Vince Cole

• 37 replies
Vince Cole
« on: May 26, 2020, 06:42:14 PM »
Vince Cole is going to be an absolute stud next year for us. I say he'll be able to replace LJ easily. I did an interview with Cole just last night. Add me on twitter @ogdylankelly and check out the article with my interview with Cole.

https://sidelinesports.report/2020/05/26/interview-with-st-johns-recruit-vince-cole/

Marillac

Re: Vince Cole
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 10:38:10 AM »
I am not in love with an over-reliance on JUCOs but I do really like this kid.

When he was first signed I thought there was no way he could replace Heron, but I’ve done a complete 180 after getting a better feel for Andeson and his style.

16.5 points, 5.3 boards, and 1.8 assists is my official prediction as the roster stands now.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 10:45:20 AM »
I hope he can be as good as Bashir Ahmed. I don't know a thing about Cole but he has good size and is known to be a scorer.

The pool of schools that recruited him are very mid major minus which is scary.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 12:03:41 PM »
I hope he can be as good as Bashir Ahmed. I don't know a thing about Cole but he has good size and is known to be a scorer.

Bashir Ahmed was not the guy we thought are were getting. He was like an out of control, less poised DJ Kennedy. I'm hoping that the core of Earlington, Williams, Caraher, Roberts and Champagne all take a step forward. That's our best bet.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 01:05:38 PM »
I am not in love with an over-reliance on JUCOs but I do really like this kid.

When he was first signed I thought there was no way he could replace Heron, but I’ve done a complete 180 after getting a better feel for Andeson and his style.

16.5 points, 5.3 boards, and 1.8 assists is my official prediction as the roster stands now.

That would be great!!

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 01:25:40 PM »
Bashir Ahmed was not the guy we thought are were getting. He was like an out of control, less poised DJ Kennedy. I'm hoping that the core of Earlington, Williams, Caraher, Roberts and Champagne all take a step forward. That's our best bet.

Bash still dropped 20pts some games. He was capable. He wasn't great but he had some great moments. Honestly if Cole can be great at times I think that's a huge win.

Johnny23

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 03:29:28 PM »

Ahmed was a kamikaze most of the time and out of control. Cole's game and composure look much different than Ahmed's. Hopefully his skill set translates at this level because if so he'll be a valuable addition.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 03:47:02 PM »
Ahmed was a kamikaze most of the time and out of control. Cole's game and composure look much different than Ahmed's. Hopefully his skill set translates at this level because if so he'll be a valuable addition.

Let this sink in for a second...

St. John's beat out Cincinnati, Oregon, Oklahoma State, Texas and Louisville for Bashir Ahmed.

St. John's beat out Charlotte, Tennessee Tech, College of Charleston, Georgia Southern, ETSU, Buffalo, Texas Tech, Akron, San Jose State, Coastal Carolina, and Norfolk State for Vincent Cole

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 03:57:18 PM »

St. John's beat out Cincinnati, Oregon, Oklahoma State, Texas and Louisville for Bashir Ahmed.

St. John's beat out Charlotte, Tennessee Tech, College of Charleston, Georgia Southern, ETSU, Buffalo, Texas Tech, Akron, San Jose State, Coastal Carolina, and Norfolk State for Vincent Cole
Texas Tech right now most likely better than all those programs we beat out for for Ahmed. Just got Georgetown transfer McClung to add to a stacked roster and great coach with a recent championship game appearance. I'll take him.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 04:18:46 PM »
Also NC State, Oregon State, Ole Miss, Arkansas according to Zags and NY post article.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 04:21:19 PM »
Texas Tech right now most likely better than all those programs we beat out for for Ahmed. Just got Georgetown transfer McClung to add to a stacked roster and great coach with a recent championship game appearance. I'll take him.

He wasn't recruited by Texas Tech while a JUCO. They showed "interest" in him during HS but never an offer. He commited to College of Charleston and instead prepped. The list of schools after him were all mid majors with the exception of interest from NC State.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 04:24:54 PM »

Good point temper our expectations.
We needed scoring out of Ahmed a lot more than we need out of Cole. Especially the way Williams was playing down the stretch. Hopefully, he can keep up that long-range shooting. In addition to Cole. A log jam of minutes at the wings frees up without LJ. Anxious to see how this plays out.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 04:28:08 PM »
He wasn't recruited by Texas Tech while a JUCO. They showed "interest" in him during HS but never an offer. He commited to College of Charleston and instead prepped. The list of schools after him were all mid majors with the exception of interest from NC State.

Yea I kind of through Texas Tech in as a token because I knew someone would mention them but you are correct they showed interest in hs.

Johnny23

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 05:52:40 PM »

What the hell does that have to do with how he performed as a Johnnie? Like I said he was crazy. Cole does not strike me as that type of player regardless of which schools recruited him.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 05:53:59 PM »
Good point temper our expectations.
We needed scoring out of Ahmed a lot more than we need out of Cole. Especially the way Williams was playing down the stretch. Hopefully, he can keep up that long-range shooting. In addition to Cole. A log jam of minutes at the wings frees up without LJ. Anxious to see how this plays out.

I think it's ok to be excited for Cole and hope for the best but if he turned out to be Bash that's impactful.

I don't think Cole comes in like Dwight Hardy or Marcus Hatten.

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2020, 09:15:48 PM »
I was working off the list in Dave's prior post. My mistake.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2020, 09:28:40 PM »
I think it's ok to be excited for Cole and hope for the best but if he turned out to be Bash that's impactful.

I don't think Cole comes in like Dwight Hardy or Marcus Hatten.

Hatten was a star from day one. Hardy needed a full year.

From the video I’ve seen, the form on his jumper isn’t great, and I don’t see him putting the ball on the floor and creating his own shot. Everything is a 3 pointer, and no one is playing defense in his Juco games.

If anyone would like to share some video of Cole that shows off more of his game it would be appreciated.

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 11:47:48 PM »
His jumper is strange looking with a low release. He has put up good shooting #'s though. He looks like he has the potential to be a solid addition, but It worries me that he will have to be #1 scoring option from the start.

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 07:47:41 AM »
Hopefully he does well but no reason Cole needs to be top scoring option.

Last year our top was Figueroa at 14.5 which is not a huge #..  Dunn had 12, Chamagnie 10 and Earlington at 9...all with less attempts. Think one of them, along with possibly Cole has the potential to make up some of LJ scoring with more minutes and attempts. Think it will be a committee type scoring load vs. anyone breaking out more than 14-15 pts avg.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 07:56:31 AM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 01:26:28 PM »
Hopefully he does well but no reason Cole needs to be top scoring option.

Last year our top was Figueroa at 14.5 which is not a huge #..  Dunn had 12, Chamagnie 10 and Earlington at 9...all with less attempts. Think one of them, along with possibly Cole has the potential to make up some of LJ scoring with more minutes and attempts. Think it will be a committee type scoring load vs. anyone breaking out more than 14-15 pts avg.

Any of those guys come across as consistent and sufficient scorers? Look at their numbers. They're very up and down.

Champaigne was more a product of the game. He got loose balls, rebounds, and hit the occasional jumper. He wasn't creating his own shot very often.

Dunn was very inconsistent, his jumper is below average and shouldn't be the top scoring option on a good BE team.

Earlington is also similar to Champaigne in how he gets his points. We need someone that can keep the defense honest with Lj gone.