Trust the Process

• 258 replies
Re: Trust the Process
« Reply #220 on: January 09, 2018, 10:51:44 AM »
Not sure how anyone who knows basketball could think that Mullin with zero coaching ability, was an upgrade from Lavin.  Changes needed to be made for sure, not cause of what was happening on the court, but because Lavin had shown he had all but given up on making SJU a long term success with him as a coach. 

My hope is that Mullin steps down after next year, unless he cans his band of misfits assistant coaches.  Excluding Matty A.

« Reply #221 on: January 09, 2018, 10:52:59 AM »
Not sure how anyone who knows basketball could think that Mullin with zero coaching ability, was an upgrade from Lavin.  Changes needed to be made for sure, not cause of what was happening on the court, but because Lavin had shown he had all but given up on making SJU a long term success with him as a coach. 

My hope is that Mullin steps down after next year, unless he cans his band of misfits assistant coaches.  Excluding Matty A.

Excluding Matt A? Why does he a pass?

« Reply #222 on: January 09, 2018, 10:55:57 AM »

Because he recruited 7 of the 8 guys that are eligible and they are so good that any other coach including Steve Lavin (despite what UCLA fans, those of us who watched him coach and Baron Davis may say) would have them in the Final Four.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:57:00 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #223 on: January 09, 2018, 10:59:24 AM »
Because the players he has brought in are good enough to win in the big east and with the exception of the AA debacle of him not being recruited over, the last two recruiting cycles have shown with time, he can bring in better talent to compete in Big East.

If only Mullin, would bring in better coaches, we might actually see Matty A's hard work pay off.

Johnny23

« Reply #224 on: January 09, 2018, 11:03:14 AM »

Because he's the only one doing his job. The guys who are supposed to handle the in-game coaching aren't doing theirs.

« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2018, 11:03:17 AM »
Because the players he has brought in are good enough to win in the big east and with the exception of the AA debacle of him not being recruited over, the last two recruiting cycles have shown with time, he can bring in better talent to compete in Big East.

If only Mullin, would bring in better coaches, we might actually see Matty A's hard work pay off.

The players he brought in are in last place

Johnny23

« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2018, 11:05:12 AM »

The players he brought in are in last place

Because they are trying to compete without being coached. Kinda hard to do.

« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2018, 11:06:02 AM »

Says who?
Again recruiting ultimately falls on Mullin as well but with Lovett this was maybe a bubble team.

Johnny23

« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2018, 11:08:48 AM »
Everything falls on Mullin. He's the CEO of the hoops program. However the CEO doesn't do all the day to day shit. He has qualified people under him who do that. This CEO has no executive team. It's just him and the worker bees and nobody managing them so business is taking a downturn.

« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2018, 11:22:34 AM »
Things have not gone well. Norm Roberts was given 5 years. Chris Mullin, Chris Mullin, Chris Mullin should be at least given that long. And besides who do you think will replace him? This has been a widely unsuccessful program basically since Louie retired.  There is a reason no one has liked any of the coaches we have hired since. You are not looking at the cream of the crop candidates.
How about rooting for the face of the program to turn things around? If we suck again next year, one way or the other he will be gone shortly thereafter. Then half of you will hate the next hire and all of us will hate him by year 2 or 3.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:23:28 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #230 on: January 09, 2018, 11:24:59 AM »
Things have not gone well. Norm Roberts was given 5 years. Chris Mullin, Chris Mullin, Chris Mullin should be at least given that long. And besides who do you think will replace him? This has been a widely unsuccessful program basically since Louie retired.  There is a reason no one has liked any of the coaches we have hired since. You are not looking at the cream of the crop candidates.
How about rooting for the face of the program to turn things around? If we suck again next year, one way or the other he will be gone shortly thereafter. Then half of you will hate the next hire and all of us will hate him by year 2 or 3.

Atlantic 10 move?

« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2018, 11:27:09 AM »

Atlantic 10 move?

I know you are doing this to bait people but I honestly think if Mullin doesn't work out that should be on the table.

« Reply #232 on: January 09, 2018, 11:36:38 AM »

Atlantic 10 move?

I know you are doing this to bait people but I honestly think if Mullin doesn't work out that should be on the table.
Then we would really suck without BE level affiliation to recruit with. Would rather suck in BE than a lesser conference. But we don't have to suck. I know some of you think because we have had such a long string of bad hires that it is just that no one can win here but I will NEVER believe that. If Mullin doesn't succeed still think we can get lucky and finally hire the right coach.

« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2018, 11:40:01 AM »

Atlantic 10 move?

Then we would really suck without BE level affiliation to recruit with. Would rather suck in BE than a lesser conference. But we don't have to suck. I know some of you think because we have had such a long string of bad hires that it is just that no one can win here but I will NEVER believe that. If Mullin doesn't succeed still think we can get lucky and finally hire the right coach.

I have been saying since Norm that instead of looking for a Grand Slam recruit or picking off transfer that couldn't play at better programs, that we should hire a coach that is going to play uptempo and recruit shooters. Recruit kids to fit your system. Adopt a mid major identity even if we stay in the Big East. But the quick fixes are not working.

« Reply #234 on: January 09, 2018, 11:44:35 AM »
If Mullin does not work out, no one will be surprised.  It was a gamble and a half, by an administration who saw $$ signs because the face of the program wanted to bring us back to relevancy.  There was little to no search once Mullin wanted to come on board.  Look at the leagues coaching salaries, other than Mullin, only a few other guys make 2 million or more, Cooley and Wright.  If the school is willing to pay Mullin more than 70% of the league, and make him one of the highest paid coaches, then they can figure out a way to bring in a qualified assistant from a top program to become HC at a competitive salary.

« Reply #235 on: January 09, 2018, 11:51:16 AM »

Says who?
Again recruiting ultimately falls on Mullin as well but with Lovett this was maybe a bubble team.

yes, it does fall on the HC, so if he can't recruit and can't coach then its time to move on.  I truly believe the issues with this team go beyond x's and o's and talent.  The way this team came out of the gate, to the past 4 games, I believe there are issues internally  off the court.  Guys seem disinterested and lacking focus.  I believe the Lovett injury (True or not) at this point has made the players think more about themselves than the team.

« Reply #236 on: January 09, 2018, 11:52:02 AM »
If Mullin does not work out, no one will be surprised.  It was a gamble and a half, by an administration who saw $$ signs because the face of the program wanted to bring us back to relevancy.  There was little to no search once Mullin wanted to come on board.  Look at the leagues coaching salaries, other than Mullin, only a few other guys make 2 million or more, Cooley and Wright.  If the school is willing to pay Mullin more than 70% of the league, and make him one of the highest paid coaches, then they can figure out a way to bring in a qualified assistant from a top program to become HC at a competitive salary.

And a qualified assistant at a top program will want to come here why?
Not sure school has resources to be competitive in major conference anymore. Which is why they took a gamble on Chris Mullin.

TONYD3

« Reply #237 on: January 09, 2018, 11:52:33 AM »
Going to the game tonight. I will be there plenty loud , rooting for our team and our coach. I have been most vocal about our coach since the beginning. Not because I want to hate, but from the the very first game some thing was way off. I held my thoughts as long as I could. A competent HS Jv Basketball staff from the PSAL doesn’t get blown out by st. Thomas.
If Chris Mullin wants to be our coach. He needs to be better. Why is that so hard?
And their are plenty of competent coaches who would take a million plus to coach here

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:53:09 AM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #238 on: January 09, 2018, 11:59:32 AM »

And a qualified assistant at a top program will want to come here why?
Not sure school has resources to be competitive in major conference anymore. Which is why they took a gamble on Chris Mullin.

SJU will always be a program that coaches see value in, especially a top assistant.  The school plays in one of the top conferences in the country, plays at the garden(which is still very important), offers a very competitive salary and IMO, next to salary being the most important, we are located in one of the most fertile recruiting territories in the country.   These guys are out there, and we do not need to look further than our own conference to see how they are succeeding. 

« Reply #239 on: January 09, 2018, 12:03:43 PM »
Going to the game tonight. I will be there plenty loud , rooting for our team and our coach. I have been most vocal about our coach since the beginning. Not because I want to hate, but from the the very first game some thing was way off. I held my thoughts as long as I could. A competent HS Jv Basketball staff from the PSAL doesn’t get blown out by st. Thomas.
If Chris Mullin wants to be our coach. He needs to be better. Why is that so hard?
And their are plenty of competent coaches who would take a million plus to coach here

Most of you on here are like little kids. Kids get a new toy or video game and are really happy. But the minute the game causes them some frustration they throw it on the floor and declare they hate it.
You guys turned on your toy after 2 and a half years. Might be a record. Especially considering who the coach is.
NO ONE since Louie has had the full support of the fan base but you guys still want the machine to keep humming along.

I am sure you guys will have a long honeymoon phase with Tim Cluess. Not sure how Baldi will play that one though.