Rob Thomas

• 70 replies
Rob Thomas
« on: November 22, 2008, 09:41:30 AM »
Does anyone know what's going on? Why no playing time? How is he physically?

Poison

Re: Rob Thomas
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 09:42:04 AM »

i know what's going on. Norm lied to us.

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 11:22:34 AM »
who do you want him to play over???

he'll get his minutes now and lets hope he shows us something

gonzalo

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 03:23:29 AM »

Can you explain it, please?

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 08:52:13 AM »
After miss firing on his first few shots Thomas settled down quite nicely. He ended up with 8 pts, 8 rebs and was all over the court diving for loose balls. He had some nice post moves, played physical defense and forced a couple of jump balls. Thomas actually reminded me of a taller, skinier version of coach Singleton. With mason going down we are going to need him to give an effort like this on a regular basis. Can he deliver?

Randomhero423

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 09:12:57 AM »
to be honest... he might have gotten 8 pts and 8 rbs, but he missed some easy lay ups, and he still looks out of shape.  i'm really rooting for him though because he's REALLY working hard out there on the court, but he just seems (after talking to numerous guys about him) like a shell of his former self. 

i don't think he can because he still looks like he's 60% of what he was.  he just seems too slow for big east competition.  howard was horrible. 

Poison

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 09:37:43 AM »

norm said he'd be able to play, an play well. he lied.

Can you explain it, please?

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 09:50:12 AM »
Poison! You never use the quote button right lol. Make sure you post below the rest of the text. I don't know why you do that every time but its funny.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

gonzalo

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 10:07:03 AM »

http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/thomas_rob00.html

Norm Roberts On Thomas: "Rob had a great offseason. This is the first time Rob has been able to go through an entire summer's worth of conditioning and working out every day, and he has done a great job on his body. Rob has lost almost 20 pounds and has gotten quicker and more confident. He is getting back to the form that he was in high school, and we knew that would take time. He has really worked hard on his body, and in school."

Is Roberts saying that he would play and play well?

[/quote]

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 10:02:48 PM »
sounds to me that's what he's saying.

sjd8886

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 01:53:32 AM »
i dont get how the kid got so badly outta shape...his knee was messed up, but why wasnt he working on his upper body and on a restricted diet so he wouldnt gain weight...seems like in a year he went from a beast to a,well, as it was said, shell of his former self...i realize the extent of the injury but still

Moose

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 08:48:27 AM »
i dont get how the kid got so badly outta shape...his knee was messed up, but why wasnt he working on his upper body and on a restricted diet so he wouldnt gain weight...seems like in a year he went from a beast to a,well, as it was said, shell of his former self...i realize the extent of the injury but still

Most ppl who get injured lose a lot of their physical self especially with knee injuries because you just simply can't do what you normally do become sedentary.  He looks a lot better this year.  It's more psychological and getting the rust off and hoenstly the Mason injury opens the door.  Its a different dimension to the game he has now.  He is a crafty scorer.  You can't teach someone a nose for the basket.  He has that.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 09:49:49 AM »

http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/thomas_rob00.html

Norm Roberts On Thomas: "Rob had a great offseason. This is the first time Rob has been able to go through an entire summer's worth of conditioning and working out every day, and he has done a great job on his body. Rob has lost almost 20 pounds and has gotten quicker and more confident. He is getting back to the form that he was in high school, and we knew that would take time. He has really worked hard on his body, and in school."

Is Roberts saying that he would play and play well?

[/quote]

Thomas played like he had tore his acl the day before the game.
Roberts is full of it.

pmg911

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 10:55:01 AM »

Most ppl who get injured lose a lot of their physical self especially with knee injuries because you just simply can't do what you normally do become sedentary.  He looks a lot better this year.  It's more psychological and getting the rust off and hoenstly the Mason injury opens the door.  Its a different dimension to the game he has now.  He is a crafty scorer.  You can't teach someone a nose for the basket.  He has that.

One of the chosen few from Redmen.com has joined the mix.. .     WELCOME

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
Since Rob Thomas started SJU classes Jan 2007, when does his eligibility run out ?
(I think he first played Nov 07)
Dec 2010 ?,   May 2011?

Does SJU have to give him extra year scholarship  (re redshirt injury March 07)?
Could they take him off athletic scholarship & roster May 2010,
give him need based schol for last semester (fall 2010) ,

& release 1 scholarship for 2010 year ?
Molloy '71

Moose

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 12:54:56 PM »

One of the chosen few from Redmen.com has joined the mix.. .     WELCOME

Thanks
I think this place has a lot to offer the fans of STJ hoops.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Poison

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 01:11:56 PM »

did you really think he looked good? I thought he was hard to watch.
boothe found him right under the basket for a wide open dunk, and he bricked it. Maybe he got 3 inches off the floor.

on the next possession, he tried a baby hook, and was rejected.

I hope it's just rust, but we're going to need him against the big boys, and he struggled against Howard.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 01:30:23 PM by Poison »

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 01:25:03 PM »

did you really thunk he looked good? I thought he was hard to watch.
boothe found him right under the basket for a wide open dunk, and he bricked it. Maybe he got 3 inches off the floor.

I hope it's just rust, but we're going to need him against the big boys, and he struggled against Howard.

He hasn't played significant minutes in almost 3 years(2 at St. John's and I believe he didn't play much his last year in high school) and coming off the worst knee injury our trainer has ever seen.  Give the kid a break already.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 01:30:44 PM »

did you really thunk he looked good? I thought he was hard to watch.

He hasn't played significant minutes in almost 3 years(2 at St. John's and I believe he didn't play much his last year in high school) and coming off the worst knee injury our trainer has ever seen.  Give the kid a break already.

fair enough.

pmg911

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 12:19:36 PM »

He is getting a break...       he was completely unqualified academically and yet has still been given a scholarship to get a FREE education....