Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies
Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #600 on: January 26, 2018, 09:19:53 AM »
I'd give my right arm to get paid millions doing a job in sports.

It'd be pretty funny if you gave up your right arm in exchange for getting paid a million dollars for doing a job in sports and the job was golfer.
https://youtu.be/KamCxYGzLjc

I got beat by two one armed golfers in my day.  One was a scratch golfer before a stroke, so that wasn't so bad.  The other?  I don't want to talk about it.
Could they out drive you?

Once played with a guy who did that Happy Gilmore drive thing. Ran up to the ball to hit it. Hit every fairway. Was really annoying

pmg911

« Reply #601 on: January 26, 2018, 10:06:03 AM »
I only wanted that part of your quote, but yeah I could of done a better showcasing that. 

Mullin is not going to land top notch players consistently for the reasons I stated above. 

Outside of first Lavin class (half of which were not eligible), you have to go back to Fran to find a ST John's coach that landed "top notch" talent.

2 1/3 of 9 = 50%?  Common Core Math is alive and well.

Who was the third of a player? Malik Boothe was a Norm recruit and that really is an unfair shot at his height.
I don't remember the exact number of recruits or who was eligible it was a guesstimate wise-ass. And whatever the actually number throw Lindsey in  there for not lasting 10 games .

Be fair, hyperbole can be hard.

Garrett presumably was the half. Pelle and Sampson the other two. Sanchez and Bourgault were iffy the next year. Rumor has it Jordan was going to be ineligible. Later there was the transcript hand off in the parking lot guy. Lavin cared about academics because some things are more important than winning when you're taking incremental or baby steps up the side or slope of the hill or mountain when you're looking to play your best basketball in February.

The one thing no one ever mentions regarding the Lavin era was the contrast in how he handled Jordan and Harrison.
He suspends Harrison for still unspecified infractions when it was going to be close in regards to us making the tourney. I know you thought he did that as almost a built in excuse. Now in fairness a couple of people have told me that he really was a pain in the butt but again odd timing.

Now contrast that with Jordan's handling.In a year where he was theoretically fighting for an extension he lets Jordan continue playing the while he stopped going to class and disappeared multiple times.

With Harrison he tried to come off as some kind of Father Flanagan when it suited his purpose but when he needed to win Jordan played.

When Harrison was suspended SJ was 16-12, having lost four of their last six in February when they're supposed to be playing their best ball, with these remaining four games: Providence on the road, #24 ND on the road, #15 marquette at home, and Villanova @MSG. Coincidence? Not bloody likely.

Oh the bright side LAvin did go on to win the one post season game of his storied career, beating mighty St Joe's. So there's that.

There's no coincidence that you're aware of.

I guess sort of. A coincidence requires two events to occur concurrently without any apparent connection. I'm postulating a connection between SJ losing a bunch of games and facing a bunch more losses and Harrison getting suspended so that Lavin would have an excuse for losing those games, 9 out of his last 11. Because otherwise he'd have to face up to the fact that he sucks. And in fact I think Lavin is so lacking in self-awareness that he might have sabotaged himself unconsciously while at the same time portraying himself in a sympathetic and heroic light. Because he's completely coo coo for cocoa puffs. It's true that if what I think is true is false then there was a coincidence of which I'm not aware. But as I said I find it unlikely that what I believe to be true is false, because if I thought it were false I wouldn't think it was true.

Don't forget Lavin's conscious act of self-sabotage when he suspended one of his 6 players and his only big at noon on selection Sunday. Still the one thing that makes me despise that guy

You think that was Lavin’s fault? Was it his weed? There’s this thing called the NCAA. They kinda say what goes. Obekpa failed a drug test. Lavin paid the price with his job. Mullin has recruited a kid that assaulted a police officer, a kid with a criminal record and a kid who changed his mind after he was already in classes at the school.

Mullin was brought here to bring the hard working NYC persona back to the school. I don’t see it anywhere in our style of play, and I certainly don’t see it from him.

Instead we have

Yeah, goredmen.  IIRC, Obekpa was suspended by the NCAA because he failed the piss test.  That had nothing to do with Lavin.

The only egregious (I wouldn't even call it that, either....  a bit of poor judgement) thing Lavin may have done leading up to the tournament was mentioning DJ Kennedy was done for the season a couple of days before the NCAA Tournament Selection Show.  It likely cost us a seed.  Instead of being a 5th seed, we ended up being a 6th seed.

You don't recall correctly. He was suspended by the team. The NCAA had nothing to do with it. And while it was assumed it was because of a failed drug test, there was no official statement confirming that. Just a "violation of team rules".

http://www.espn.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12488855/st-john-suspends-c-chris-obekpa-2-weeks-miss-postseason-games

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/031515aaa.html

I stand corrected.

I am pretty sure that if he had failed n NCAA mandated drug test v. school test, he would have been facing a 1 year suspension like Mitch McGarry was looking at..

« Reply #602 on: January 26, 2018, 11:18:26 AM »

It'd be pretty funny if you gave up your right arm in exchange for getting paid a million dollars for doing a job in sports and the job was golfer.

I got beat by two one armed golfers in my day.  One was a scratch golfer before a stroke, so that wasn't so bad.  The other?  I don't want to talk about it.

Once played with a guy who did that Happy Gilmore drive thing. Ran up to the ball to hit it. Hit every fairway. Was really annoying
As if golf isn't a maddening enough game already haha.  My clubs would've been thrown in the water by the third time he did it.

« Reply #603 on: January 26, 2018, 11:32:23 AM »

As if golf isn't a maddening enough game already haha.  My clubs would've been thrown in the water by the third time he did it.

Was crazy. Guy was not a good golfer just hit every fairway with that crazy drive. Over 250 too. Spring Meadow golf course down the shore in Jersey. My buddy and I both took a mulligan and tried it on 18th hole. Way right.

« Reply #604 on: January 26, 2018, 01:21:56 PM »

I was longer, they were immeasurably more accurate on the days we played.  LOL

FWIW the ex scratch guy had a great short game to boot.  Despite his condition he broke 90 with ease as I recall.  Twas a long time ago.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #605 on: January 27, 2018, 03:00:20 PM »
Everyone still thinking he deserves another year?.... this is just plain embarrassing.

Poison

« Reply #606 on: January 27, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »
Everyone still thinking he deserves another year?.... this is just plain embarrassing.

Rutgers gave Eddie Jordan 3 years. They didn’t need to see more from him.

« Reply #607 on: January 27, 2018, 03:08:49 PM »

Straw man argument.  Deserves or getting anyway are two different things...

« Reply #608 on: January 27, 2018, 03:10:59 PM »
The fact that he even got 6 years was embarrassing. Now he has the in game results to prove it.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #609 on: January 27, 2018, 03:17:23 PM »

This team has quit on him. Plain to see. I would be shocked if we didn’t lose at least 2 impact players  from this years roster for next season.  We didn’t think it could have gotten worse than Clyde Drexler at Houston, but CM has done it.

« Reply #610 on: January 27, 2018, 03:20:45 PM »

This team has quit on him. Plain to see. I would be shocked if we didn’t lose at least 2 impact players  from this years roster for next season.  We didn’t think it could have gotten worse than Clyde Drexler at Houston, but CM has done it.
Owens's and Pons

« Reply #611 on: January 27, 2018, 03:23:00 PM »

I can't believe anything actually shocks you.

But I don't think this team has any impact players so not sure how they could lose something they don't have...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 03:23:24 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #612 on: January 27, 2018, 03:24:00 PM »

You went to the well once too often with your straw man reference. There are plenty who actually do think he deserves not only one more year but multiple years and carmine thinks until he wants to leave. Think we can all agree though that Mullin's got em cookin!

« Reply #613 on: January 27, 2018, 03:24:47 PM »

You went to the well once too often with your straw man reference. There are plenty who actually do think he deserves not only one more year but multiple years and carmine thinks until he wants to leave. Think we can all agree though that Mullin's got em cookin!

Who?  On this board?

« Reply #614 on: January 27, 2018, 03:28:23 PM »

I can't believe anything actually shocks you.

But I don't think this team has any impact players so not sure how they could lose something they don't have...

Sju has zero x and o guys. Hard to really say how good these kids could be if they had someone around them who can maximize their talents and minimize their deficiencies. 

« Reply #615 on: January 27, 2018, 03:32:15 PM »

Who?  On this board?
YES! Already named Carmine, wasju, F$ckFoad. It is hardly unanimous unbelievably so.

« Reply #616 on: January 27, 2018, 03:33:46 PM »

Who?  On this board?
YES! Already named Carmine, wasju, F$ckFoad. It is hardly unanimous unbelievably so.

Lycidas, RedmenNYC and a few others whose name slips me now.

Heck!  I saw someone on Redmen who claimed we were (paraphrased) "moving in the right direction."
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 03:35:07 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #617 on: January 27, 2018, 03:35:44 PM »
I'm at the point that because of his arrogance and stubbornness I think Mullin deserves having his brains beat in. Maybe it will wake him the F up that his ways aren't working or maybe cause him to step down in the not too distant future.

« Reply #618 on: January 27, 2018, 03:40:10 PM »

Who?  On this board?

Well I must have missed it but I dont remember anyone saying he necessarily deserved it more than just accepting the fact a firing is not going to happen so the question is stupid and moot.

TONYD3

« Reply #619 on: January 27, 2018, 03:45:55 PM »
45-18. Arguing with refs