SJU basketball is just irrelevant

• 13 replies
SJU basketball is just irrelevant
« on: December 16, 2007, 10:34:45 AM »
I know I am probably going to get attacked here but it is true.  Father Harrington does not care about having a winning team at SJU regardless of how it would bring in more applications and donation monies.  It is sad to think that a once great program is now relegated to being bottom-feeders in the BE.  A league that we pretty much started and owned. 

I know that we are "rebuilding" and that these things just don't work themselves out overnight, but damn...  Other schools have rebuilt faster and had some buzz about them when they were coming back up.  I don't see or hear any of this for us.  Granted, I live in Miami Beach, but I read all the online services and NY papers every morning..  I know how we have lost out on top talent in the NYC area.  I went to the Miami game two weeks ago and watched Norm get outcoached by a mediocre college coach.  Like the student body and alumni, the administration is now apathetic.  It is so sad..  First Father Harrington took our name, now he has taken our program..

The only way SJU will ever win again is to hire a big name that can coach and attract talent..  I like Norm a lot, but he can not get it done.  We need Calipari.  He would fill MSG up on a Tuesday night in late January and have the ESPN cameras there..  That is what we need but it will never happen.. 

Again, so sad.     

Tha Kid

Re: SJU basketball is just irrelevant
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 10:41:45 AM »
It is so sad..  First Father Harrington took our name, now he has taken our program..

...but he will never take our FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I drink and I know things"

Randomhero423

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 11:45:52 AM »
the bball players in my HS are aware of stj.  not really fans, but i know they would be if they won some games. 

nrb155

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 12:25:28 PM »
random.. what Dmason is trying to say, what ever hs you attend, they should not only be aware, but dying for the opportunity to play at STJ........forget roberts, id go right to the source, i want harry out, NOW

Randomhero423

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 12:32:38 PM »
random.. what Dmason is trying to say, what ever hs you attend, they should not only be aware, but dying for the opportunity to play at STJ........forget roberts, id go right to the source, i want harry out, NOW

father harrington is not the general manager of a basketball team.  he's done a good job for the university.  for the bball team he didn't, but the school itself is more important. 

the problem IS norm roberts.  if we had a name coach d1 players would want to play here.  (they would wanna play here 'cuz no one is a d1 prospect..)  i can guarantee if we had a name coach we could have even landed OJ MAYO.  he talked about how LA is a good place to advertise yourself....nothing beats NYC.

i've been rooting for norm and very patient with him.  but i've had enough.  he missed out on so many recruits ALREADY.  we're grasping for straws already.  not to mention we are now losing games to niagara and getting blown out by miami?  althoguh only 6 games into the season, it's not like we are a good team who can make a post season tourney... 

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 01:05:02 PM »
Its tough to keep pushing for Norm when he lays eggs like this one. The University MUST open the pursestrings and pull a rabbit out of the hat with the next hiring. The money earned from a winning program will offset the cost!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 03:36:11 PM »
Its tough to keep pushing for Norm when he lays eggs like this one. The University MUST open the pursestrings and pull a rabbit out of the hat with the next hiring. The money earned from a winning program will offset the cost!
It's not about the pursestrings-- though a team has to pony up some decent money for a coach, whether established or up and coming.  There are great coaches in the mid-major ranks just looking for the opportunity to coach in a fertile recruiting ground and in the Big Leagues.  I don't see St. John's dropping Huggins money or Tubby Smith money, let alone the cake it would take to bring Calipari in.  And Calipari?  No offense, but all of you guys have got to get off of that.  He's not leaving Memphis, and certainly not for this.

nrb155

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 04:43:56 PM »
are you kiddin...calapari would make this team work in 2 seasons..and he wants the nyc stage

pmg911

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 08:42:43 AM »

father harrington is not the general manager of a basketball team.  he's done a good job for the university.  for the bball team he didn't, but the school itself is more important. 

Random..  you are a high school junior or senior...    honestly.  what do you know of what Fr. Harrington has or has not done for the university ...?

You are right about one thing though... Fr. Harrington is not the general manager of the basketball program..   he is the general managers boss...

kjd01067

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 09:10:26 AM »

Random..  you are a high school junior or senior...    honestly.  what do you know of what Fr. Harrington has or has not done for the university ...?

You are right about one thing though... Fr. Harrington is not the general manager of the basketball program..   he is the general managers boss...

Not saying your wrong here PMG but what the hell is with the attacking of age?  Do you feel you are smarter and know more about basketball because your older than someone ???  From your posts I can see you have a good understanding of basketball but your no genius or guru and neither am I so lets take it easy on attacking people's age.

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 01:09:20 PM »

Not saying your wrong here PMG but what the hell is with the attacking of age?  Do you feel you are smarter and know more about basketball because your older than someone ???  From your posts I can see you have a good understanding of basketball but your no genius or guru and neither am I so lets take it easy on attacking people's age.

Has nothing to do with age. . and its not attacking...

But honestly..   what does a currently high school junior or senior know about Fr. Harrington's tenure @ SJU...   

You are a college student, if I remember correctly...      when you have been around anything for 30+ years...    you will understand what I am talking about....   

Age doesn't automatically equal knowledge...      I am sure that there are many topics that Random or yourself can talk circles around me on....

But for any current high school student to comment on what Fr. Harrington has or hasn't done at St. John's as President is like me commenting on what is a better social networking site..   Facebook or My Space...

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 01:23:25 PM »
PMG does bring up a point he has seen more and I don't think in this case he was attacking randomhero's age
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kjd01067

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 01:57:13 PM »

But honestly..   what does a currently high school junior or senior know about Fr. Harrington's tenure @ SJU...   

You are a college student, if I remember correctly...      when you have been around anything for 30+ years...    you will understand what I am talking about....   

Age doesn't automatically equal knowledge...      I am sure that there are many topics that Random or yourself can talk circles around me on....

But for any current high school student to comment on what Fr. Harrington has or hasn't done at St. John's as President is like me commenting on what is a better social networking site..   Facebook or My Space...

I totally agree PMG. It seemed to me like you were attacking his age a little bit, but with further explaination I see where your coming from.

pmg911

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 02:12:15 PM »

I totally agree PMG. It seemed to me like you were attacking his age a little bit, but with further explaination I see where your coming from.

and for the record..   Randon hero is my guy..    we are boths sons of Xavier..!!!!