1999-2000 Big East Champs Comparison

• 44 replies
Re: 1999-2000 Big East Champs Comparison
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »
That team had men. I think everyone was 20yrs and older and had played in last real great era of NYC basketball Public and Catholic School leagues. I hate Gonzaga to this day. This team more athletic but that team found ways to win. This team would be scared straight of them.

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2018, 05:35:27 PM »
That team had men. I think everyone was 20yrs and older and had played in last real great era of NYC basketball Public and Catholic School leagues. I hate Gonzaga to this day. This team more athletic but that team found ways to win. This team would be scared straight of them.

I think you mean the last era of great Catholic school basketball. Glover went to Rice, Barkley to Christ the King(and Maine Central Institute), Reggie Jessie went to Loughkin,  and Postell/Emanuel/Bootsy were all from out of state.

These days Public schools compete and beat the top Catholic schools in NYC which used to be unheard of. Ponds won the NY State and Federation titles.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 05:37:15 PM by Marillac »

Johnny23

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2018, 05:41:54 PM »
I think you mean the last era of great Catholic school basketball. Glover went to Rice, Barkley to Christ the King(and Maine Central Institute), Reggie Jessie went to Loughkin,  and Postell/Emanuel/Bootsy were all from out of state.

These days Public schools compete and beat the top Catholic schools in NYC which used to be unheard of. Ponds won the NY State and Federation titles.

To really put things in context, the days of great HS basketball teams in NYC are over and have been for a long time. The balance of power has shifted to New Jersey teams and from there to the rest of the country.

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2018, 06:13:22 PM »
Meant Catholic School, Christ the King, St Rays, All Hallows yup. Glover even as redshirt Trosh would eat Clark’s Lunch. Postell was a professional, great player. Bootsy could score, was off against Zags. We have not had a great pg since Barkley. He could score but was a pure pg. I watched Cook the next year only guy he made better was Willie Shaw.

Marillac

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2018, 09:52:17 AM »
To really put things in context, the days of great HS basketball teams in NYC are over and have been for a long time. The balance of power has shifted to New Jersey teams and from there to the rest of the country.

Meant Catholic School, Christ the King, St Rays, All Hallows yup. Glover even as redshirt Trosh would eat Clark’s Lunch. Postell was a professional, great player. Bootsy could score, was off against Zags. We have not had a great pg since Barkley. He could score but was a pure pg. I watched Cook the next year only guy he made better was Willie Shaw.

Ponds is a pure PG. He's just so talented and coordinated that he can score at will too. Have you ever seen someone take the ball from him when he wasn't showboating or trying to do something extemely difficult? Teams can't even press us with him.

And his vision and IQ? He sees the floor better than anyone I've ever seen at St. John's.

He could have scored 30 on the soph Barkley just like he embarrassed first round picks Brunson, Divencemzo, and the SG from Philly whose name I forget.

As a soph Barkley averaged 4.5 assists and 2.4 turnovers. Ponds is currently at 4.9 assists and just 1.8 turnovers.