St Johns vs IONA scrimmage?

• 120 replies

pmg911

Re: St Johns vs IONA scrimmage?
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2008, 11:33:24 AM »
they'll always defend him and talk about how jarvis wrecked the program and how the "facuilties were a major hurdle"  if we don't win this year, they can say boothe was injuried.

Jarvis did wreck the program!  Is their anyone that disagrees with that statement?

I disagree with that statement entirely.  He was just coming off three consecutive tournament appearances and an NIT title--with a team at the end of the season that would have beaten the previous year's team IMO.  He had a future NBA player, Quinton Hosley signed, and Price who turned out to be a helluva college player.  He also had a McDonald's All-American playing point guard--and ended up being the only Johnnie to make the NCAA tournament since.

If he was fired after the 2003 season or at the end of the 2004 season, they would have been supervised at Pitt and that embarassment would have never happened. Keita would have then never had a reason to come out with his allegations.

Look at Ohio State and look at Baylor.  Baylor is KILLING it with recruits.  BAYLOR!!! They had somebody killed. They lost EVERYTHING, but they have Drew had Lacaderius Dunn, a top 25 player, signed almost immediately.  They have top recruits committed for years to come already.  I don't even have to get into Ohio St.

College basketball is the easiest thing to turn around.  You have FIVE guys.  Norm started with two very good players in Show and Hamilton--that's 40%.  

Great post....

If the school had not let Jarvis go in season the PITT fiasco would have never happened...

Poison

« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2008, 11:38:52 AM »
Cmon now, you cant downplay this loss. IONA beat St Johns the last 3 times they played, its no wonder SJU refuses to play the Gaels during the regular season. IONA claims ownership of the Redstorm.

we waxed drexel two years ago, and they were a great team.

it really told us a lot about our team until we played a very comparable maryland team that jumped out to a 51-3 lead in the first half. how do you know what it means if you don't even know what it is?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 12:22:24 PM by Poison »

« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2008, 12:14:28 PM »
they'll always defend him and talk about how jarvis wrecked the program and how the "facuilties were a major hurdle"  if we don't win this year, they can say boothe was injuried.

Jarvis did wreck the program!  Is their anyone that disagrees with that statement?

I disagree with that statement entirely.  He was just coming off three consecutive tournament appearances and an NIT title--with a team at the end of the season that would have beaten the previous year's team IMO.  He had a future NBA player, Quinton Hosley signed, and Price who turned out to be a helluva college player.  He also had a McDonald's All-American playing point guard--and ended up being the only Johnnie to make the NCAA tournament since.

If he was fired after the 2003 season or at the end of the 2004 season, they would have been supervised at Pitt and that embarassment would have never happened. Keita would have then never had a reason to come out with his allegations.

Look at Ohio State and look at Baylor.  Baylor is KILLING it with recruits.  BAYLOR!!! They had somebody killed. They lost EVERYTHING, but they have Drew had Lacaderius Dunn, a top 25 player, signed almost immediately.  They have top recruits committed for years to come already.  I don't even have to get into Ohio St.

College basketball is the easiest thing to turn around.  You have FIVE guys.  Norm started with two very good players in Show and Hamilton--that's 40%.  

Great post....

If the school had not let Jarvis go in season the PITT fiasco would have never happened...

I think it would have... Jarvis didn't run a tight ship on the road either. . . .
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2008, 12:39:15 PM »

who's wrecking it now? jarvis?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 12:39:51 PM by Poison »

pmg911

« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2008, 12:56:41 PM »

Great post....

I think it would have... Jarvis didn't run a tight ship on the road either. . . .

JJ..   sorry but you are wrong for one major reason...

If Jarvis had been coaching the team at this time. . the team would have flown to/from Pittsburgh on a charter flight and they would have left Pittsburgh after the game and not have been in the hotel...

« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2008, 01:07:47 PM »

Let get the facts correct 2001 we did not make any post season. 2002 we made the NCAA. 2003 we made the NIT and made a great run to win the NIT, but if the NIT had the same selection process that it has under Norm's era we would not have had a chance to make that run. We would not have made the NIT that year with a 16 and 13 record.

So your 3 consecutive season is wrong.

Who ever said Price was coming the St. John's that year. I do not remeber that.

A lot of people had a hand in wrecking the St. John's program, but one of those hands was Jarvis.

Poison

« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2008, 01:16:15 PM »

Great post....

JJ..   sorry but you are wrong for one major reason...

If Jarvis had been coaching the team at this time. . the team would have flown to/from Pittsburgh on a charter flight and they would have left Pittsburgh after the game and not have been in the hotel...

the team had already given up on the season by that point.
jarvis' teams had always started slow, and turned a corner of some kind.

once they fired him, the kids felt like they didn't have to listen to anyone.
at least that is how it looked to me.

« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2008, 01:31:55 PM »

Part of Ohio State's recruiting success lies in the hands of Thad Matta. He was a proven head coach @ Xavier and had the borders sealed in Ohio. It was Daequan Cook and David Lightly (both ohio hs players) that helped with recruiting Greg Oden and Mike Connelly. They all played together on team USA.

I can understand it would be a difficult task to close the borders in NYC, but i cannot believe we are still behind in recruiting...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 01:39:01 PM by NYCbuckeye »

Poison

« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2008, 06:14:27 PM »

Part of Ohio State's recruiting success lies in the hands of Thad Matta. He was a proven head coach @ Xavier and had the borders sealed in Ohio. It was Daequan Cook and David Lightly (both ohio hs players) that helped with recruiting Greg Oden and Mike Connelly. They all played together on team USA.

I can understand it would be a difficult task to close the borders in NYC, but i cannot believe we are still behind in recruiting...

that's right. kids play for the coach. the guy that will get them to the nba.
boeheim, calhoun, pitino, huggins, dixon now, and we can't compete.

Randomhero423

« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2008, 06:17:03 PM »

patientence is key.

« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2008, 08:05:55 PM »

patientence is key.

So is patience.

Marillac

« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2008, 12:19:21 AM »

Let get the facts correct 2001 we did not make any post season. 2002 we made the NCAA. 2003 we made the NIT and made a great run to win the NIT, but if the NIT had the same selection process that it has under Norm's era we would not have had a chance to make that run. We would not have made the NIT that year with a 16 and 13 record.

So your 3 consecutive season is wrong.

Who ever said Price was coming the St. John's that year. I do not remeber that.

A lot of people had a hand in wrecking the St. John's program, but one of those hands was Jarvis.

You are right. I keep forgetting the Omar Cook year when I remember back.  Before that year, however, we had two straight years in the NCAA.  Then a year after, followed by an NIT Title.

I was referring to Bruce Price, not AJ Price.  Price went on to have a helluva career in college. 

Regardless of whether it was three straight or interrupted by one season without an appearance, Mike Jarvis didn't ruin this program.  A big name coach would have been able to pickup and run with this team like Drew at Baylor or Matta at Ohio St.  There may have been some bad feelings about the school, but there was also a TON of excitement with a new coach at a (then) big-time school.

« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2008, 12:24:17 AM »
I've been told that St. John's won the scrimmage, even though the Johnnies didn't play their best game.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2008, 07:35:44 AM »
I've been told that St. John's won the scrimmage, even though the Johnnies didn't play their best game.

and after all that, we won the game that we're not even sure was a game.
it makes you nuts when you hear you've lost to the likes of Iona.

Thanks for the info. Winning if only by a small margin against an improving MAAC team w out our pg isn't tragic at all. Louisville played 2 d2 teams tight.

Scrimmage & Malik
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2008, 04:13:49 PM »
Is it really possible that we can't find out how the scrimmage went nor how healthy Malik is??

« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2008, 04:29:33 PM »
Lets put the rumors to rest.

St. John's won first half by 14pts. Malik went out with an injury.

St. John's lost 2nd half by 1 point. Justin, Mase, Evans, Dele, Paris didn't play at all 2nd half all non injury related.

« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2008, 04:32:45 PM »
so any word on the injury to Boothe?

Sounds like you might know but do not want to post.

Poison

« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2008, 04:44:28 PM »

St. John's lost 2nd half by 1 point. Justin, Mase, Evans, Dele, Paris didn't play at all 2nd half all non injury related.

Thank you JJ.

Poison

Q
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2008, 06:23:57 PM »
so far no points, no boards and 2 fouls.

0 points in the first half.

Oh, and let me add, I wish nothing but wonderful things for this wonderful young man because it would be wrong of me not to.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 06:47:03 PM by Poison »

kjd01067

« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2008, 07:38:52 PM »

So much for Baldi's 30 point blow out lol