Game 21: Creighton

• 149 replies
Re: Game 21: Creighton
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2018, 10:54:58 PM »
Team and staff at least salvaged some pride tonight when Ponds went to the bench. That's about all I got.

« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2018, 10:55:18 PM »
Always have to be weary of guys who will graduate with eligibility remaining.

« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2018, 10:57:47 PM »
Really nothing else to say.  Close losses are not cause of depth for the most part. Just poorly coached and shot selection.   There is no doubt in my mind, a bunch of guys will leave end of year.

Which guys? This way, we can check your work when next season begins.

Owens and Ponds

Xavier

Abdelmassih

« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2018, 11:02:37 PM »

Couldn’t say who, cause it’s not something someone told me.  I’m saying that with the way this season has gone and Mullins track record, it’s a good bet that guys do not buy into the miraculous turnaround next season like we all would like to think.

I occasionally talk to kids, coaches, and parents (particularly, from the local high schools here in the area), and most aren't exactly easily fooled.  If we finish up at 0-18, then there will be a departure or two. 

I've stated it earlier, and will say it again....  negative recruiting is very real.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:03:38 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2018, 11:03:29 PM »
The team does do a good job not turning the ball over. Really the only reason they are able to keep most games close.

« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2018, 11:05:03 PM »
The team does do a good job not turning the ball over. Really the only reason they are able to keep most games close.

They do a solid job turning over the opposition.  But, they run the poorest fast breaks (ie, poor spacing, sloppy dribbling and passing, can't consistently hit layups), so too many times they come up empty.

« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2018, 11:11:17 PM »
Couldn’t say who, cause it’s not something someone told me.  I’m saying that with the way this season has gone and Mullins track record, it’s a good bet that guys do not buy into the miraculous turnaround next season like we all would like to think.

I occasionally talk to kids, coaches, and parents (particularly, from the local high schools here in the area), and most aren't exactly easily fooled.  If we finish up at 0-18, then there will be a departure or two. 

I've stated it earlier, and will say it again....  negative recruiting is very real.

Whatever Mullin has to do, along with Matty A, to keep these kids from transfering is first priority.   The day after the season ends, Mullin needs to fire the staff and go out and get 3 solid replacements, who know x and o’s and can recruit. There has to be no time lapse in between firings and hirings or the 19 class will be non existent-at least with kids who are impact players.

TONYD3

« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2018, 11:12:19 PM »

Whatever Mullin has to do, along with Matty A, to keep these kids from transfering is first priority.   The day after the season ends, Mullin needs to fire the staff and go out and get 3 solid replacements, who know x and o’s and can recruit. There has to be no time lapse in between firings and hirings or the 19 class will be non existent-at least with kids who are impact players.
That isn’t happening

« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2018, 11:13:14 PM »

I have no qualms about what you think should happen.  But, do you expect or trust him to make the right hires?

« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2018, 11:19:53 PM »

I have no qualms about what you think should happen.  But, do you expect or trust him to make the right hires?

I don’t, unfortunately because he will not go to the right people for advice, if any.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:20:27 PM by rdstr25 »

« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2018, 11:47:28 PM »
Simon is a really good basketball player. If he had a jumper...........
Dating myself but reminds me of Paul Pressey sr
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:48:48 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2018, 11:49:16 PM »

AND, could consistently finish a layup.  Otherwise, I agree with you.

« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2018, 11:52:55 PM »

Cmon both he and Ponds are not taking regular layups. Those are contested and Simon made really tough ones down the stretch. For a guy who can't shoot, and he has an awful looking jumper, he shot 7-14 and came in shooting 47%. I'd say he might be the most efficient bad shooter I can remember us having.
Team stinks, you don't like Mullin, I get it. Honestly Simon best thing about this year. And hopefully will have him 2 more years.

« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2018, 11:57:23 PM »

Cmon both he and Ponds are not taking regular layups. Those are contested and Simon made really tough ones down the stretch. For a guy who can't shoot, and he has an awful looking jumper, he shot 7-14 and came in shooting 47%. I'd say he might be the most efficient bad shooter I can remember us having.
Team stinks, you don't like Mullin, I get it. Honestly Simon best thing about this year. And hopefully will have him 2 more years.

C'mon, hell!  He can't shoot nor finish layups.  I've seen him miss routine layups or even being slightly bump and miss 'em.  I've been saying all season that he's a very mediocre finisher.  WTH does Ponds have to do with anything?  I've told you about these fallacies you use.

Dude....  For one, I don't hate anyone.  I also don't use my dislike or lack of trust in the coach to gauge a player or players on the team.  Simon is a good player, though.  I like Simon.  I've said as much since early in the season. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:58:15 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2018, 12:04:29 AM »

C'mon, hell!  He can't shoot nor finish layups.  I've seen him miss routine layups or even being slightly bump and miss 'em.  I've been saying all season that he's a very mediocre finisher.

Dude....  For one, I don't hate anyone.  I also don't use my dislike or lack of trust in the coach to gauge a player or players on the team.  Simon is a good player, though.  I like Simon.  I've said as much since early in the season. 

Don't feel like arguing but...
Can't make layups not a good shooter but somehow shooting a touch under 48% . That is pretty amazing. What shot is he making then?
This board hates stats. I got Marillac telling me a guy shoots 19% from three and 39% overall is Steph Curry and you telling me a guy mostly shoots mid range, floaters and drives to the basket  can't make layups despite shooting 48%.
This has been a bad year all around. Team stinks and posters are struggling.

« Reply #135 on: January 24, 2018, 12:09:11 AM »

C'mon, hell!  He can't shoot nor finish layups.  I've seen him miss routine layups or even being slightly bump and miss 'em.  I've been saying all season that he's a very mediocre finisher.

Don't feel like arguing but...
Can't make layups not a good shooter but somehow shooting a touch under 48% . That is pretty amazing. What shot is he making then?
This board hates stats. I got Marillac telling me a guy shoots 19% from three and 39% overall is Steph Curry and you telling me a guy mostly shoots mid range, floaters and drives to the basket  can't make layups despite shooting 48%.
This has been a bad year all around. Team stinks and posters are struggling.

So, what if he's shooting 48% while not being a good shooter and missing layups?  Just because he's shooting 48% doesn't mean he's not missing layups (fallacy).  Maybe, if he was consistently hitting layups, then he'd be shooting 50%.

Go argue with Marillac, as it seems your argument to this stems from your sparring with him.

« Reply #136 on: January 24, 2018, 12:22:26 AM »
If you know you are fouling right away why don't throw in Amar and a walkon in place of your guys with 3 or 4 fouls
Said exact same thing while at the game. We only had 4 team fouls and needed to commit 3 fouls to put them at the line for 1 and 1. We come out of a TO and no substitution is made and the first intentional foul was either Amed or Owens for their fourth foul. Trimble then commits the next two. So neither Mullin or his crack staff has a freaking clue about a move an fing idiot would know to make. But if you listen to the Mullin apologists coaching doesn't matter. At that point in the game you would sign up for overtime so why get your prime players in more foul trouble. Same thing at end of G'town game and Clark fouled out. So you know what F$CK Foad!

« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2018, 08:05:38 AM »
While I do think 0-9 is an anomaly, it doesn't make it hurt any less. Realistically I think we've played well enough to be 3-6 currently. However, you are what your record says.
I see three glaring issues with this team that unfortunately I don't see getting much better.

1.) Coaching. Mullin, Richmond, Etc look lost. They struggle throughout games, but during crunch time they fold just as bad as the players. The talent of our players keeps the games close, but most of these games, while the scores look competitive, the result was never in doubt. I get that they are all novice coaches, but I would have hoped to see more improvement 3 years in than what I've seen.

2.) None of our players have killer instinct. I hate to say it but Ponds is not cut out to be the leader of a winning team. Examples: behind the back passes for turnovers when the team is 0-7, and launching halfcourt 3s early in the shot clock when you're 0-8 out of frustration. He's far too nonchalant, and he hasnt shown me he really even cares about winning. Its almost like hes treating his time here as an audition for the NBA, nothing more. Talented, but give me Dwight Hardy or D'Angelo Harrison any day.

3.) Depth. It really kills us every game when Amar has to play. He would struggle for minutes at Siena but he's unfortunately a role player for us. This is one problem that potentially could improve with Keita, Roberts, Diakite coming on board, but I'm not banking on it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 08:06:33 AM by redstorm212 »

Foad

« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2018, 08:36:49 AM »
F$CK Foad!

Usually I enjoy it when people scream out my name in the dark but that didn't really do it for me. Maybe lay on your stomach, bite your pillow and try again.