Most improved Johnnies

• 9 replies

Poison

Most improved Johnnies
« on: November 23, 2022, 03:17:35 PM »
I can’t remember a St.John’s player go from being a liability to a first team All BE level player. Credit where it’s due, Joel Soriano is averaging 14.2 points, and 11.7 boards.

Who can name the last St.John’s player to average a double double?

Foad

Re: Most improved Johnnies
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2022, 04:52:15 PM »
I can’t remember a St.John’s player go from being a liability to a first team All BE level player. Credit where it’s due, Joel Soriano is averaging 14.2 points, and 11.7 boards.

Who can name the last St.John’s player to average a double double?

Probably Walter Berry. Before that I have no idea, other than maybe Mark Jackson or a bunch of players before even my time: George Johnson, Billy Schaeffer, Mel Davis, Tony Jackson, Leroy Ellis, Sonny Dove.

Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double in college. Zelmo Beaty averaged 25 and 20. Marvin Barnes averaged 18 and 18. Bob Lanier averaged 20 and 16. Kids today haven't ever heard of any of them. They've never heard of Elvin Hayes and think Bill Walton is just a stoned dummy who calls who makes wacky references on west coast games. It's sad.

David Cain made the greatest leap from garbage to something. Change my mind.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 11:16:25 PM »
Probably Walter Berry. Before that I have no idea, other than maybe Mark Jackson or a bunch of players before even my time: George Johnson, Billy Schaeffer, Mel Davis, Tony Jackson, Leroy Ellis, Sonny Dove.

Oscar Robertson averaged a triple double in college. Zelmo Beaty averaged 25 and 20. Marvin Barnes averaged 18 and 18. Bob Lanier averaged 20 and 16. Kids today haven't ever heard of any of them. They've never heard of Elvin Hayes and think Bill Walton is just a stoned dummy who calls who makes wacky references on west coast games. It's sad.

David Cain made the greatest leap from garbage to something. Change my mind.

I don’t think I will. This could be on the level of David Cain. Soriano was lost last year.

Looked it up. Turns out it’s actually Zendon Hamilton in 95-96 - one of our worst season in history.

Johnny23

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2022, 11:42:57 AM »
I give you Sir Dom Pointer. He came in as a kamikaze and left having a great senior year.

Foad

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 04:07:50 PM »
I don’t think I will. This could be on the level of David Cain. Soriano was lost last year.

Looked it up. Turns out it’s actually Zendon Hamilton in 95-96 - one of our worst season in history.

Zendon is the most underrated player in SJU history. A  complete monster who had the misfortune to play with Felipe. Your favorite James Scott might be the second. 

Poison

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 06:08:21 PM »
Joel Soriano is the Big East Player of the Week.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 06:19:20 PM »
Zendon is the most underrated player in SJU history. A  complete monster who had the misfortune to play with Felipe. Your favorite James Scott might be the second. 

In fairness, if Erick Barkley played with these guys, they’d have been ranked all season long. There was no point guard, and Felipe needed one.

Z was a double double machine as a sophomore but for some reason he was the odd man out when Fran took over. Never knew what happened there, but his offensive skill, and rebounding ability were great. Passing, not so much.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 06:21:22 PM by Poison »

Foad

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2022, 03:55:33 PM »
In fairness, if Erick Barkley played with these guys, they’d have been ranked all season long. There was no point guard, and Felipe needed one.

Z was a double double machine as a sophomore but for some reason he was the odd man out when Fran took over. Never knew what happened there, but his offensive skill, and rebounding ability were great. Passing, not so much.

Walter Berry wasn't much of a passer either. I can live with it. ZH averaged half an assist a game. Alleged PG Tarik Turner averaged three and a half on a team of players who shot first and asked questions later.

[interlude]
[/interlude]

Sometimes I look at stats and I can't believe what I'm seeing. This team went 12-17

Charles Minlend
Shawnelle Scott
James Scott
Roshown McLeod
Rowan Barrett
Carl Beckett
Derek Brown
Mo Brown

This team lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament, to Detroit

Felipe Lopez
Zendon H
Ron Artest
Lavar Postell
Ty Grant
Tarik Turner
Chudney Gray
Reggie Jessie

As did this team, to someone else, at the Nassau Coliseum

David Russell
Mullin
Billy Goodwin
Billy Wennington
Kevin Williams
Bob Kelly (thanks Lou)

as did this team, somewhere else

George Johnson
Wayne McKoy
Bernie Rencher
Reggie Carter
Kev Winfree
BERWANGER!

This is as cursed a franchise as there is and that's coming from a Lions fan.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 05:32:43 PM »
Cursed and or a propensity to shit the bed.

Foad

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 04:19:54 PM »
Cursed and or a propensity to shit the bed.

It's certainly something.

SJU loses to Darrell Griffith's Louisville. George Johnson had 24 and 20. In support, Wayne McKoy and Reggie Carter fouled out. Nearly the last understandable NCAA loss in SJ history.

Three seed SJU - Reggie Carter, McKoy, David Russell, Bernard Rencher and Kevin Williams -gets a game against six seed Purdue. IN INDIANA. Predictability ensues.

Mullin, Russell, Goodwin, Kevin Williams, Jeff Allen and Bill Wennington Lose to Alabama. IN UNIONDALE. Bob Kelly played 37 minutes and contributed two points. Chris Mullin - who never played defense in his entire life - fouled out.

SJU first round loss to Georgia in Syracuse. Bob Kelly had no points in 20 minutes, Kevin William had 12 in 20, and Chris Mullin contributed six turnovers.

<skipping ahead>

Seven seed SJU - comprising Felipe, Zendon, Artest, Postell and Ty Grant - gets a game vs #10 seed Detroit. IN ILLINOIS. Zendon manages three rebounds, the same number as Collin Charles. Tarik "Please Shut the #$%^ Up Already" Turner has no points, no rebounds, and one assist.

TWO SEED St John's - Bootsy, Postell, Barkely, Glover and ORVIS! - barely survive a game in ARIZONA versus fifteen seed Northern ARIZONA, before losing to Gonzaga.

If it's not voodoo it's animus and it it's not animus it's #$%^itude. It's certainly something.