Bobby G looking to add another "character"..

• 32 replies
Re: Bobby G looking to add another "character"..
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »
Much blessins to this kid who had a hard, hard life.

But who he think he gonna play fo? .
He got hisself a coach who embarass the school like evry other game.
He got hisself a coach who the AD hate.
He got hisself a coach who took ova a program goin NCAAs and they aint gotta sniff since.

And that just the public record.

So I ask y'all this: who Herb Pope gonna play fo when he get eligible?
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2008, 02:00:23 PM »
Looks like Mike Glovers carreer is over befor it started. Can someone explain to me what happenned with this kid?

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 01:54:55 PM »
Gonzalez gambling for Seton Hall's future

Thursday, September 4, 2008

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3568773&name=katz_andy

Bobby Gonzalez is clear that in order for Seton Hall to be competitive in the 16-team Big East, he's got to take a gamble or two.

The third-year Pirates coach isn't hiding from his objective. He accepted two high-profile transfers within the past week -- Keon Lawrence from Missouri and Herb Pope from New Mexico State -- with the hope that both will be eligible for this season.

"This league is a joke. They're talking about 10 teams going to the NCAA tournament," Gonzalez said late Wednesday night. "If you want to get into the top six or seven in this conference, you've got to be creative and you've got to take transfers. I'm not sure what they're saying about Gonzo, saying that I'm taking too many borderline guys, a gamble. But the [Seton Hall] president backs me, and I feel they're all worth the gamble."

(NOTE - He knows EXACTLY what "they" are saying about him & if he or one of his "borderline" guys embarasses the school AGAIN.... the president of the hall will drop u like a bad habit "gonzo".. ;D .. peace!)

Both players are appealing the NCAA's requirement that forces transfers sit out one year before they're eligible. Gonzalez said the case for Lawrence, who is from Newark, should be a "layup" because his father is ill and his mother is going through a tough time.

"There's all kinds of stuff," Gonzalez said of Lawrence, who led the Tigers in minutes played last season (29.2) and was fourth on the team in scoring (11). "He's got to be there for his mom. Selfishly, from a basketball standpoint, him playing in the Prudential Center … He's a local hero around Newark. Keon's a big name. He's big down here."

Gonzalez said he has no idea if Missouri will support Lawrence's attempt to get an appeal to play right away. In previous cases where the player did win the appeal -- notably when Tyler Smith transferred from Iowa to Tennessee to be near his father, who had terminal cancer -- the previous school supported the decision.

Gonzalez said Lawrence won't be academically eligible until after the first semester because the junior doesn't have enough transferable credits from Missouri. He would have to pass 15 credits in the first semester to be eligible by mid-December, the coach said. Gonzalez is also hoping Missouri won't be too upset about Lawrence's transfer since the Tigers and Pirates are in opposite brackets in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off Classic in November, and Lawrence wouldn't be available to Seton Hall during that tournament.

Gonzalez said Pope wanted to come back closer to his Pittsburgh-area home to be near his family, who is also going through a tough time, but because Pope testified against the person who shot him while in high school, going back to an area school such as Duquesne, Pitt or West Virginia might not be in his best interest. Gonzalez believes Pope could also win the appeal to play this season.

The Pirates have gotten an official release from NMSU, Gonzalez said. NMSU coach Marvin Menzies, who was upset with Pope's abrupt transfer, said Gonzalez never called him about the sophomore forward. Gonzalez said that is true, but he argued that the Pope transfer was initiated by those close to Pope and that Seton Hall didn't tamper with the process.

Meanwhile, Gonzalez is waiting to see if Michael Glover, who was declared ineligible last year at Seton Hall, would win his lawsuit against the Big East and the NCAA to gain eligibility.

"If he were eligible last year we would have won 20 games, not 17; he could have been an all-rookie Big East [player]," Gonzalez said of the 17-15 Pirates last season. "He definitely would be a major impact guy. Who knows? We could believe in miracles and get Keon Lawrence, Michael Glover and Herb Pope [this season]."

(NOTE - This guy is DELUSIONAL.. ;D .. peace!)

Gonzalez said he's not fazed by the uncertainty of this season's roster. He's confident in the core group of players returning, led by junior guard Eugene Harvey (13.3 ppg), senior guard Paul Gause (played in only 16 games last season due to a broken bone in his right hand and a torn ACL in his left knee), Duquesne transfer 6-6 junior Robert Mitchell, 6-5 all-Big East rookie team member Jeremy Hazell (12.8 ppg) and forward John Garcia (6.9 ppg, 7 rpg).

"I can handle this," Gonzalez said. "This is exciting. We could be picked 12th, 13th or 14th, and that's probably accurate. But on the other hand, the possibilities are exciting. If something all of a sudden breaks here [with Lawrence and/or Pope], then we could be a dangerous team, a sleeper team. We could be in the middle of the Big East race at the end of the year."

Gonzalez will have to sit the first game of the Big East season for his behavior during and after a March 9 game against rival Rutgers. Gonzalez said he was informed the game wouldn't be against one of the three teams the Pirates play twice -- Rutgers, St. John's or Connecticut -- and it would be on the road. But the official Big East conference schedule has yet to be released.

"It will be a quick blip," Gonzalez said of the suspension, although he did admit to Big East commissioner Mike Tranghese that he was out of line. He said Tranghese was explicit about coaching behavior at the beginning of the season.

"If guys get out of line, then they were going to get banged [with a penalty], and I understand that," Gonzalez said. "I'm going into my third year. I'm not saying I'm Jim Boeheim or Jim Calhoun and they get preferential treatment. I made a mistake and went into the press conference and I talked about an official and I was frustrated and it was the end of the year and it was my fault. I came to terms with that in the spring and apologized publicly. It won't be a big deal. I just screwed up at the wrong time."

Gonzalez said he has four years left on his contract, and he claimed he's not worried about his job security. Gonzalez won seven Big East games last season.

"By the middle of the year we could be a dangerous team, and as a coach that's exciting," Gonzalez said. "In this league, that's what you've got to do."

« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 01:57:40 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

Randomhero423

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 02:03:37 PM »
hopefully when i go to SHU he's gone.

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 06:57:20 PM »
Jamel Jackson is not at Seton Hall for academic reasons as per zags. Good job outta Gonzo AGAIN

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 08:22:18 PM »
wow...are they going to be able to field a team this year?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 08:52:09 PM »
hopefully when i go to SHU he's gone.
You're gonna be cheering/ watching St. John's at Seton Hall?  I remember Seton Hall kids being kinda bitter about their sports rivals.

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 09:36:26 AM »
Seton Hall now has 8 scholarship players on the roster, that is all. Why would anyone send their kid to play at Seton Hall for Gonzo nowadays?

Randomhero423

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 02:40:43 PM »
heard from the students today at seton hall, that the players really dislike bobby g

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 04:25:18 PM »
I have no idea how Seton Hall gets any love from any preseason publication I think USF, Depaul, and Seton Hall will be battling for last place.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2008, 10:19:33 AM »
heard from the students today at seton hall, that the players really dislike bobby g

Only a matter of time before he'll be sitting wit the rest of the nuts in the ESPN studio

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 02:07:33 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A.D. Joe Quinlan has seen fit to suspend Robert Mitchell and assistant coach , Derm Player for two games this season .
The two games both will be suspended for are the first two games of the Puerto Rico tournament .

This was Joe Quinlan's choice .

How these suspensions came about was because Mitchell had driven to Washington , D.C. as a passenger last season with a friend to take in the Georgetown game .

When Mitchell's friend had to leave D.C. abruptly because of an emergency , Robert was then left to fend for himself .
Having not enough money to pay for a bus or train back , Mitchell hopped on the team bus going back to South Orange .

Since Mitchell was sitting out a transfer season , the rules state that he must pay his own way to away events .

Some rats of Quinlan's saw Mitchell on the bus and turned him in , also noting that Derm Player was on the bus , " and must have seen Mitchell on board " .

This is the second assistant coach Quinlan has seen fit , in his eyes to suspend .
The other being Kevin Murphy last season .

These suspensions are highly unusual and out of the ordinary for several reasons ; the first being that Quinlan picked the nationally televised first two games in the Puerto Rico tournament , which is several games into the season .
The second being that the suspension is for " two " games , not one as is usual and customary .

Most schools A.D.'s , if they feel a suspension is warranted would suspend the "perpetrators" for the first "exhibition" game .

Since this " violation " is not considered egregious by most college A.D.'s and basketball people but a very minor infraction at that , the action by Quinlan doesn't pass the smell test as it reek's of Quinlan's past and on going behaviour of sabotaging our basketball program and making our coaches work days as difficult as possible .

I will add here that Robert Mitchell offered Quinlan a written apology and also volunteered to perform any type of Seton Hall related community service but he was rebuffed and rejected by Quinlan who chose this current route of harassment .

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 06:39:54 PM »
What a circus
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap