Bobby G looking to add another "character"..

• 32 replies

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
Bobby G looking to add another "character"..
« on: August 28, 2008, 09:43:08 PM »
... to a team FILLED with trouble-makers already.. ::) ... This guy must be getting DESPERATE... because the rumors of him being on the verge of getting fired a while back were not far from the truth. He's pissed off more than a few "big-wigs" at the university with his attitude & his classless "antics" on the court. And if they flat on their face this year & he or one of his players EMBARRASS the school one more time on/off the court. This "side-show" is going to be GONZO imo..  ;D .. seton hall sucks!

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2008/08/seton-hall-going-after-herb-po.html

p.s. - keep PRAYING bobby... it might be ur only shot at keeping ur job..  ;) .. peace!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

Re: Bobby G looking to add another "character"..
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 02:15:18 AM »
please, herb pope is a huge talent and is worth the risk IMO.  gonzo taking someone on a team full of "trouble makers" (and who exactly on seton hall has been in trouble?) is a sign of a desperate coach but im sure you would say that a certain favorite head coach of yours hiring 2 AAU coaches is a move of pure genius.  just shows the rose colored glasses by which you're viewing things (just to make things clear, i like norms move to hire both of those guys and i also like gonzo's move of taking a risk on herb pope)
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 06:55:56 AM »
please, herb pope is a huge talent and is worth the risk IMO.  gonzo taking someone on a team full of "trouble makers" (and who exactly on seton hall has been in trouble?) is a sign of a desperate coach but im sure you would say that a certain favorite head coach of yours hiring 2 AAU coaches is a move of pure genius.  just shows the rose colored glasses by which you're viewing things (just to make things clear, i like norms move to hire both of those guys and i also like gonzo's move of taking a risk on herb pope)

Worth the risk in your opinion, but there is no doubt that the Hall's roster is loaded with questionable players and OLDRED is 100% correct that they are a step away from a disaster. You dont want to recognize that , well that is your perogative.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 09:38:28 AM »

Worth the risk in your opinion, but there is no doubt that the Hall's roster is loaded with questionable players and OLDRED is 100% correct that they are a step away from a disaster. You dont want to recognize that , well that is your perogative.
of course, if he was coming to st john's, the mantra would be "a guy abandoned by his parents and who was shot four times is turning his life around."  underage drinking???  in other words neither "scotch" nor the rest of you ever had a drink when you were underage.

my guess is many of the posters here were "underage drinkers" when the drinking age was only 18.

kob24

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 10:30:45 AM »
he is hella nice I would take him matter of fact we needs to take him

mkras99

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 11:54:57 AM »

of course, if he was coming to st john's, the mantra would be "a guy abandoned by his parents and who was shot four times is turning his life around."  underage drinking???  in other words neither "scotch" nor the rest of you ever had a drink when you were underage.

my guess is many of the posters here were "underage drinkers" when the drinking age was only 18.

When you're right, you're right.  And you're right.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 07:20:15 AM »

Thanks red...  and save "rose colored glasses" nonsense theo.. ::) .. First of all, one has nothing to do with the other  & for the record i've NEVER even commented on Norm's hiring of young & cross... other than to welcome them aboard. Whether it's an "act of desperation" OR "pure genius" is irrelevant... but so far it looks like a pretty darn good move though doesn't it?.. ;D .. Regardless, that has NOTHING to do with this thread or the fact Gonzalez has brought in yet another "character" into the sh program. Yeah, he maybe a nice kid or he might not be... NOTE TO KRUSTY/NEWSIE - but i could care less if he was busted for underage drinking... who hasn't..  ;D ... it's the being shot four times thing that would worry me... of course he was probably in the wrong place at the wrong time & was just another innocent bystander.. ::) .. The POINT of the thread is seton hall's roster is LOADED with "questionable characters" & this just adds another apple to the bunch imo.... Not to mention, , Gonzalez owes one to Norm & one of his assistants for not blowing the whistle to the Big East when 3 of his players(garcia, davis, forget the other kid) tried to jump an SJU student last summer because he was supposedly fooling around with garcia's girlfriend(lol) who goes to sju... if not for dele coker & sju security they  would have jumped the kid right in front of one of the dorms. It was broken up quickly but Davis kept trying to escalte the situation so they were rounded up & taken to the security office where one of the coaches(no longer with the team) disuaded them from callin' the "authorities" . They were issued trespass notices & banned from the campus. Plus, they and one of their coaches had to meet with a school official before our game with them last year just so they would be allowed to play & assure them there would be no more "trouble". I know this because my little cousin(an ra) lives in the dorms, is a big college hoops fan & was there that night. Even better, Garcia & Davis were both wearing their school colors & one had on a seton hall sweat suit...  and these two genius' are both around 6'9/240lbs & stuck out like sore thumbs... i mean these guys are so clueless it's hysterical... In closing i actually like Bobby g & get a kick out of his antics on the court plus his colorfull remarks to his players on the bench. But it's only a matter of TIME before he or one of his "pupils" does something to EMBARRASS the university again. Mark it down.  8) .. For him & his families sake i hope i'm wrong... but there was obviously a REASON it took so long for him to get a "major" job.. lol .. peace!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 08:05:14 AM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 08:01:20 AM »

Thanks red...  and save "rose colored glasses" nonsense theo.. ::) .. First of all, one has nothing to do with the other  & for the record i've NEVER even commented on Norm's hiring of young & cross... other than to welcome them aboard. Whether it's an "act of desperation" OR "pure genius" is irrelevant... but so far it looks like a pretty darn good move though doesn't it?.. ;D .. Regardless, that has NOTHING to do with this thread or the fact Gonzalez has brought in yet another "character" into the sh program. Yeah, he maybe a nice kid or he might not be... NOTE TO KRUSTY/NEWSIE - but i could care less if he was busted for underage drinking... who hasn't..  ;D ... it's the being shot four times thing that would worry me... of course he was probably in the wrong place at the wrong time & was just another innocent bystander.. ::) .. The POINT of the thread is seton hall's roster is LOADED with "questionable characters" & this just adds another apple to the bunch imo.... Not to mention, , Gonzalez owes one to Norm & one of his assistants for not blowing the whistle to the Big East when 3 of his players(garcia, davis, forget the other kid) tried to jump an SJU student last summer because he was supposedly fooling around with garcia's girlfriend(lol) who goes to sju... if not for dele coker & sju security they  would have jumped the kid right in front of one of the dorms. It was broken up quickly but Davis kept trying to escalte the situation so they were rounded up & taken to the security office where one of the coaches(no longer with the team) disuaded them from callin' the "authorities" . They were issued trespass notices & banned from the campus. Plus, they and one of their coaches had to meet with a school official before our game with them last year just so they would be allowed to play & assure them there would be no more "trouble". I know this because my little cousin(an ra) lives in the dorms, is a big college hoops fan & was there that night. Even better, Garcia & Davis were both wearing their school colors & one had on a seton hall sweat suit...  and these two genius' are both around 6'9/240lbs & stuck out like sore thumbs... i mean these guys are so clueless it's hysterical... In closing i actually like Bobby g & get a kick out of his antice on the court plus his colorfull remarks to his players on the bench. But it's only a matter of TIME before he or one of his "pupils" does something to EMBARRASS the university again. Mark it down.  8) .. For him & his families sake i hope i'm wrong... but there was obviously a REASON it took so long for him to get a "major" job.. lol .. peace!

oldred I believe the 3rd player was Robert Stix Mitchell.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 08:13:16 AM »

Thanks red...  and save "rose colored glasses" nonsense theo.. ::) .. First of all, one has nothing to do with the other  & for the record i've NEVER even commented on Norm's hiring of young & cross... other than to welcome them aboard. Whether it's an "act of desperation" OR "pure genius" is irrelevant... but so far it looks like a pretty darn good move though doesn't it?.. ;D .. Regardless, that has NOTHING to do with this thread or the fact Gonzalez has brought in yet another "character" into the sh program. Yeah, he maybe a nice kid or he might not be... NOTE TO KRUSTY/NEWSIE - but i could care less if he was busted for underage drinking... who hasn't..  ;D ... it's the being shot four times thing that would worry me... of course he was probably in the wrong place at the wrong time & was just another innocent bystander.. ::) .. The POINT of the thread is seton hall's roster is LOADED with "questionable characters" & this just adds another apple to the bunch imo.... Not to mention, , Gonzalez owes one to Norm & one of his assistants for not blowing the whistle to the Big East when 3 of his players(garcia, davis, forget the other kid) tried to jump an SJU student last summer because he was supposedly fooling around with garcia's girlfriend(lol) who goes to sju... if not for dele coker & sju security they  would have jumped the kid right in front of one of the dorms. It was broken up quickly but Davis kept trying to escalte the situation so they were rounded up & taken to the security office where one of the coaches(no longer with the team) disuaded them from callin' the "authorities" . They were issued trespass notices & banned from the campus. Plus, they and one of their coaches had to meet with a school official before our game with them last year just so they would be allowed to play & assure them there would be no more "trouble". I know this because my little cousin(an ra) lives in the dorms, is a big college hoops fan & was there that night. Even better, Garcia & Davis were both wearing their school colors & one had on a seton hall sweat suit...  and these two genius' are both around 6'9/240lbs & stuck out like sore thumbs... i mean these guys are so clueless it's hysterical... In closing i actually like Bobby g & get a kick out of his antice on the court plus his colorfull remarks to his players on the bench. But it's only a matter of TIME before he or one of his "pupils" does something to EMBARRASS the university again. Mark it down.  8) .. For him & his families sake i hope i'm wrong... but there was obviously a REASON it took so long for him to get a "major" job.. lol .. peace!

oldred I believe the 3rd player was Robert Stix Mitchell.

Bingo red... thanks again.. 8) .. peace brother!

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 05:23:48 PM »

Thanks red...  and save "rose colored glasses" nonsense theo.. ::) .. First of all, one has nothing to do with the other  & for the record i've NEVER even commented on Norm's hiring of young & cross... other than to welcome them aboard. Whether it's an "act of desperation" OR "pure genius" is irrelevant... but so far it looks like a pretty darn good move though doesn't it?.. ;D .. Regardless, that has NOTHING to do with this thread or the fact Gonzalez has brought in yet another "character" into the sh program. Yeah, he maybe a nice kid or he might not be... NOTE TO KRUSTY/NEWSIE - but i could care less if he was busted for underage drinking... who hasn't..  ;D ... it's the being shot four times thing that would worry me... of course he was probably in the wrong place at the wrong time & was just another innocent bystander.. ::) .. The POINT of the thread is seton hall's roster is LOADED with "questionable characters" & this just adds another apple to the bunch imo.... Not to mention, , Gonzalez owes one to Norm & one of his assistants for not blowing the whistle to the Big East when 3 of his players(garcia, davis, forget the other kid) tried to jump an SJU student last summer because he was supposedly fooling around with garcia's girlfriend(lol) who goes to sju... if not for dele coker & sju security they  would have jumped the kid right in front of one of the dorms. It was broken up quickly but Davis kept trying to escalte the situation so they were rounded up & taken to the security office where one of the coaches(no longer with the team) disuaded them from callin' the "authorities" . They were issued trespass notices & banned from the campus. Plus, they and one of their coaches had to meet with a school official before our game with them last year just so they would be allowed to play & assure them there would be no more "trouble". I know this because my little cousin(an ra) lives in the dorms, is a big college hoops fan & was there that night. Even better, Garcia & Davis were both wearing their school colors & one had on a seton hall sweat suit...  and these two genius' are both around 6'9/240lbs & stuck out like sore thumbs... i mean these guys are so clueless it's hysterical... In closing i actually like Bobby g & get a kick out of his antics on the court plus his colorfull remarks to his players on the bench. But it's only a matter of TIME before he or one of his "pupils" does something to EMBARRASS the university again. Mark it down.  8) .. For him & his families sake i hope i'm wrong... but there was obviously a REASON it took so long for him to get a "major" job.. lol .. peace!

Great post Oldred, also did Stix Mitchell take a swing at his coach at Duquesne. Something like that. THUG LIFE YO at the HizALL

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 09:24:44 PM »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 12:10:37 PM »
It appears to be two different aproaches to recruiting. I would say "but for the grace of God there go I " but we all know we have gone that way in the not so distant past  and have paid the price as a result.  I think we have learned our lesson  but, we should be careful in criticizing others who are willing to take an extra risk to get more immediate results.  The percentages are not with with that course but time will tell.
BTW, I was critical of Coach Jarvis for being the only BE coach who did not activly recruit a youngster at point who ultimately chose Syracuse and played there for 3 years. I was wrong.  The kid walked away from the  team in his senior year after a lackluster career and has recently been charged with a felony which followed at least one other  arrest in the past three years.  Character counts; and, at least in that case, Jarvis got it Wright..

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 12:36:45 PM »
It appears to be two different aproaches to recruiting. I would say "but for the grace of God there go I " but we all know we have gone that way in the not so distant past  and have paid the price as a result.  I think we have learned our lesson  but, we should be careful in criticizing others who are willing to take an extra risk to get more immediate results.  The percentages are not with with that course but time will tell.
BTW, I was critical of Coach Jarvis for being the only BE coach who did not activly recruit a youngster at point who ultimately chose Syracuse and played there for 3 years. I was wrong.  The kid walked away from the  team in his senior year after a lackluster career and has recently been charged with a felony which followed at least one other  arrest in the past three years.  Character counts; and, at least in that case, Jarvis got it Wright..

Youre going to give credit for Jarvis for passing on 1 thug when he already had a couple or 10 under his wing?

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 05:02:47 PM »
Kids make mistakes.  Some move beyond it and choose the right path, while others choose that lifestyle as their permanent way of life.  The trick is for a coach to decipher which of  the two a kid is.  Some kids deserve a second chance but you don't want one that's going to disrupt the direction of your program.

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 09:51:04 AM »
Seton Hall has 9 scholarship players, Gonzo will be asked to leave sooner rather than later imo.

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 12:47:03 PM »
Supposedly Pope tried to go back to his team but the players were not too happy with that and  said no thanks. He sounds like Seton Hall material

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 11:30:35 AM »
so back to seton hall it is.....

http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_10359118?source=most_viewed

LAS CRUCES — Herb Pope confirmed late Monday that he is taking his services to Seton Hall.

"I am going to Seton Hall," said Pope, the day after New Mexico State University had announced that they had parted ways with the 6-foot-9 sophomore forward from Aliquippa, Pa.

Pope was on the Seton Hall campus last week. Since NMSU granted him the opportunity to seek another school, Pope said he also received interest from Duquesne, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Robert Morris and West Virginia. But it was Seton Hall that had an available scholarship and Pope said the other pieces fit as well.

"I have family matters back home and I wanted to get closer to the east coast," Pope said. "I am a father and I want to get closer to my daughter because I don't want her to go through the same things that I went through."

Foster homes were a part of Pope's life that he didn't want to share with his daughter. He is also close to his younger brother and sister in Aliquippa.

"I don't want them to go through foster care and endure some of the things that I had to," Pope said. "I'm a patriarch of my family, and whether I wanted to or not, I have excelled at that role."

Pope, who was a plus-3.0 student in one year at NMSU, said basketball

Advertisement

is a minor part of his decision to leave Las Cruces.
"It really isn't about basketball," he said. "It's always been about my family. I am trying to better myself and I think I have grown socially and academically. If I can get a degree, I can make it anywhere."

Pope said he made his decision in the last two days. He said he hopes to receive a waiver from the NCAA in order to play immediately.

"My hope is that it goes through, but it's up to the NCAA," Pope said. "I'm prepared to sit out this year if that's what it takes. I'm not the same person as my days in high school and I'm looking forward to moving on with my career."

Pope also addressed his former institution, particularly NMSU athletics director McKinley Boston, his former teammates and coaching staff and Aggies fans.

"I want to say that I'm really going to miss everyone out there," Pope said. "I felt like the team is going in the right direction and is already great with or without me. I made the decision that I had to, not that I wanted to make. It was a chance to be near my family so it was a no brainer.

"I want to make it very clear that Dr. Boston allowed me to do so many things and accepted me and he gave me an opportunity to play in front of the most fanatical fans that I have ever seen at the Pan Am. I just want to thank everyone there who supported me."
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kob24

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 11:41:24 AM »
This is crazy this kid is good as hell and he can play this year I'm piss

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 01:57:06 PM »
This is crazy this kid is good as hell and he can play this year I'm piss

There is only the slimmest of chances he'll be able to play this year and not a great chance for Keon either but Bobby is trying every trick in the book, likely to save his job.

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 02:28:56 PM »
interesting...he's supposed to be real good.  Seems like one of those kids that you wonder whether he'll suit up anywhere though.  Maybe he'll go to Europe if he doesn't receive a waiver.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!