Coaching Staff..

• 12 replies

pmg911

Coaching Staff..
« on: June 18, 2021, 02:51:55 PM »
Jeff Goodman reported on Twitter yesterday that Steve DeMeo out on SJU staff and leading candidate to replace him is Greg "Shoes" Vetrone from Rutgers - Queens native with deep recruiting ties across the country.

Poison

Re: Coaching Staff..
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 10:04:34 PM »
I don’t know what DeMeo’s role was on the staff, but the season ended in March. Why is he being fired now?

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 01:06:11 AM »
I don’t know what DeMeo’s role was on the staff, but the season ended in March. Why is he being fired now?
Knowing St. John's probably had to do with saving money. Contract probably ended in June and they didn't want to get rid of him earlier and have to pay him and his replacement for a period of time.

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 11:21:01 AM »
We should hire Book. Anderson is the perfect head coach for his redemption story. I think the upside greatly outweighs the risk to the program, even from an optics standpoint. Time to be bold and take a swing

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/ny-book-richardson-ncaa-scandal-fbi-20201003-6g4jqznscbhi3ec2j6tkyfyt6m-story.html?outputType=amp
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 11:22:05 AM by Gray Chudney »

pmg911

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 01:05:41 PM »
We should hire Book. Anderson is the perfect head coach for his redemption story. I think the upside greatly outweighs the risk to the program, even from an optics standpoint. Time to be bold and take a swing

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/ny-book-richardson-ncaa-scandal-fbi-20201003-6g4jqznscbhi3ec2j6tkyfyt6m-story.html?outputType=amp

are you out of your mind...   he is toxic in the coaching community right now...

Arizona cheated on every level possible and got caught...   

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 01:37:24 PM »
are you out of your mind...   he is toxic in the coaching community right now...

Arizona cheated on every level possible and got caught...   

Arizona did indeed cheat on every level and effectively got a slap on the wrist. The risk/reward is systemically asymmetric.

Book joining the staff would solidify the progress the program has made locally under Anderson imo. Unless you are saying that Book would negatively impact that progress, I don't see how this hurts. I'm not asking him to run the Sean Miller brownbag playbook here.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 01:44:48 PM »
Arizona did indeed cheat on every level and effectively got a slap on the wrist. The risk/reward is systemically asymmetric.

Book joining the staff would solidify the progress the program has made locally under Anderson imo. Unless you are saying that Book would negatively impact that progress, I don't see how this hurts. I'm not asking him to run the Sean Miller brownbag playbook here.

If he did his time, I see no reason why he shouldn’t get another shot.

But why out of all the people available does it have to be Book? What would he solidify? What am I missing? What would he do for St.John’s?

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 03:07:53 PM »
If he did his time, I see no reason why he shouldn’t get another shot.

But why out of all the people available does it have to be Book? What would he solidify? What am I missing? What would he do for St.John’s?

He would solidify the surface-level local penetration the Anderson regime began cultivating in this region two years ago. I think he could bring a recruiting presence like we hoped Slice would bring. This is still a relationship business, and I do not think Book is toxic on the circuit.

Van cannot be expected to do it all - guys like Cuffe and Riley slipping through our fingers remains the biggest impediment from the program making and sustaining success.  All the pieces but high level recruiting are in place, and I hope the Demeo departure is used as an opportunity to improve in this specific area. Doesn't have to be Book, of course, but is there a "clean" available assistant that would fit the bill?

Johnny23

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 12:43:36 PM »
I thought one of DeMeo's strengths was his recruiting prowess locally.

This begs the question why was he let go?

Vetrone's been part of this current Rutgers staff that's completely turned that program around.

Seems like it's a done deal as I just saw a picture on his twitter of his wife having lunch with Van Macon's wife 2 days ago.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2021, 07:33:19 AM »
I thought one of DeMeo's strengths was his recruiting prowess locally.

This begs the question why was he let go?

Vetrone's been part of this current Rutgers staff that's completely turned that program around.

Seems like it's a done deal as I just saw a picture on his twitter of his wife having lunch with Van Macon's wife 2 days ago.

I wonder if it had anything to do with Moore and Cole? I have no idea if it did, but if those were his choices, and his judgement took us there, I can see that keeping him for his recruiting prowess wouldn’t make sense.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 08:59:34 AM »
Maybe he thought that promotion to associate head coach should have been for him... At least it was handled professionally.

pmg911

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 08:40:29 AM »
Vetrone is a massive upgrade from DeMeo both on the court and on the recruiting trail. Coach Anderson making a great hire.

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2021, 01:09:32 AM »
Vetrone is a massive upgrade from DeMeo both on the court and on the recruiting trail. Coach Anderson making a great hire.

Shoes is a great guy
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle