Villanova

• 9 replies
Villanova
« on: December 21, 2022, 08:39:10 PM »
Johnnies shit the bed for a second time against the only good teams they've faced. In other news the sun rises in the east again.

Re: Villanova
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 11:20:56 AM »
At some point, let's hope we get to a place where we throw money at Jay Wright within a couple years. Call Repole and other big donors and let's get this done. The school continues to settle for mediocrity and plays in a high school gym called Carnesecca Arena except for the few big boy games at the Garden each year.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 11:21:18 AM by friendofjohnnie »

Foad

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 01:30:31 PM »
At some point, let's hope we get to a place where we throw money at Jay Wright within a couple years. Call Repole and other big donors and let's get this done. The school continues to settle for mediocrity and plays in a high school gym called Carnesecca Arena except for the few big boy games at the Garden each year.

If and when JW comes back to coaching he'll have the choice of any gig in the world, from the Lakers and Celtics on down. If you were in that position how much money would you need to be offered to choose to coach a laughingstock program like St John's? Considering that he was making 4.5 million at Villanova and could make 10 in the NBA and considering that Porter Moser and Bobby Hurley laughed in Cragg's face, I think maybe 15 million could persuade him to come to Queens.

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 03:40:58 PM »

Jay Wright retired abruptly for family health reasons. He's not going anywhere soon least of all St. John's where coaches go to get fired.
We settled for mediocre coaches when we hired Norm Roberts. The trend continues to this day because we cannot compete with the Power 5 for elite coaches.
The closest we can come today is a Rick Pitino who is richer than Trump and who is a BB junkie.  The other option is to hire an elite assistant coach from a successful program or the top mid-major coach available given that we will not pay over $3 million for a name coach.

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 11:58:08 AM »

We made a huge tactical mistake not throwing money at Rick Pitino to come here. He would have given us a shot at relevance again and likely would have brought on a "worthy successor" to his staff for when he retires. That is how programs are built to actually contend year in and year out. Not this 3-5 year bandage scheme when we settle for mediocrity, celebrate the one or two 4 stars that come as if they were the second coming of Jordan and cheap out with coaches. We will continue to settle for BE tourney exits and cheer on an NCAA tourney birth as if it was the Super Bowl rather than expect it each year.

So disgusted.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 11:58:27 AM by friendofjohnnie »

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 02:41:22 PM »
We made a huge tactical mistake not throwing money at Rick Pitino to come here. He would have given us a shot at relevance again and likely would have brought on a "worthy successor" to his staff for when he retires. That is how programs are built to actually contend year in and year out. Not this 3-5 year bandage scheme when we settle for mediocrity, celebrate the one or two 4 stars that come as if they were the second coming of Jordan and cheap out with coaches. We will continue to settle for BE tourney exits and cheer on an NCAA tourney birth as if it was the Super Bowl rather than expect it each year.

So disgusted.
It wouldn't have taken throwing money at Pitino as evidenced by his move to Iona we just didn't have the cajones.

Foad

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 04:10:35 PM »
It wouldn't have taken throwing money at Pitino as evidenced by his move to Iona we just didn't have the cajones.

My sources are telling me Pitino to Georgetown is a done deal.

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 07:30:09 PM »
My sources are telling me Pitino to Georgetown is a done deal.

My sources tell me the most liberal university in the Big East will never hire a white coach and will hire Cuonzo Martin of Missouri.

Foad

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 08:53:57 PM »
My sources tell me the most liberal university in the Big East will never hire a white coach

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Esherick

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 08:17:07 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Esherick

That was a basketball generation ago and before being a Woke university was more important in hiring decisions than in today's world.

Unfortunately St. John's is in the same state of wokeness and without the academic credentials but we are desperate enough to go after Billy Donovan if they are willing to raid the endowment fund.