2/9 Butler Game Thread

• 60 replies

Dan

Re: 2/9 Butler Game Thread
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2021, 11:40:55 PM »
Any way they have to win both against Xavier and Depaul and do work in the BET to have any chance at this point, this loss killed them

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2021, 11:41:16 PM »
On the road @ Butler was an L imo before season started.

Bad loss because we were up large but all the reasons you were excited before this game shouldn't be erased by this. Onto the next one.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2021, 11:48:53 PM »

Bad loss because we were up large but all the reasons you were excited before this game shouldn't be erased by this. Onto the next one.

Do you think with so many blue bloods having down years do you think that will impact the bubble tremendously?

With Covid reeking havoc the next game is just not guaranteed so the chances might not be there.

If they get to play they have to win’em if they got’em...
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2021, 11:50:53 PM »
Disappointed by the disappearance of Moore. Was key in opening up the big lead early and then was almost nonexistent in the second half.

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2021, 05:14:02 AM »
Only reason the game is close is because the officiating brought them back in a big 6 minute stretch.

The officials are the only reason Mike Anderson loses games. Amirite?

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2021, 07:24:37 AM »
The officials are the only reason Mike Anderson loses games. Amirite?

Back from the dead!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2021, 07:28:18 AM »

Exactly. Be upset cause we had the game won with 15 seconds left. But it’s a road game in the BE and you put yourself in position to have that blown chance. Again we gave up a big lead and seemingly lost all momentum but we were able to stay grounded, punch back and really should put ourselves in perfect position to win the game.

Upsetting but not surprising

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2021, 09:44:53 AM »
Thinking, we have to win four games. Five of the last six are at home, which is a positive. UCONN, Xavier, Seton Hall, @Villanova, all have higher rankings; Providence and DePaul are home games.

11 wins, we can feel good.

Marillac

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2021, 09:53:09 AM »
Tough loss...really needed this one to have a small margin of error.  In the big picture, though,  I'm not sure it's all bad. We've been winning a ton of close games. I could be wrong on that (and I'm too lazy to look it up), but it's never a great sign going to into the next season after winning a lopsided about of close games.  I thought they played well.

Dylan got one stuck in his glove on a very good drive with around 5 minutes to go and then had that terrible charge. Other than that, I was so goddamn impressed with his drives and baskets. That is how you win close games. He'll add a jump stop, learn to gather himself a little more towards the basket, and to avoid charges as he matures. If he can add a floater with his frame...it's over.  He tried one last night and it wasn't very pretty, but that shot will be there for him his whole career.

Posh was a demon. This kid has a chance at being the best recruit we've had this century when all is said and done and if he stays all four years. He never stops competing.  How can anyone not love that?  I can't think of anyone who has played harder of the top of my head.

Champ was Champ and that is always great.  Earlington is starting to look timid out there. He had a chance at a big three at the end and hesitated. Moore played well.

We seemed really slow to fill the lane on defense in the second half.  They had way too many long drives for layups/dunks with no resistance. I had flashbacks of the Norm years.

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2021, 09:59:41 AM »
Do you think with so many blue bloods having down years do you think that will impact the bubble tremendously?

With Covid reeking havoc the next game is just not guaranteed so the chances might not be there.

If they get to play they have to win’em if they got’em...

It definitely helps.  I watched the Kentucky - Arkansas game was shocked that Kentucky was 5-13 after the loss. Michigan State is 4-7 in the Big Ten. Maryland is 4-9.  These teams have been fixtures in the tournament for most of this century.

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2021, 12:08:52 PM »
They had cheerleaders, a band and fans and we lost by the most razor thin of margins.  We play our home games in a mausoleum.  Shouldn't the conference have covid rules ensuring an equal playing field and mitigating competitive advantage?

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2021, 01:12:51 PM »
They had cheerleaders, a band and fans and we lost by the most razor thin of margins.  We play our home games in a mausoleum.  Shouldn't the conference have covid rules ensuring an equal playing field and mitigating competitive advantage?

I don’t see why. It’s not like every team is capped at the same amount of fans DePaul gets in a normal season.

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2021, 05:59:15 PM »
I don’t see why. 
To ensure an equal playing field.

The garden variety home field advantage enjoyed by more successful and better managed teams that draw well and have more rabid fans is different than some teams playing in covid mandated empty arenas and others that are not.

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2021, 06:21:36 PM »
Still hurting after this loss today. Rewatched some of the game and Dunn jumpers kept us in however he played zero defense and got blown by a lot. The Tate putback he just watched the ball in the air as Tate ran in from Top of key to get board and finish.

Cole was a non factor yesterday and agree weird why we didn’t have Roberts in at end of game for rim protection or Williams in on Thompson. Can’t  allow a clean layup to a 49% foul shooter have to stop that.

Next up beat Xavier

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2021, 12:05:41 AM »
Questionable lineups down the stretch and in overtime gave Butler the game. They were getting anything they wanted in the paint and yet Roberts was collecting dust on the bench.

I also dont think they should have had a freshman inbounding the ball with the game on the line.

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2021, 04:41:50 AM »

I also dont think they should have had a freshman inbounding the ball with the game on the line.

Sure but that’s the same freshmen who just hit the go ahead basket.

« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2021, 08:00:28 AM »
Sure but that’s the same freshmen who just hit the go ahead basket.

Never bounce pass an inbounds pass freshman mistake there

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2021, 08:33:16 AM »
Never bounce pass an inbounds pass freshman mistake there

Agree wasn’t a great pass. He’s also the freshmen who made the great inbounds pass to Moore on the alleyoop earlier and the cross court inbounds pass to champ for the potential game-tying shot.  We are Monday morning quarterbacking, personally I think Wusu is best passer on the team.

« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2021, 09:56:00 AM »
Agree but just like any sports team fans remember the last play/game etc. and that pass unfortunately could be a reason we are dancing or not dancing this year. A lot of basketball left but 1 game could make difference. again this all goes away after the Xavier game if we come out with a W.

« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2021, 11:44:11 AM »
Agree but just like any sports team fans remember the last play/game etc. and that pass unfortunately could be a reason we are dancing or not dancing this year. A lot of basketball left but 1 game could make difference. again this all goes away after the Xavier game if we come out with a W.
So where is the guarantee another player does a better job? If he is our best passer what's the difference if he is a freshman it's not like he choked on the pass. Also Earlington and Dunn both missed front ends of one and ones so even if Dunn handles pass there's no guarantee he hits both free throws to all but clinch the game although obviously you wish that chance over the turnover.