty of successful head coaches that owe much to that valuable trusted assistants.

Does Mullin need to prove he can coach? Yep. But Greg Popovich and Coach K are not making the tourney with a bench of Yakwe, Amar and Trimble. Not to mention a team whose best player is a 6-1 guard who is shooting 38% and 19% from three.
Would we look better and maybe squeeze out another couple wins with a great coach? Again yep. But so what, the problem this year is depth. Which is also on Mullin and little Matt who for some reason is more untouchable on here than Chris Mullin.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:18:18 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2018, 02:15:23 PM »
Despite some of the known mistakes, and gaps tied to recruiting over the past three years, I believe Matt A gets more of a pass than than the others, as he's the only one who has experience at their role, and if he were to leave tomorrow, I don't think any of the staff would have the slightest clue where to pick up.

As for Matt's in-game activities, I'm not quite sure what to make of his role, other than sitting on the bench.  I really don't think he does much of anything there, but then again, if he's doing all the recruiting, I'd hope Mitch & St. Jean would be taking the bulk of the work during games.

It's all on Mullin, for all the inadequacies of this year... This is what he is paid to do.

Check out Sean MIller taking responsibility for his team yesterday/

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21987261/arizona-wildcats-coach-sean-miller-says-reach-struggling-team

"You always want your team to play for you as the coach, and our guys, they really struggled playing for me -- they really do," Miller said. "I can't get them to play hard. We do it for a while. I know we've had a win streak and we also have a good team. We have a lot of talent.

"With our team, it's really hard to get our guys to run as fast as they can. That's not them. That's me. I have a hard time reaching our guys. I can't reach them, I really can't.''

Same for Roy Williams yesterday

https://scout.com/college/north-carolina/Bolt/Roy-Williamss-Message-in-the-Locker-Room-After-UNCs-Loss-to-Virginia-113315307

“It was a big ‘ole butt kicking, that’s all it was," Williams said to start his press conference.
The loss was a combination of inept offense, excessive turnovers, and a lack of intensity. Williams, as usual, placed much of the blame on himself. "...we just act like we’ve never been coached so that falls onto me," he said. "I’ve got to do a better job of coaching this team. There’s not a heck of a lot more to say.”
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:20:08 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2018, 02:28:41 PM »
I think if we don't make the tourney by the year after next Mullin steps down. And if that happens rather than going for another rebuild, I think the school should seriously consider joining a less competitive conference.

TONYD3

« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2018, 02:32:44 PM »
I think if we don't make the tourney by the year after next Mullin steps down. And if that happens rather than going for another rebuild, I think the school should seriously consider joining a less competitive conference.
We stink because our coach doesn’t know what he is doing. We have very good big east players. We are going to continue to stink until we get a coach. If we brought in a coach today. We would immediately see improvement.

« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2018, 02:33:26 PM »
We are never going to be a top echelon school in conference with Mullin. He can bring in all the recruits he wants, college kids need to learn to play the gane hard and smart. No talent will over come those 2 facets of game. For the most part, Mullins teams have done neither in his time here.

« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2018, 02:33:43 PM »
We stink because our coach doesn’t know what he is doing. We have very good big east players. We are going to continue to stink until we get a coach. If we brought in a coach today. We would immediately see improvement.

We have made 2 NCAA tourney's in last 15 years. The program stinks.

« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2018, 02:34:24 PM »
We are never going to be a top echelon school in conference with Mullin. He can bring in all the recruits he wants, college kids need to learn to play the gane hard and smart. No talent will over come those 2 facets of game. For the most part, Mullins teams have done neither in his time here.

Jarvis, Norm, Lavin and Mullin. Roy Williams isn't coming here.
Either go mid major route or through a bunch of cash at Pitino and deal with repercussions of that. I would personally, but that is just me.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:36:14 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2018, 02:36:39 PM »
I think we all agree that Mullin has not shown flashes of brilliance in his coaching ability....I don't see see anyone disagreeing on this point.  I also don't see anyone disagreeing that an experienced assistant coach would help the process.  However, if John Wooden came back to life and was assisting yesterday he could not coach 40 additional pounds onto Owens to compete under the boards with Maric - a 6-11 250 pound bull who mentally is a center.  Every BE team has a strong center and at least one power forward. We are playing with 6 players right now who are either shooting guards or small forwards. You can not compete in this league with that type rotation!!!  The coaching staff could have done better in both the Providence game and yesterday,  but please do not tell me that we are more talented than anyone this year.  The three best players on the floor yesterday were Maric, Cain and Strus.
If the coaching staff can't win next year with a center (Keita) and two true power forwards (Brooks and Roberts) then it is all on them. They have done an outstanding job recruiting and getting the roster balanced next year. Now they need to coach them successfully.  Did anyone really expect more in year three when the first year they had Ron Mvouika, Durand Johnson and Mussini as stars? 

« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2018, 02:38:26 PM »
I think we all agree that Mullin has not shown flashes of brilliance in his coaching ability....I don't see see anyone disagreeing on this point.  I also don't see anyone disagreeing that an experienced assistant coach would help the process.  However, if John Wooden came back to life and was assisting yesterday he could not coach 40 additional pounds onto Owens to compete under the boards with Maric - a 6-11 250 pound bull who mentally is a center.  Every BE team has a strong center and at least one power forward. We are playing with 6 players right now who are either shooting guards or small forwards. You can not compete in this league with that type rotation!!!  The coaching staff could have done better in both the Providence game and yesterday,  but please do not tell me that we are more talented than anyone this year.  The three best players on the floor yesterday were Maric, Cain and Strus.
If the coaching staff can't win next year with a center (Keita) and two true power forwards (Brooks and Roberts) then it is all on them. They have done an outstanding job recruiting and getting the roster balanced next year. Now they need to coach them successfully.  Did anyone really expect more in year three when the first year they had Ron Mvouika, Durand Johnson and Mussini as stars? 

We will have transfers, kids leaving and ineligibility issues next year. Probably have 9 again.

Johnny23

« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2018, 02:39:15 PM »

There's no doubt about it. Agree wholeheartedly. First and foremost is the coaching. It doesn't matter if we go 12 deep if the coaching sucks and the 5 on the floor play helter skelter due to little coaching then the results will be the same. We definitely have Big East level talent. We need a real in-game coach.

« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2018, 02:39:19 PM »
Why not do some real home work and go out and get a qualified assistant who comes from a great pedigree? Assistants all over country are succeeding who come from elite coaches. Sju chooses to try to put bandaids on severe wounds by hiring shit coaches because they do not want for some reason to go out of circle of trust or do any real searching.

« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2018, 02:41:22 PM »

We will have transfers, kids leaving and ineligibility issues next year. Probably have 9 again.

But those 9 should be much better, and will be a lot more experienced, than this current 9.

« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2018, 02:45:18 PM »

But those 9 should be much better, and will be a lot more experienced, than this current 9.

If anyone transfers it will be Yakwe or Trimble.... That will be a positive, not a negative.

« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2018, 02:50:39 PM »

There's no doubt about it. Agree wholeheartedly. First and foremost is the coaching. It doesn't matter if we go 12 deep if the coaching sucks and the 5 on the floor play helter skelter due to little coaching then the results will be the same. We definitely have Big East level talent. We need a real in-game coach.

We full roster.  Coaching can improve of course.  But a full roster is paramount.

TONYD3

« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2018, 03:07:07 PM »
If we bring in experiences assistant . He will want to change everything. We don’t have have the worst staff in conference or the country. They are the worst in any major sport that I have ever seen. Oliver purnel’s depaul teams were close.
If all we did starting today was improve shot selection, Tariq, Amar, Trimble, and Simon no 3’s.
Demand that Marvin and ownes play in the post instead of the wings. Watch some film- no box out- no rebound.
I wonder what these guys do at practice. It is shocking how bad they are.
I am well aware you guys love Chris Mullin. What do you think about watching this team play? Did you listen to the announcers during the game? He didn’t want to bash mulllin, but it is so ovious why this team gets blown out.
Bring in a HS coach as a consultant, dramatic improvement immediately. Bring in anyone

« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2018, 03:08:29 PM »
You say we can not compete in the BE with our rotation and yet we were ultra competitive ON THE ROAD against two VERY GOOD BE teams in Seton Hall and Creighton. Don't tell me a good coach couldn't have gotten us over the hump in those games ie. not have Amar out there hoisting up 3s.

« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2018, 03:25:00 PM »
You say we can not compete in the BE with our rotation and yet we were ultra competitive ON THE ROAD against two VERY GOOD BE teams in Seton Hall and Creighton. Don't tell me a good coach couldn't have gotten us over the hump in those games ie. not have Amar out there hoisting up 3s.

Everyone is allowed to shoot 3's.  Wherever and whenever they wanna hoist up one.  The only one who doesn't shoot 'em is Yakwe, and that's because he knows his limitatations.  Simon takes 'em every now and again (who can hit 'em when wide open and set).  Everyone else has the green light to jack 'em up.

« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2018, 03:26:05 PM »
Imagine the whining you dobags would be doing if we had the talent of duke and we lost to bc and nc state. I guess coach K sucks since he has more talent than either of those teams.